Need to buy a netbook

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Need to buy a netbook

Post by Eric D »

I need to get my wife a netbook for school.

What do you guys recommend?

Features I would really like to see on it are SDHC slot, some form of video out (for a projector at school), nice bright high resolution screen (so she can actually do some work on it).
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

.. samsung NC10... my father has one, he's happy :)
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

We have an Asus EeePC 1000 here at work which I loaded Fedora 10 onto and while it's mostly good and covers the points you wanted I find one thing about it that I HATE... the trackpad. It's just brutal. ANY moisture on your finger and it's 100% useless. It's even 50% useless with completely dry hands. I just don't get why they would put such a crap trackpad on such a device.

I've heard that Samsung Brett mentioned is really good though...
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

How about the Eee PC 1101HA, ever see one?

I plan to get a mouse for this, so the trackpad would not be an issue.
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

I had the dell mini-9 for awhile, and i'd recommend staying away from it. poor quality screen and odd keyboard layout were pretty big drawbacks. The newer dell 10" looks to have taken care of at least these two issues, and they're available for pretty cheap in the dell outlet.
I'm afraid of widths.
ChaosWarlord26

Post by ChaosWarlord26 »

I have an HP Mini and couldnt be happier, 1.8 ghz atom Proc. 2gb Ram, 160gb HD SDHC slot, Screen resolution could be a little better. With the extended 9 cell battery I get somewhere around 8hrs of batt. life out of it. would recomend a mouse though, the track pad works great but my thumbs are big so when I type I hit it.
Extreme Goddamn Ouch!!
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Can you post a highres photo of the HP Mini? I like that it has an option for video acceleration.
denim

Post by denim »

At this point, I would wait a little longer until the CPU's can catch up in speed and SSD's get cheaper.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Not a bad idea either. I was thinking of waiting until the ion platform launches this December. It will add cost, but also have better performance. It will all depend on when my wife needs this thing.