anybody know how to kill ivy?

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

anybody know how to kill ivy?

Post by ttocs »

There is a corner of my yard that the grass would never really grow on because of all the shade from the trees. On of my neighbors planted ivy years ago and now of course it has taken over. I want to turn that corner of the yard into a small dirt track for my rc truck and I am left wondering how to clear it out? It is a large enough area that I really do not want to go in and start yanking and pulling as it would take some time. I was wondering if there is some kind of defoliator that I could use and to make it easier and and wondered if anyone had any experience. This area is right next to a drainage ditch so I would rather not use anything super toxic and ignore where it is going but I know ivy is a pain..........
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

They have a machine at Home Depot you can rent, they're called tillers. :lol:

Just messing man
Boomshackalacka
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

i used some liquid brush and stump killer the i got at atwoods, its there off brand and it killed it all and hasnt been back since.

the brand IIRC is hi yield
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

a tiller would just chop it up, and then bury them deeper, don't think it would help that much unless you mean just scrape the surface.

I have considered getting a buch of freinds together and doing a controlled burn :whistle: , and then burning the ivy too :hmm:
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

if your not an enviro freak, use motor oil or road salt, with the salt its actually enviro friendly, drop a shit load of salt at the base ofe the plant and water the shit out of it and the PH in the soil will sky rocket and nothing will grow there for about 2 years, I used this meathod on some blackberry bushes............ no more blackberries :twisted:
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

But blackberries are so tasty!
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

^^^ yes they are but they take over EVERYTHING :evil:
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

I live in a clearing in the middle of the woods in the middle of 6 acres... Ivy, blackberries, you name it and we're fighting it back trying to kill it. Including the bobcats that live in the forest around the property.

I finally found the stuff that will kill everything that I want it to and NOT kill grass. it will (no shit) kill a 20' maple tree if you accidentally spray it instead of the blackberry vines growing up inside it...

Its called Crossbow. I get a gallon for about 60.00 at the local feed store and it fills my 30-gallon sprayer 3 or 4 times. I use it to keep the brush off the driveway - which is just over 1/2 mile (1 mile since I spray both sides). they sell smaller containers, not sure how much they are. But the best part is that when you mix it to kill blackberries or other woody plants, it wont kill your lawn.

my Dad mixes it with a little bit of diesel to make it stick to the leaves - makes it damn near weather-proof.
MX2 Crossover
Sapphire 1.5x - Sold
Roadster66 #11 - Sold
(2) RSdC 102 10" Subwoofers - Sold
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

If I'm turning that much of my yard..... I ain't makin a dirt track...... I'm plantin a garden............ :shifty:

Crossbow is some wicked shit man.......... I give it :thumbs: :thumleft:
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

dude, i was just going to recommend crossbow also.

its pretty much the hydrogen bomb of weedkillers.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

FuzzyHoNutz wrote:If I'm turning that much of my yard..... I ain't makin a dirt track...... I'm plantin a garden............ :shifty:

Crossbow is some wicked shit man.......... I give it :thumbs: :thumleft:
gardens are good, the best ones are not seen. :whistle: but thats enough of that......

This corner would be a horrible place do to lack of light, which is why I like the drit track idea. There is a hill that will make a nice jump and I have plans to hopefully expand across the drainage ditch for a nice gap jump into the neighbors yard if he doesn't mind.
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

also ice melt kills everything LOL

we took a couple bags of that on a drunkin spree and cut the corners of the bag and spun circles in a dudes lawn the took about 1000 plastic forks and stuck them all over doods lawn and 2 days later he had nothin alive on his lawn :mrgreen: :lol:
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Try distilled white vinegar, very cheap and as mentioned with the salt idea it jacks the PH up and nothing will grow there, plus it doesn't need to be watered in. On the bright side it will also keep cats from placing obstacles in your dirt track.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.