Possible new job, need some insight guys.

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
smgreen20

Possible new job, need some insight guys.

Post by smgreen20 »

I was contacted from a company that was looking for welders and they said that they were interested in me. They got my resume from the Ivy Tech job site where I had posted it. The companies name is Hendrickson. >> http://www.hendrickson-intl.com/

They build the suspensions for the Wabash National Trailers (or as some of you know is who I used to work for and was fired from for forgetting my ID badge...) well, I called and they set me up with an interview TONIGHT at....... 11:00 pm. Yea....PM!!! It will be for 3rd shift so they want me to interview with the 3rd shift supervisor, makes sense...OK. Part of my problem, the biggest really, is that it's 30 miles away. With gas prices the way they are and both our vehicles have over 100k miles on them, not so sure I want to rack up that kind of mileage/use on them. I know some of you here drive that, and/or more, every day. So I ask, is it worth it?

I would be making $5.00 more per/hr, FT, insurance- though I'm on my wifes and here's is damn good, and I told the HR rep what I want in a company and where I'm looking to go as far as a CAREER, and not a JOB. I'm going to school for advanced manufacturing geared towards ME/EE and I'll have a certificate in maintenance at the end of this semester. I also would like to be on the "team" that would go to Wabash when a new design is needed or problems arise. I welded the subframes when I was at Wabash back in '99-00, and I know the place and the people, I think I would be the right person for such a position.

I don't have any problems working a 3rd shift, I did 2 times while at Wabash. When I was hired on and again when I started welding. So is there any insight on the long drive? Anything else you guys might think of, good or bad, that I might've overlooked. I hate job hopping and told myself that something there tonight NEEDS to stand out to make me say yes, this is the place for me.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Re: Possible new job, need some insight guys.

Post by stipud »

Sounds like the raise more than offsets the amount of gas. Hell with the amount of extra money you'd make you could afford an econobox beater car to drive to work if you want.

Isn't having long drives to work the main reason we install car stereos? More time to enjoy it! ;)
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

Due to bankruptcy, I can't get a loan w/o approval from the Judge that is overseeing our case. We still have just over 1 yr left before it's done, so I'd have to pay cash so that means CHEAP! I have a bit of an issue putting in a stereo in a vehicle that it worth 2x the car.

I did however think of that. More time for the stereo enjoyment.

The pay increase within 2yrs goes up to what I was making at Wabash. The 3rd shift hrs also means no baby sitter as I'd be home in time to get them off to school. All together right now, it would work out to about an extra $250 a month after taxes and the increase in gas usage. I'm just scared that I'll take it and the gas prices would go through the roof and the semi industry would collapse.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

The semi industry will never collapse..... Shit has to be moved one way or another. It sounds like a good opportunity and it's would be worth the effort..... Just get yerself a mid to late 90's Honda/Acura that gets 28-32mpg for about $2000.......
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Does 3rd shift affect the amount of time you'll be able to spend with your family? I know money is awesome, but if it's $250/month at the expense of spending any time with the family, I dunno if I'd take that...
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

No, it would not effect the amount of time.... well... Yea it would, but in a good manner. When I get home it would be time for school so I'd be able to take them to school, which I enjoyed doing when I was unemployed. I'd just switch when I sleep with when I'd work. I've done 3rd shift for 2 yrs so I'm no stranger to it.

Install:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Another suggestion I will make, is adding the amount of time you will spend every day in traffic to your work hours, so you can calculate exactly how much you are really making for your time. Of course that depends on how much you value your time as well. It sounds like the family thing might work out for the better, which could also be worth a few bonus points as well.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

I timed the drive, took 36 mins from my driveway to the parking spot in which I parked in. 32 miles 1 way, so 64 round trip. the place seems very promising. For once, some place actually wants me!!! They also have 2 maintenance positions open that I was told to inquire about as my secondary, if you will for school, is maintenance. They're also getting a cost of living increase in about 2 weeks or so and he believes that it's going to be about $.60/hr. That means I'd be making $6.00 more per hour then I am now. Plus the rate of promotion is high and I'm not just going to be a pee-on any more. Looks good. Also in 2 years I'll be making more then I was at Wabash National of almost 13 years. Currently I make $10.50/hr, with the cost of living increase and the shift premium I'd be making $16.15/hr to start. Hold out for that supervisor position and I could be making $70k yr!!!

Install:
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

smgreen20 wrote:Due to bankruptcy, I can't get a loan w/o approval from the Judge that is overseeing our case. We still have just over 1 yr left before it's done, so I'd have to pay cash so that means CHEAP! I have a bit of an issue putting in a stereo in a vehicle that it worth 2x the car.
I used to commute 35 miles each way to work a couple years ago, basically a 45 min. drive to and from work. I was spending $120 a week in gas to fill up my truck (34 gallon tank when gas was about $4 a gallon in 2008). My solution? I bought a 97' Dodge Neon (I know) for $1000 that got twice the mileage of my truck. Sure, it is nothing spectacular, but over the course of a couple months it more than paid for itself in gas mileage and lower insurance. I installed a stereo that's well worth more than my car, and because my car is basically a piece of shit, no one even thinks twice about breaking into it. The job sounds worth it to me, and a 30 mile commute really isn't that bad, I say go for it!
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
wooferdog

Post by wooferdog »

Congrats on the job,just watch for deer and the ice in the winter!! I don't miss the cold yet.What town is the new job? North or South?I think I remember that Hendrickson had a place in Lebanon but it was more of a warehouse i think.Good luck!
Phoenix Gold,Don't Leave Home Without It !!!
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

It's on the northern side of Lebanon at exit 140 off of I65. I'll be taking SR52 there so its wide open road.

Install:
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

So did they offer ya a job.........?
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

I worked a job for 3 years that was a 40 mile drive one way. Took me an hour to get there, and an hour to get home every day. It SUCKED. Course, I was getting paid crap, I imagine if I'd have gotten paid more it would have been worth it.

Another benefit of this job is to continue living on your current budget and whatever extra you are getting paid just pay it into your BK and finish that bitch off in less than the 1 year you currently have. Many people don't think about it but being in a BK creates a LOT of stress for those involved. Being done with it as soon as possible will not only be good for you financial well being, it will give you a big boost in you mood and self esteem.
Boomshackalacka
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

I go tomorrow to take the weld test, if I pass that then I have to take the physical. Then I'll know for sure.

Install:
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

smgreen20 wrote:I go tomorrow to take the weld test, if I pass that then I have to take the physical. Then I'll know for sure.
Drop a klean bead................... 8)
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

They have some nice equipment. I did 1 pass the night of my interview, real nice. I'm not worried.

Install:
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

I work and have worked 45 km each way in travel for the last 8.5years. i have had a company car in the last 2 year but
it not always about money. i will still do it today with my own car.
I left a job 9 years ago that paid about 10 hour more but hated going to work people sucked it was like high school all over.
Only problem Im to old and have no more get out of jail free cards so I left
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

The weld test was not what I thought it to be. It was 1 weld, a vertically horizontal v-groove. He said my practice piece looked good enough, but I didn't feel ready enough so I did the 2nd piece as my test subject. He has to cut 2 2" strips out and bend test them. They crack, I fail. They don't, I pass. Won't know till Monday.

Install:
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

After no response today, I called them up and left a message. They called me back and she told me that my weld passed. YEA!!!!! Now I just have to wait 1-2 weeks for my background check. Ahhhggg! After that, take my physical and I'm golden. A new job and I'm movin up.

Install:
HoseHead
Tim Horton Himself

Post by HoseHead »

When I work, I consult by contract, my commute is 60 miles return. I expense my transportation, among other things, at tax time through my own company. I'm not familiar with the US, but can you open a home based business, have your pay go to that company and then issue shareholder dividends when you need coin? This way, anything associated with the business is a write off as far as the tax man is concerned - 25% of home insurance, mortgage interest, internet, telephone, land taxes, computers, clothes, vehicle maintenance etc. In addition, if your spouse is not working, you can register her as a shareholder and issue dividends to her as well. The family benefits from the income, but income is claimed by two people vice one, lowering your tax bracket, though it may be better to leave her as no income.

We live rural for the peacefulness of the country life. Kids are gone but we have several dogs as surrogates. My wife's commute is easily 80 miles return, but she drags six figures so fuel costs are not really an issue. She drives a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4X4 with a 3.9 V-6. It's a pig on fuel, but she likes it for safety, especially in winter on the back roads. She's finally agreed to at least look at a newer Hemi RAM, which actually gets superior mileage with it's MDS system (4 cylinders shut down during cruise modes). My 300C Hemi returns 28-30 MPG when driven like a white man. OH yeah, it also consumes rice and schnitzel with ease, but mileage does suffer at these times. Remember, if your spending much time in your ride, why not make it as comfortable as possible?

I worked shift for a few years back in the day. Young family at that time too. I found midnight shift OK as I slept while my family was at work/school and they slept while I worked. Afternoon shift was when I missed family time.

Is urinalysis part of the physical?

HH
The only stupid question is the one not asked .......
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

glad to hear ya passed, now hurry up and wait for the background check.....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

ttocs wrote: now hurry up and wait .....
^^ was the Wabash moto.

Thanks for the support.

Install:
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

Passed their weld test a week and a half ago, took my physical today and passed that. So.......

They offered me the job. Woohoo! That's a 54% pay increase!!!

Problem is it's either a 3rd shift, which I'm totally fine with or a weekend shift (Fri, Sat, Sun- 12 hr days and 11% more per/hr) which I'm not so fond of. Those that do, please pray for me to get a 3rd shift.

Thanks guys.

Install:
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

FUK YEAH MAN!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thats awesome. I know the shift change will be alittle rough atfirst but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the long run. And down the road you might be able to change shifts in yer favor.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Congrats on the new job! Here's to getting that 3rd shift spot and not weekends! :pray:
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?