WALL MART & the ECONOMY

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

WALL MART & the ECONOMY

Post by mhyde71 »

1 . Americans spend $36,000,000 at Wal-Mart Every hour of every day.
2.. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!
3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.
4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.
5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private Employer, and most speak English.
6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.
7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.
8. During this same period, 31 supermarket chains sought bankruptcy.
9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.
10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 Years ago.
11. This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur At a Wal-Mart store. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 Billion.)
12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.
You may think that I am complaining, but I am really laying the ground work for suggesting that MAYBE we should hire the guys who run Wal-Mart to Fix the economy.
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Shell and Exxon are both bigger (in terms of profit, not # of employees) than WalMart.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I have only bough food at walmart a couple of time and was disappointed by it every time. I think their biz plan of beating their suppliers to hell for lower prices is just all wrong for grocery's and fresh food as when they need to cut costs they cut quality.

I hate going to walmart as I just feel dumber shopping there. I am not sure if it is the people that are in the store around me or what but I am sure I drop a couple IQ points when the dude greets me......

Just in case someone has not seen this yet, it has had me in tears.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Re: WALL MART & the ECONOMY

Post by stipud »

mhyde71 wrote:You may think that I am complaining, but I am really laying the ground work for suggesting that MAYBE we should hire the guys who run Wal-Mart to Fix the economy.
If you ask me, it's the Wal-Mart mindset that has gutted your economy, not the other way around. If Wal-Mart was in charge, they would have sold your economy to China in order to reduce costs. :roll:
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

yeah i have to say i dont care for shopping at walmart myself either
but unfortunately in the town we live in- as small as it is- we are forced to in same cases- luckily it is not a super wal-mart as if it were i could see us going there for food too...

I SHOULD ADD that the original/initial post were not/are not the opinions/views of the poster-

(Just another one of those emails that came in from my buddy at UPS

Just an FYI)
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I hate Wal-Mart for some of the reasons stated above. I feel dumber when I leave there, and I cannot stand the customers or employees there. It is as if every vehicle in the parking lot is a rusty beater. And everyone shopping is around 20 years old with 6 kids, some of whom are 6 years old. The average number of teeth for an employee or customer is between 5 and 7.

When it comes to food, I have been impressed with Aldi of all places. The products are the same as anywhere else, but half the cost, and you get two extremes of people. Poor white trash, and hot sophisticated modern women. If I were not married, I would shop there for a wife as well as my food.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

never get yer meat where you get your bread. Wait............

I agree that walmart has added alot of problems to our economy as well. I too live in a small town now where it is the only source for a number of items but I still try to avoid it and support my home-town stores when I can.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

yeah in fact shopping local i am a major supporter of

when i was doing the Gift Books- 2004-2008, that was our web addy in fact "shoplocal.net"
and we only put in locally owned business for the promotion(s)

and we raised over 35K for various local non-profits in our area
thats more of what i like to see.
scottn29

Post by scottn29 »

I only go into Walmarts in the country, the ones here in the city are to ghetto for me. I like the country hoosiers better than the inner city blacks.
El-Akeem

Post by El-Akeem »

Interesting that you mention Aldi, since it is a German company, and Wal-Mart totally failed in the German market, which is said to be the most competitive market for food goods. I have been in Wal-Marts in the USA a couple of times and everytime I was disappointed, since I felt that the prices were not that low and the stores appeared all a little bit dirty...
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Every time Lynn and I drive down to Seattle, we stop by this Wal Mart megastore on the way for a carton of cigs or whatever... Lynn has fun with it but I think it's terrible. Really, really terrible.

There are no hand held baskets to carry whatever you want to buy, just the biggest fucking carts ever. I guess no one shopping at that place ever just buy a little, they all gotta buy a lot. Everything seems to be sold in enormous quantity packages. Want burgers? HOW ABOUT 500 BURGERS FOR ONLY $.002 per burger!!! (may contain hooves and snouts)

The customers are some of the largest and most poorly dressed people I've ever seen and it's not just here and there. Their children, while not their own faults, are also highly unappealing. I guess people drive there a couple times a week to stock up massively and then... eat massively.

Overall, it makes me feel really bad about (North) America.

But then we proceed to Seattle and it's just like an Vancouver but with more black people. Americouver, perhaps. ;)
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
joyride

Post by joyride »

Go Meijer!

I comp-shop walmart and it is usually just as expected (Eris explanation nailed it). Not to mention they hate Black people (especially in New Jersey) :shock: . All I know is that they actually arent priced that low anymore. I know that several places are beginning to match Walmart prices now on many common items.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Man is that all people care about these days? How cheap shit is? Enjoy your Chinese vegetables I guess :lol:

I am glad Vancouver has a ton of local grown or organic food stores I can go to. The thought of buying food from a Wal-Mart makes me shudder. Besides rent, food is the next most expensive thing I pay for every month. I will happily spend over $400 per visit on good quality groceries. You are what you eat, after all.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I have 3 Wal-Marts I can go to, all are about the same distance. One is located in a more exclusive area to live. The prices are higher! Most things are the same price, but I have found several items to cost more. The next Wal-Mart is only 10 minutes from the "high end" one and the prices are lower on these items.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
oldschoolfan

Re: WALL MART & the ECONOMY

Post by oldschoolfan »

stipud wrote:
mhyde71 wrote:You may think that I am complaining, but I am really laying the ground work for suggesting that MAYBE we should hire the guys who run Wal-Mart to Fix the economy.
If you ask me, it's the Wal-Mart mindset that has gutted your economy, not the other way around. If Wal-Mart was in charge, they would have sold your economy to China in order to reduce costs. :roll:
Stipud, I could not agree with you more. Why give employees benefits when you can hire more people to work part time with no insurance. Walmart is a giant purveyor of overseas product. People seem to be so short sighted these days. This one is two dollars less than that one. Well, for two dollars less you get a piece of disposable junk. For two dollars more you could have employed your out of work neighbor that used to make that product and have a quality item that will last.

Sorry, I am very passionate about this whole thing. Our country is in shambles because of this thinking and is getting worse every day. We need to wake the F up! That is what is so frustrating, we are doing it to ourselves. Yes buying an American car can be important but it goes well beyond that. Buy everything American... Disclaimer time, or buy it from a country that actually buys product from your country and is NOT RUN BY COMMUNISTS! Since when did Communism become so cool?

End rant. I could go on and on.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

Creepy.
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

1 thing I give credit to Walmart for, they closed up shop on a location that tried to unionize. No strong arming them, I thought it was priceless and well played I wish others would follow suit.

Now if someone were to carefully plan some form of mass destruction at Walmarts across the nation say black Friday just minutes after opening, I feel it would cure a lot of what is wrong with this nation.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

VW337 wrote:1 thing I give credit to Walmart for, they closed up shop on a location that tried to unionize. No strong arming them, I thought it was priceless and well played I wish others would follow suit.

Now if someone were to carefully plan some form of mass destruction at Walmarts across the nation say black Friday just minutes after opening, I feel it would cure a lot of what is wrong with this nation.
South Park has already touched on the mass destruction of the big box stores. Ill see if I can find a link to the episode :D
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!