Pasta machine, need advice

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Pasta machine, need advice

Post by Eric D »

I bought a cheap pasta machine last summer, and after only the second time using it the gears are all trashed and it failed. (cheap junk) I need some advice on a good one to buy, which will last. Anyone have one and can share their experiences with it?

I only need it for rolling dough down to about 1/16in in size. I don't care if it makes noodles or not.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

you used the machine 2x in 9 months and want to replace/upgrade it?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
joyride

Post by joyride »

Dont know if you have a kitchenaide mixer or not, but if you are ever down near Benton Harbor there is a whirlpool warehouse where you can get everything half off. Those $300+ mixers can be had for about 150 with the pasta attachment a little more. And those things work like a dream.

If you dont mind putting some muscle into it, Joseph Joseph makes a rolling pin that has different sized guides so you can roll dough to an exact height.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Just a thought... you can get pasta maker attachments for the KitchenAid mixers. Might be worthwhile checking that out if you're going to get a KitchenAid anyways.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

ttocs wrote:you used the machine 2x in 9 months and want to replace/upgrade it?
This one totally failed. The gears are made of Chinese pot metal. I know you know what I am talking about. They were designed for around 10 minutes of use prior to complete failure.
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Funny you guys mention the Kitchen Aid mixers. As soon as I posted this thread and headed out the door to go up north yesterday I thought of the mixer. I will make a post about that.

Kitchen Aid has a kick ass pasta roller attachment, and I am sure it will last longer than this cheap rip off pile of chrome crap I bought.