can I get your opinions?

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

can I get your opinions?

Post by ttocs »

So I have been bored at the hospital all week and found some small stuff on my laptop to keep me busy. I decided to make the decal that I want to put on my chrome valve covers in hope that I can cut them an put them on this weekend if the heads/cam get installed(fingers crossed). here is what I have come up with but not completely sold on it yet. I was prettywell planning on using flat black but I am also tempted to use a vinyl that give the chrome clear flat look as though it had been blasted and give it a frosted look. It would obviosly not be as dramatic as flat black on chrome but thats not always a bad thing

the second project I kept entertained with was that my stock gas/break/clutch pedals have been starting to look pretty bad. I have actually had my eyes open for a while to find something I liked but I am not sure if I am too picky or what but still never really found anything I had to have. Because of this I started to think it would not be too hard to make my own with plexi, aluminum, my decal cutter and some kind of non-skid shtuff and paint. Here is the one I like the best so far, the only real differences are the black stripes which would be the non-skid material. I put the screws on the top ones as well just to see what they would look like but they would be the same on both designes. The logos and small circles would be cut out of chrome reflective vinyl and then painted probably black around them. The top would be brushed aluminum.

So anthing you would do differently to make them better?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
todd217

Re: can I get your opinions?

Post by todd217 »

i like the powered by ford twisted by trickflow ones better. but to be honest i think stickers on the valve covers may not look very good. if you could find a set of aluminum ones then have it engraved would be mush better.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I would love a new set of covers but I like the idea that I can do what ever I want with these. I think the flat black or frosted clear will provied enough of a contrast that it will not look hideous or cheap. Honestly if I went with the frosted you would have to put your and on it to feel the decal to figure out that it was not blasted onto it. This also allows me to change it later when I do the turbo I have in the longterm plans not to mention will save minimum of a $100 over any good lookin valve covers.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Is it just me or does the last 4 letters in twisted look smaller.......? :hmm:
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

its because in that font the tops of th letters are slightly smaller then the bottom, so when I flipped them around it gave it that look.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I think it should be on two lines. Too confusing with it split up like that.

In fact, I think it's a bit busy. Clearly your ford engine is powered by ford. Why not just slap on trickflow logos and be done with it? Or just twisted by trickflow?
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

stipud wrote: In fact, I think it's a bit busy. Clearly your ford engine is powered by ford. Why not just slap on trickflow logos and be done with it? Or just twisted by trickflow?
I'd have to agree...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

stipud wrote:I think it should be on two lines. Too confusing with it split up like that.

In fact, I think it's a bit busy. Clearly your ford engine is powered by ford. Why not just slap on trickflow logos and be done with it? Or just twisted by trickflow?
ye read my mine! Just got done with these and read that. Tryin to make more custom then just a sinlge word. I like the play on words that kinda makes ya woner if I did it on purpose, with the end conclusion being yes. I like to take it to shows and watch people come up and look at it and thinkg about it as makes them stick around a little longer. The other reason I am doing them is because I am REALLY bored at the hospital and this made the day go by soo much faster.. You have never seen a cheby motor in a mustang? I have even seen a viper motor in a stang, they are not all powered by ford.

this one I would use both the flat clear and the flat black. if you look closely in the black you will see the original letters in red. Those would be the flat clear, and the blat area remaining outside of the red letters would black so that it would look like clear letters with a shadow to give it a raised 3d look.

and then I thought that I would love to put it all on one line, but th would never fit right? AFterIfinished I realized I should have them at 45 the other direction so that from the front of the car it would be readable.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

ttocs wrote:You have never seen a cheby motor in a mustang? I have even seen a viper motor in a stang, they are not all powered by ford.
Well yeah of course, but I'd say THEN you'd warrant putting the brand logo on the valve cover ;)

I'm personally pretty minimalist when it comes to cars. Your engine bay is pretty flashy as is, so you shouldn't go way over the top IMO. I'd just put a small trickflow decal at 45* in one of the corners and be done with it. Maybe powered by Ford on one side, twisted by Trickflow on the other, rather than having both be identical.

Your call of course... aesthetics are quite personal.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

any better?

stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Holy shit is that ever better. The last one is my fave.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

yea I thought so too and its funn how just some small tweeks can mean everything. Thanks for your advice as it was you pointing out it was too busy(and my boredome in the hospital) that led me to experiment a little more.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I will use that last one above on the drivers side, and this one on the passenger side. Someone on my mustang forum suggested it and I like it for a couple of reasons. The passenger side has the breather on it so I needed to move the design to the side to account for it. I am also trying to get a raised 3d effect. The middle letters will be made from a frosted clear vinyl and the outside is a 1/16th" black boarder to try and get this effect. I am doing the same on the other side, should look cool I think
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Good designs you have come up with....but
I would not put stickers on your valve covers...just kinda cheesy and over done.
Let the engine speak for itself, if it's fast thats all ya need, would certainly look overdone. Most gear heads can tell
if your heads are done or not, you don't need to tell them. Of course as Tom said it's your car and our cars are all a very personal thing
so do it if you like it, I would just have the word trickflow and thats it if it had to be. just my opinion as asked for.
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
tonym

Post by tonym »

the good part....nice designs...

the bad part....I dont think its going to stick to the cover very long.....tooooooo much heat....the heating up and cooling down will kill them fast.. :doh:

I would use the car wrap stuff...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

its a heat resisistan vinyl they have been making stickers/decals on valve covers for a while.

I could buy one that just says trickflow, Why would I make it = boring.