SHOP PIC's - Catch up; NEW BIGGER OVEN AND MOVED FINALLY

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

^^ using that method, I am inclined to think that the drilling/tapping of new screw holes will be difficult if one was to "overlap" into the area of the cut off screw... know what I mean?? i mean maybe, but it would be a slight concern.

BUT yeah had thought of that... and not even sure new holes would need to be drilled and tapped, b/c the ones there now (OEM) are 4-40's and i bet we could find 4-40 aluminum screws somewhere... im sure that animal exists...

BUMP LOOKING FOR PAGE 7 (nice it worked!)

Attached is my Banner i will be putting out front of shop---what you guys think???
Attachments
KK.LLC.FINALsmall.pdf
(6.5 MiB) Downloaded 297 times
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

Bueller Bueller Bueller

i see ppl have downloaded it... any thoughts/input / constructive critism(s)???

I also thought about adding this (see bottom line on new .pdf) to the banner- or does it just not make sense/perhaps too much info??? and/or not fitting/proper to be included with that ?:? I just want to add/include some verbiage that indicates something to the effect that I specialize in the restorative aspects of car audio. Not that means anything to anyone around here- but it might get phone calls in asking about install gigs? like i have set up w/ radio shack and have gotten a couple jobs from ppl being referred to me from them... so the issue i have found (on one occasion thus far) is that a woman stopped by and was uncertain if she had the right place- b/c the phone msg only states Powder/ceramic coatings. So with the signage out there that states something about car audio, well, at least it is fitting and would maybe make more sense to folks when they stop by or come to shop... no?

So seriously i need some input as to what you guys think... just go with it as in #1 .pdf/banner or maybe go ahead and add something in the bottom like i did, and if so then what exactly???

I guess the "repairs" is what I primarily have a concern with- I am not a pro at fixing amps, I do however have someone here locally, and or maybe could throw/sub the repair work to one of our family members...
BUT it might get coating work if someone sees their amp can get fixed/repaired, and while the board or something off for repairs, i can coat it. I dunno just thinking outloud, and not that there are more than three people in town with aftermarket car audio... BUT at least it states something to do w/ car audio- no?

What say you guys!?!?"!- please

I dont have a crew of guys here to run it by.... it's only me :oops:
Attachments
KK.LLC.FINAL.CA.pdf
(6.5 MiB) Downloaded 470 times
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I liked the first one more. TMI in the second.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

I like the 1st aswell.... Less is more.....
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

okay guys thanks a bunch...
I kinda liked the second a lil bit more, as it might have made people wonder, think, ask questions... BUT the other half of me also thought same as you guys did.

going with the first and/but going to add ATV just before Motorcycle as well
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

I like the 2nd one if you don't say anything about car audio noone will ever think to ask about restoring an amp finish.
Misfire

Post by Misfire »

Well I happen to like the second one as well. I also wish you well in your business adventure! Now if we could just get the screen printing down, we could really restore alot of abused Phoenix Gold amps.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

okay so here we have some pic's of work i did last night... running to breakfast w/ some friends... back in short bit...

WENGS- 430 franked.

(TBH, not sure if i like how it came out) but DO LIKE the idea/process/possibilities it opens up, need to work it out a little better though- think i waited too long to remove the hi-temp maskig-tape but hence / and/but that is why i did it in inconspicuous place...as it was my first masking project - just wanted to see how/what/ is all involved and how it looks when finished...
It can be stripped (if you weng dont like it)... Bear in mind it will be under the board and not visible anyways.

(addition)- i started typing this a few hours ago before breakfast... went and ate, stopped at shop way back and looked at sink/plates. Think i will be re-doing the plates this evening. AND you're (you WENG) prolly asking yourself why i did them again, as i had already done them and sent pic's expressing that they were completed... BUT since then, i had made a new/another batch of FRANK-Mix so, i wanted them all to be shot with the same batch for a more consistent look/finish...

Have been going through a little issues with the powder taking to the flat/bottom part of fins... so I tried a few different procedures/processes...

1) in stead of hanging vertically i hung horizontal (see pics), and the thought was that gravity would assist with getting powder to reach those bottom of the fins areas. WELL it worked a little better i think.. BUT still having some issues with Faraday effect.

2) Also shot warm... called hot-flocking... where you pre-heat part first, and then shoot when it hits apprx 140/160*f

3) Also tried various different nozzles on the gun for a more direct spray versus the tapered/large spray distribution from gun...

Together with any combination of these changes i have found that the powder (with still a little effort/time/and patience) it eventually does get in there... in to those bottom fin areas little better-

But in/on some angles you can see heavy concentration areas of flake... NOW it could be becasue of the modified/altered way of applying the powder, and trying to get the flake/gloss into the bottom areas of the fins. Running the flow heavy/heavier than normal on the fins, consequently it also runs heavy on the sides and the more openly exposed areas... SO on the sides of sink if you look real close, you can see where there are some areas that the flake is real heavily concentrated. It's not bad, just a little more sparkle than OEM to some degree. After every frank job i do, i always hold up an OEM franked piece next to it to compare the results.
Looks good from here, with the exception of the plates... I will be shooting those over again i think- this evening and should have the amp buttoned up shortly thereafter-

enjoy pic's
Attachments
IMG_1708.jpg
IMG_1708.jpg (118.97 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
IMG_1702.jpg
IMG_1702.jpg (119.35 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
IMG_1706.jpg
IMG_1706.jpg (118.9 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
IMG_1701.jpg
IMG_1701.jpg (121.64 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
IMG_1700.jpg
IMG_1700.jpg (106.8 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
IMG_1692.jpg
IMG_1692.jpg (142.33 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
IMG_1681.jpg
IMG_1681.jpg (93.35 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
IMG_1680.jpg
IMG_1680.jpg (68.87 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
IMG_1677.jpg
IMG_1677.jpg (116.53 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
IMG_1675.jpg
IMG_1675.jpg (85.61 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
IMG_1673.jpg
IMG_1673.jpg (89.38 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
IMG_1669.jpg
IMG_1669.jpg (88.93 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
IMG_1668.jpg
IMG_1668.jpg (85.92 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
IMG_1667.jpg
IMG_1667.jpg (86.4 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
IMG_1665.jpg
IMG_1665.jpg (111.51 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
IMG_1664.jpg
IMG_1664.jpg (108.38 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
IMG_1662.jpg
IMG_1662.jpg (104.54 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

looking at the pic's
I have to say - good job matt-
In the pic's which are very representative of actually look/finish/product-
so maybe it is not as concentrated as i think... there is a little bit heavy on upper left corner (pic 1706)- but for most part it is looking/looks great! if i say so myself

AND yes that "phoenix gold" is on there w/ powder coat-

That is what i am trying to work on as for making/getting text/artwork on the amps. If i had even just a decal for the various end plates... before shooting it in it's final finshed color9s), i could lay a black down, cook/cure, then lay the artwork on over the black as a mask- shoot- cure- remove deal/sticker/artwork/text...

Might be an interesting way of getting the artwork on the plates/covers/etc...

BUT i need still to practice a little more, and get wider tape... removing it was a bitch ass it was done in layers with a more narrow tape
marko

Post by marko »

wow, looks like your getting the hang of that, i did notice the dry area before but thought it may have just been how the pic turned out. that 430 looks absolutely awsome!!
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
2x original shrouded ms2250's.
Route 66 in box + custom m100 to match.
Roadster 66 in flight case
Octane LE in box.
Reactor #186 in flight case.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
AX204A + EQ232 + ZPX2 + TBA set
ZCS6 component set
Tantrum+Titanium bass cubes
Ti12d Elite sub
DD5 + DD10 + 6 Ti blocks!
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

marko wrote:wow, looks like your getting the hang of that, i did notice the dry area before but thought it may have just been how the pic turned out. that 430 looks absolutely awsome!!
you mean the dry area as in like no flake?

if you are referring to picture #1692----thats becasue that is with no flake/gloss having been applied as of yet. First goes a black base coat, cure then the gloss w/ the flake goes on second/last.

so that is why you all see at least one pic (1692) showing no flake- there isnt supposed to be at that point.

think i then showed a pic of the frank mix canister- and that was kinda the intent/hidden msg... like "okay, now here comes the frank mix" displaying pics in chronological order. BUT i might have screwed that up... and put the frank mix hopper before/in front of the the bare black base coat- oops! oh well... anyways, thats why it looks bare/naked of flakein that pic... i hadn't shot it yet .

makes sense?

m
marko

Post by marko »

no, i was thinking about joerg's ms1000 sink, i know when i've painted any m or ms amps it's been a pita to get paint right into the sink nice and wet..
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
2x original shrouded ms2250's.
Route 66 in box + custom m100 to match.
Roadster 66 in flight case
Octane LE in box.
Reactor #186 in flight case.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
AX204A + EQ232 + ZPX2 + TBA set
ZCS6 component set
Tantrum+Titanium bass cubes
Ti12d Elite sub
DD5 + DD10 + 6 Ti blocks!
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

Everything is looking awesome Matt! I really like the work u´re doing! But do us all a favour! Get yourself some serious breathing protection!!! :pray: :pray: :pray:
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

ohj yeah right...
On joergs sink there are defi some slight bald areas... You have to look real close and at certain angles... but it does exist. Joerg assured me that it was fine and to ship- i think he was/is just anxious to get it all pieced together. if i ever come across another 1K sink- i might shoot again for him and swap it out. I mean it's not all that bad, but yeah those fins suck big donkey. It is tough- and with the electrostatic process it creats the faraday effect and makes it virtually impossible to powder down in there- but i thnk i have finally mastered it with the prebaking, and shooting horizontally versus hanging vertiacally. There are NO bald spots on the 430...

the masking process worked out okay- need a lil more practice with respect to that though. Weng's 430 will be famous with that under the board though. Thought about making/doing something like that as my tradmark, maybe company name or PG logo of somekind... not sure though as it would not be OEM looking. BUT who would see it under there anyways? the technicaian that fixes them if ever needed to be, i suppose. :wink:

m
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

joerg wrote:Everything is looking awesome Matt! I really like the work u´re doing! But do us all a favour! Get yourself some serious breathing protection!!! :pray: :pray: :pray:
yeah i hear ya... i honestly have to say that i do normally wear protection... at least a particulate mask, most cases a respirator... but last night it just didnt find it's way to my face. not the norm though- absolutely
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Matt I gotta say that looks kick ass! Nice hidden touch for whoever changes the caps in another 20 years :lol:
weng

Post by weng »

mhyde71 wrote:looking at the pic's
I have to say - good job matt-
That's not a good job.....that's a great job matt ! :clap: :clap:
Stash : MS250, MS275 (white & grey), MQ430, MQ430 franked, MS2125, MS2125TA, MS2250 with fan shroud, MS2250TA (BNIB), MS2250TA (hulk green), MS1000TA, SOFAS with matching EQ230, AX204, AX406, EQ230, TBA. Still looking for FAS and Nickel MS1000
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

Banner arrived today, just now have to go pay the 40.00 sign display fee to town and it will go up on side of building- may do a mock hanging this weekend just to see, but well see how things go...

Dims are 14' x 4' can only roll out half in tv room
M
Attachments
IMG_1775.jpg
IMG_1775.jpg (134.5 KiB) Viewed 8737 times
IMG_1774.jpg
IMG_1774.jpg (122.58 KiB) Viewed 8737 times
IMG_1776.jpg
IMG_1776.jpg (88.24 KiB) Viewed 8737 times
IMG_1777.jpg
IMG_1777.jpg (124.82 KiB) Viewed 8737 times
Misfire

Post by Misfire »

That is awesome! :clap: :clap: :clap: Will definitely grab someones attention as they drive by. Sweet!
MS275, MS2250ta, MS2125TA, Bandit, M44, ZX200, EQ215, EQ230, TX2, PDL1, TBAT Trans+Recvr w/cable
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

yeah hopin so...

AND great FRICKEN NEWS... Just got back from Custom Drive Shaft and a "make shift appt" with them... They, of course do drive shafts, but they are also real big in car restorations, '64 goats, '72 chevelles, etc... and they guys there have, heretofore, been driving hours to boston for sand-blasting and coating needs..... Just got my foot in the door with them and will be blasting a hood for a 64 goat they're working on and they have 3 other hoods they are need of... they are gonna let me try my hand with the one hood, and if all goes well- Im in!!
These guys are from your typical auto body shop. They have a 6 month to year waiting list and sought after from all over the new england and possibly more. This is starting to get real exciting and nerve racking all at same time- I need to be sure i dont screw nothing up... quoted them a hood to be blasted and said they will be dropping it off this coming week.

JOERG - you or any of your friends or anyone else for that matter- while i was there the owner for penske truck, Ames Performace Parts (http://www.amesperf.com/html/about_us.html) were all there and were all very welcoming my start up here in brattleboro. They said that they have had the headache of traveling many many hours to get stuff coated, blasted, etc... I'm telling you guys - no one around here does it - and they were all so very excited to know about my start-up.

GUYS I really need to make this work- because i love / really enjoy the work and would really love to make that move in becoming a full blow coating shop that can support/handle car frames, bike frames, etc... I'm tryin' I'm tryin'

BUT you guys know where my heart is... Car audio, which they were all so very fascinated/intrigued with hearing about
Misfire

Post by Misfire »

Get in there if you can! Some of those car guys pay fat cash to get there rides done correctly. That is great news! Hopefully this will get your dream rolling!
MS275, MS2250ta, MS2125TA, Bandit, M44, ZX200, EQ215, EQ230, TX2, PDL1, TBAT Trans+Recvr w/cable
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

every time I see that frank coat, I get the urge to do my subies wheels like that. god damn thats sexy.
I'm afraid of widths.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

I have seriously considered doing the wheels on my trailer franked.

but think im gnna stick w/ the silver vein idea I have instead...but I do have spare rims laying around, may do a set of 14" rims just for ufun and keep up on the wall in shop - but not right now... still gotta get a cuple things for members done before anything else
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

for another idea, check out any local bike shops(bicycle). The cycle people are insane for what they will pay sometimes and they like to have custom frames powdered up from time to time. The frames should fit in yer oven and be an easy buck er two.....
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

well guys this last past week has me almost second guessing this whole powder coating idea/endeavor.... REALLY REALLY Frustrating with stuff not coming out the way i want- second coats not curing properly... yadda yadda, I know that we all have bad days in our shops from time to time... BUT it is like i had to step back and force myself to take a breather and not go to shop for a day or so. JUST so depressing with with trying this, and tweaking that and still not getting the results i want. I like to convince myself that its stupid stuff like the bottom of the barrel powder, or gun just needs to be cleaned w/ acetone- but not sure thats gonna do it... i will try... BUT primarily i am just venting....

WENG's stuff (430) is all done- now just needs to have board dropped in and buttoned up...PICS coming shortly-

ITCHY's stuff is all set ready for coating.... Tried the clamp bars last night with some other odds/ends, and they didn't turn out all that good.
Bottom line is - it was the last of the clear coat i had, and was scraping the bottom of the bag to get enough clear powder in the hopper to do what i had...SO i am thinking/hoping that it is just a matter of dirty/old/etc powder that is giving me the undesirable results- For what its worth, i have 2 new pounds of clear coming in... When i first started using the clear for first time out of the bag the results were breath taking. I wonder if the powder has some kind of shelf life- guess i need/should look into that...BUT just thinking out loud, venting a little - i am sure things will work out better once the new powder arrives...

Think i will hold off on shooting itchy's sinks until the new clear shows up.

BUT i do have something in store for you guys- once i get it straightened out and get to the next step or so- i will post pic's - but i think you guys will really like.