SHOP PIC's - Catch up; NEW BIGGER OVEN AND MOVED FINALLY

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
jbondox

Post by jbondox »

did you start with a business plan to see how you are going to cover every base?

seriously if you want to be profitable in a few years and instead of tossing your own life's worth to a sinking ship (all business's in the beginning) than you really need to walk away for a bit and start to look at writing a plan, it is like the playbook for a football team... just hope it isn't the Browns' playbook even though they got lucky yesterday...well there you go luck

what is around you for competition?
how many people in the city
income of avg household

everything is a factor

As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 12,005 people, 5,364 households, and 2,880 families residing in the town. The population density was 375.3 people per square mile (144.9/km2). There were 5,686 housing units at an average density of 177.7/sq mi (68.6/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 94.06% White, 1.13% Black or African American, 0.26% Native American, 1.67% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.55% from other races, and 2.28% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.67% of the population.

There were 5,364 households out of which 27.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 37.8% were married couples living together, 12.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 46.3% were non-families. 37.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.15 and the average family size was 2.84.

In the town the population was spread out with 22.3% under the age of 18, 6.6% from 18 to 24, 29.2% from 25 to 44, 25.3% from 45 to 64, and 16.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 84.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 79.9 males.

The median income for a household in the town was $31,997, and the median income for a family was $44,267. Males had a median income of $31,001 versus $25,329 for females. The per capita income for the town was $19,554. About 9.2% of families and 13.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.0% of those under age 18 and 9.2% of those age 65 or over.
oh shit you are f****d, even if you do internet sales of powder coating, you can't compete profitably with other companies doing the same.

Look I had the most bad arse business plan ever designed, I thought I took every thing into consideration... I had to update it every 3 months because of factors... I struggled in the beginning because i opened up with only 7 cents in my bank account, sustained business from there forward, had an issue with the business partner, almost ruined me, as i was recovering from that I skipped a few plays and landed here... which was part of the 10 year goal, done in 3 years... there is some success, but if you plan to live off of it and provide for a family... go get a job at MCD's

I looked at an aerial view of the layout also...

not very favorable...

I am not saying you will not succeed, and chances are you won't... you have about a 1% chance to succeed... but please think everything out... from 1 business owner to another... well prior owner, since I sold it off to my employer.

I see there is a river also, do marine installs

good luck
James Shields
[email][email protected][/email]
[url]http://www.northolmstedperformance.com[/url]

[img]http://www.northolmstedperformance.com/images/Business_card_front.sized.jpg[/img]
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

well i defi appreciate the input ^^^^^^

But the fact of matter is that I will not be quitting my full time contract work I am doing now, nor will my wife be quitting her teaching at the elementary schools, until it becomes viable enough for us to do so. EVERYONE I have spoken to around town here travel of upwards 2 hours for their pc'ing needs. Flat street motorcycle repairs (repairs/restores motocyles) goes to Enfield CT (2 states away), the two mfg's I have spoken with so far go to the seacoast of NH to get their pc'ing needs met (which is apprx 2 hours away)... now that is south and east, west and north... North it will take you 1.5 hours (or better if they still exists) before getting to a place in W. Lebanon, NH before you find someone that does PC'ing, and west... I am inclined to think that at least Bennington (1.5 hours), maybe more and would have to get into NY... so with that said... it will take...

So the business plan at this point, is getting out of basement, move my office/storage (which I have to have storage anyways) from Putney Road to around the corner, and do my powder around the corner and I am paying the same money as I am for my storage across town. AND it allows me to get all my gear into a place that would be more conducive/viable for working for customers.

It is not anything i have discussed with attorney or business advisor or anything like that... but i am not at that point. NOR am i that unaware... I am keeping my full time contract work at Amtraders, and merely doing stuff on side to help pay for this hobby. and hopefully it can grow. I have been self employed for last 5 years, owned and run my own Sole-pro doing the Gift Books, (which went well untill everyone that worked for me, went into re-hap, or ran off with gurls they fell in love with or whatever), BUT treating it as a business in the sense that I will be pitching my services to folks around town, and maybe it can grow into something... but until then, I will continue to work at the wooden canoe shop i work at and earn my 30K from there w/ wife earning her 10K for teaching.

BUT in a nut shell there is no one around that does powder coating for like miles/hours away. AND the people i have spoken to, would simply love to know/hear that someone is around in town... From mfg's, to race car teams, frame builders out of bernardson, to people that restore motocycles, video arcade games consoles, - in fact guy just down the street said he looked for PC'ing for his business (of restoring arcade games) and closet he could find was like 2 hours away... and nearly fell over when he heard I did PC here.... NOW GRANTED that is only a number of people i could count on one hand... but this is just from last couple months of doing what I do normally, and not actually going out and looking for work. There are a lot of Mfg's around here, and i feel confident that once word gets out, it will be getting busy... BUT we will have to see, and again, this is not like I quite my job, and sinking my saviungs into it. BUT you're right I should have business plan, but plan at this point is to continue to do it as a hobby, and hopefully make money at it also.

Matt
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

i am almost thinking Phoenix Coatings and Sounds
or maybe phoenix powder and sounds???

OR MAYBE HOW ABOUT

Sound Coatings...

Get it.. sound as in tight, or perfectly viable...?
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

check out new air compressor i just picked up:

125psi,
10.5cfm @ 125
12 cfm @ 90
w/ 60 gal tank
Atlas Copco
runs on 240, single phase, single stage motor...

200 delivered!
from shop in neighboring town... should work well for pressure blasting.. as thats what they used it for in fact...

had a picture, but on other computer at the shop... pics shortly, maybe once i get it hooked up!

M
GX3

Post by GX3 »

Good luck to you Matt............. With you being the only guy in town you should do well. Just be careful of the Bikers :rambo: they love there bike almost as much as we love our PG gear
ZX950 X2 1 blk 1 wht
MS1KTA black NIC
MS1KTA white NIB
MS2250TA (x3) 1 in Blue 1 in Red
MS2125TA
MAC200 NIB
MS275 (x2) 1 NIB
MPS2240 NIB
Tantrum 500.2 (x2)
SA1.0 (x2)
ZPA 0.5 X2
ZPA 0.3 X3
Ti DD10 ............
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

GX3 wrote:Good luck to you Matt............. With you being the only guy in town you should do well. Just be careful of the Bikers :rambo: they love there bike almost as much as we love our PG gear
thanks Bub!
funny thing i also learned today that the next closet guy down in Northampton Mass just closed his doors and moved due to a divorce... so what it was before with having to travel at least 45 minutes to get to another, now just got even longer. Talking to parts guy down at bond auto and he nearly fell over that there will be pc'ing in town he is a part of a bike crew/team (whatever thingy), and they were all upset this past week when he had gone down to look for him for some work and discovered his sign was gone and even the neighbors didnt know where he went to, just that she got the house and he had to leave, (that usual routine)...! so he says I better be up and running for the winter as I will be flooded with all their little projects over the winter as that is when they pull them off the road, and get that shit done for the following season.

I have a half mind just to pull trigger and get a 2/3K oven and call it a day, BUT TRYING TO STAY OFF THE CARD!

thanks again... think something will pop here real quick with all kinds of work, but i need the oven to make it happen OF course 20 x 20 x 15 is nothing to sneeze at for oven size, but it is not going to do the frames and stuff. MAYBE just get a couple of those gas powered infrared lights that allow you to do that larger stuff w/o oven... I dunno... been talking to people and mostly hear bad things about those setups... so not entirely sure about going that route... maybe. people that had hard time with that stuff was like trying to do it in the outside environment, with garage door open in feburary, or whatever, it really needs to be in a controlled setting, and with 2K sq. ft shop, i could make it happen.... but i have to get Joergs stuff done ( :lol: ), and wengs, and now itchy's... BUT for those of you i just mentioned... i want to PC your gear once i get the upgraded gun up and running so we can be sure to get the best possible results!

jlyk

me

PS -> Powder Coat King, Hummm... i dunno... i was thinking something along those lines where "powder coat" or Powder coating" is in the name so it is easy to figure out, so when i put banner up on roof for the downtown area to see, it'll be a no brainer.... not like green mtn sounds and powder, that could mean anything from snow boards to guitars. so Maybe just keep it simple and Brattleboro Powder Coating -Or something I just havent gotten there yet. I gotta get all stuff from all over the place i have spread out everywhere in to shop.... OH BUT I did score two fans for exhaust on those two far windows in/for the oven room, for free too!

m
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

powder king........
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

Maybe "Powder Coat-King"

play on words kinda - isn't it?
GX3

Post by GX3 »

ttocs wrote:powder king........

Sounds like your a coke dealer ...... You would still have the bikers wanting your services
ZX950 X2 1 blk 1 wht
MS1KTA black NIC
MS1KTA white NIB
MS2125TA
MAC200 NIB
MS275 (x2) 1 NIB
MPS2240 NIB
Tantrum 500.2 (x2)
SA1.0 (x2)
ZPA 0.5 X2
ZPA 0.3 X3
Ti DD10 ............
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

GX3 wrote:
ttocs wrote:powder king........

Sounds like your a coke dealer ...... You would still have the bikers wanting your services
tru tru

maybe powder methking? LOL :roll: :lol:
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

OKAY GUYS!!!!

ALL MOVED IN, just need to set it all up now. Got spray booth in line/works and should be all set up in next couple days!
Wiring gets done this week, maybe as early as tomorrow in fact

GARAGE DOOR major issue #1, think i will pull it out, and make a large swinging barn door like thingy... just not possible to get it up and running under 2K, so i think i will go a different route.

NOW NEXT IN LINE A NAME FOR THE BUSINESS/SHOP...

First a little history then I will go over the choices I think i have come up with and have been suggested on thread thus far.

1) my Son is Tommy (Thomas) J. Hyde
2) We live in Town called Brattleboro in Vermont AKA Green Mtn State in Vermont, in New England.
3) I AM A PG FREAK

So here is what I have come up with:

1) TJ's Powder Coating - (inspired by son's name)
2) Fathers and Sons Powder Coating
3) Performance Powder Coating
3) PPC - Phoenix Powder Coating
4) Team Phoenix Powder Coating
5) Team Gold Powder Coating
6) Green Mountain Powder Coating
7) Northeast Powder Coating
8) Dungeon Powder Coating
9) Paint with Powder

(all are ", LLC"; (i.e. Paint with Powder, LLC))

ALL OF WHICH COULD ACTUALLY DROP THE POWDER in any of them. and then add an s to coating- (i.e. Team Phoenix Coatings)

AND as a heads up, I have kinda shyed away from including anything with audio in the name. I really want ti just keep it simple, and not get folks confused. The custom stero installation can be a feature of the business, but not some i want to aggreessively promote. I want to focus on the powder coating and if Radio Shack throws work my way for an install or two, thats great, but I think/feel i can do a better job at the PC if I stay focused on it- ya know? PLUS there is not going to be all that much stereo installtion like the wai i would like to do it around here. If i was in more a metropolitian area, that could very well be the case, but once i do the 4 kids that owns a car in town, that gig is over... ya know? The head unit install work from Radio Shack is cool, and they have been giving my number out. got 3 calls so far... so I think that niche is pretty welll seeded, it'll be word of mouth with that, and i think the way I would like to keep it.

AND WAIT UNTIL YOU GUYS SEE WHAT I AM UP TO AND CAME ACROSS TODAY! A little premature right now, but it is going to blow your mind!!

AND WHO IS GOOD WITH ARTWORK??? i could come up with something i am sure... but which ever the name, I would like to see/ask for some help in that dept, and willing to pay even for it. Need a Business card, Banner, and maybe artwork for side of truck... nothing immediate but something to think about/consider... maybe someone out of work and is savy with vector artwork for business logo(s), banners, and other business needs, letterheads, etc...

m
jbondox

Post by jbondox »

if you want to appeal to some more also... throw in the word discount in there or in the description

such as

TJ's
discount powder coatings

or you can get creative

TJ's
chapter 13 powder coatings... that would be funny actually NOT!

I had an awesome name but I just brain farted... i will have one for you by tomorrow
James Shields
[email][email protected][/email]
[url]http://www.northolmstedperformance.com[/url]

[img]http://www.northolmstedperformance.com/images/Business_card_front.sized.jpg[/img]
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

talking with a few people here in town, and they said that the larger the name the more appealing it is potentially psycologically... i.e. Northeast Coatings, or East Coast Powder Coating / East Coast coatings, etc...

the TJ's, The Father & Sons, and stuff like that, make (potentially speaking now) make people maybe feel as it is a small shop. Guess it all depends on what kind of feeling i want to have when people say the name. think theres a lot to that, and i kinda like the idea of a "larger" sounding name... New England Coatings or something like that...

Some more thought needs to be done in trying to decide what kind of feeling i want ppl to have... The smaller the name - possibly the more personal feeling someone might have, the larger the name, it might be looked at as it is more of a cattle call, but able to do larger production runs, which I am defi not ready for, would love it, but not right now.
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

East Coast Powder Coating sounds clean to the point 8)
sound like you have a good amount of people to keep you busy at first!
I would spend more time on the things that will pay the bills and when word of mouth will get out there you do crazy nice installs/repair ect go from there. :clap: :bigsmurf:
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
HoseHead
Tim Horton Himself

Post by HoseHead »

Acoustical Powder

Audio Powder

Colour Your Audio

Aural Visions

See it, Hear it

Visual Resonance

Powdered Perceptions

PshycoPowder

PowerPowder

Powder This

Powder 'n Power
The only stupid question is the one not asked .......
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

well finally got all stuff moved in....

ATTN: folks that are waiting for gear to be powder coated and shipped out. expect it to be done next weekend or sooner....

Will go in order of "orders received". Unless it makes sense to do all one color first (like Itchy, weng, and Joerg of whom all get same color scheme "Franked", so to make that batch up first would make sense as it would get the majority taken care of in one color batch) then maybe do the odd ball stuff last... but the line consists of the following:

DDD
JOERG
WENG
ITCHY
DBINCOG

Wiring/Electric will get put in this week at some point. So depending on exactly when, like tues or wed, then maybe be able to get some stuff knocked out in the course of the week at some point. Otherwise, given that i now have 3 day weekends from here on out, i will have 3 days on weekends to given attention to powder coating vs. my full time job.

BUT all gear and stuff is/has been moved in....STILL A LONG way to go (i.e. unpack, find homes for lots of stuff here/there, etc...)but still a lil ways to go before i can claim everything is in order, and in place. Some insulating to do before winter arrives..., and water needs turning on...stuff like that... but for most part we are in, and up and running.

JUST keeping folks up to speed with developments, and progress.

One other idea for name is "Spring Street Coatings"???
haven't decided quite yet on a name, but for now i am using Green Mtn Powder & Sounds (it's on business cards, but it really needs to change i think.... either Green Mtn Coatings, or Spring Street Coatings, or Northeast Powder Coating. WHich would net the following acronyms: GMC (Green Mtn Coatings), NPC (Northeast Powder Coating), or i am actually still a lil stuck on SSC (Spring Street Coatings) hehe get it GMC!??!
Attachments
IMAGE_397.jpg
IMAGE_397.jpg (16.36 KiB) Viewed 8970 times
IMAGE_394.jpg
IMAGE_394.jpg (10.27 KiB) Viewed 8970 times
IMAGE_393.jpg
IMAGE_393.jpg (17.29 KiB) Viewed 8970 times
IMAGE_392.jpg
IMAGE_392.jpg (12.37 KiB) Viewed 8970 times
IMAGE_390.jpg
IMAGE_390.jpg (13.16 KiB) Viewed 8970 times
IMAGE_389.jpg
IMAGE_389.jpg (16.04 KiB) Viewed 8970 times
IMAGE_388.jpg
IMAGE_388.jpg (13.36 KiB) Viewed 8970 times
IMAGE_386.jpg
IMAGE_386.jpg (14.78 KiB) Viewed 8970 times
IMAGE_385.jpg
IMAGE_385.jpg (14.07 KiB) Viewed 8970 times
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

HoseHead wrote:Acoustical Powder

Audio Powder

Colour Your Audio

Aural Visions

See it, Hear it

Visual Resonance

Powdered Perceptions

PshycoPowder

PowerPowder

Powder This

Powder 'n Power

I didnt even see these... those are defi some thinkers. i will have to mull these over a bit! THX hh
GX3

Post by GX3 »

Northeast Powder Coating IMO would be best it opens you up to a lot more business ...... some one in NYC would know your in the same region ....... Green Mtn Coatings and spring street is too local of a name ...... unless thats what your looking for ...... IMO
ZX950 X2 1 blk 1 wht
MS1KTA black NIC
MS1KTA white NIB
MS2125TA
MAC200 NIB
MS275 (x2) 1 NIB
MPS2240 NIB
Tantrum 500.2 (x2)
SA1.0 (x2)
ZPA 0.5 X2
ZPA 0.3 X3
Ti DD10 ............
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

kinda looking for any and all of kinds of business. know whadeyemean?
but being local, will net that effect, and i thinhk with a larger name and exposure on web etc... will maybe get business from further out... kinda what I thought too.

Northeast Powder Coating NPC kinda has ring to it.

m
scottn29

Post by scottn29 »

I think NPC sounds good
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

you should talk with tom And see if he can make you a nice web site to help buss. i don't know cost but a good idea?simple clean easy....
good luck let me know if you need anything
like a year ago I said i would help you out if I could
thanks for everything let me know what I owe you for shipping and the ax if you could
:lol: :D :) Mike
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
deathcloud

Post by deathcloud »

I deff like the way Northeast Powder Coating sounds. Its short and too the point and also people can say hey did you call NPC yet to see how much it will cost? haha easy name. And easy to say short. I just got my macbook pro and been messing around with Photoshop CS4 and was thinking graphically for your business card what it would entail. Was thinking either a back drop of a mountain range but blacked out with Northeast Powder Coatings and have the N P C bolded or really big to make it stand out. What would your store tag line be?

NPC - for all your powder coating needs
NPC - powder coating you'll love to see
NPC - powder coating you can trust
NPC - we live to powder coat
NPC - you bring it, we powder coat it

That's all I can think of. I hope one of them jumps out at any of your guys minds or gets you in the right direction. I will fiddle around with photoshop and see what I can do. But if someone else wants to have a go at it then do it. I am novice. Still learning! haha
Kenwood Excelon x592
x200.4(in process of repair OMFG YES)
rsd65cs front
rsd65cs rear
x1200.1
2 rsdc124
using zx350 until repair of x200.4
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

Nah, it all sounds great! ^^^^^^

And think youre right NPC sounds like quick and easy and all that and to the point... etc...

love to see what artwork you come up with... i havent spent much time on computer with the artwork stuff, as I didn't know what name to use officially....but i think the NOC will take it.

How about this:

"Paint with Powder at NPC (or spell it out in full) Northeast Powder Coating
"Paint with Powder call Northeast Powder Coating"

no? maybe sounds too much like an elementary schools art class? i dunno...
deathcloud

Post by deathcloud »

Yea I dunno honestly I think when you say "paint with powder" it is a bit too vague and you really need to incorporate powder coating somewhere in your tag line because it directly correlates with what your business does. Or just have it really easy and straight to the point like...

Northeast Powder Coating
"Your powder coating specialist"

It is straight and to the point and even let's customers know that you are good at what you do by putting specialist at the end. It gives them sort of a peace of mind when reading that tag line knowing that you are a specialist and you specialize in powder coating. Next what soothes the consumers mind is actually testimonials which would be great to have on your website and have big companies but also regular people write how well your job is aka people on this phorum getting your work done. This is all potential you have to make ur company become great.
Kenwood Excelon x592
x200.4(in process of repair OMFG YES)
rsd65cs front
rsd65cs rear
x1200.1
2 rsdc124
using zx350 until repair of x200.4
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

get your ass onto candlepower forums and coat a couple of maglites. Any fancy sparkly stuff at decent prices goes down well.

If you're thinking about anodizing at some point, I dare say that's a good place to start with that lot, too. If you also have some relationships with machine / CNC shops - make it easy for people to give you money and make it easy for them and they will love you for it.

Also think about your website, the name and logo and business cards - you can keep it simple to start with, but you need a presence.

Bret