"That" Guy In Your Town

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
Kirghiz

"That" Guy In Your Town

Post by Kirghiz »

Does everyone have someone in your town like this, or is it just me?

There is this guy in my town, he's about 85 or so, and he runs a restaurant/drinking establishment. Kudos to him for staying active at his age, and I hope I am able if I reach that age. Anyway, his restaurant sits on this corner of the main road in town, about a mile from where I work, and a mile and a half from my house, so I pass by there about 400 times a day. I guess whenever it gets slow he goes outside and sweeps the sidewalk in front of his place. I think he just grabs his broom and goes outside to be nosey, because you'd think his patch of ground would be the most manicured piece of sidewalk in town as much as he's out there. Anyway, every time I pass his place he's out there with his broom, and of course my system is running wide open most of the time, and he gives the most dirty looks and points at me every time I go by. Today I went by there and I could read his lips when he said "devil music". I happened to be following a guy I work with to drop a truck off at the auction house, and then I had to take him home, which took me back the way I had come, passing his restaurant again.

I said to the guy I work with, "I don't think old man Cotton is too impressed with my system. Watch as we go by."

The system wasn't even up because we were talking, and every instance that my truck was in his view, his eyes were locked on my truck with this "you kids get off my lawn!" Type of stare. I had all I could do to keep a straight face.

The guy riding with me says he yells at his patrons when the jukebox in his place gets up too loud.

The funny thing is my system isn't loud outside the vehicle at all. If I could take my back seat out I'd be rattling stuff off his walls with a ported box, but that isn't what I've got.

Do you guys have someone like this in your town?

n.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: "That" Guy In Your Town

Post by ttocs »

Ok so I know what isn't in your stereo. What IS in it? I ask only because I know too many people that think "not too loud" or "not loud at all" about their Harleys............ And if I had someone going by my place 400 times a day "not TOO loud" I might have a look for that person too after a years of this. While it doesn't sound like a residential place, why do you want too piss where you sleep? This is your neighborhood, he is your neighbor, just never really a good idea to continue to piss off the neighbor if it means to turn it down for the 5 secs when you go by his place. He might be an old SOB but if so, why keep poking him? Dude has probably been through some wars we never dreamed off. Bought a nice little restaurant to enjoy his golden years in ya know?

I never jam my stereo with in a couple of miles of my house to keep from pissing off neighbors as well as because I don't want to let thieves know where I live and I have a stereo. Never had a stereo stolen yet.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Honestly, outside the vehicle it isn't any louder than anyone else's, and you can't really hear it at all more than 12 Feet away, and that with the windows down. I've heard louder factory radios outside the vehicle in all honesty. It's not something that turns heads. It's loud as hell inside obviously, but not outside. I've parked it with the windows down and walked away from it to see what it sounded like outside. It's seriously not loud outside by anyone's reckoning. My wife very particular about pissing people off, and I had her stand outside with it up, and she approved, so it really isn't loud. She hates the stereo, and anything that's loud for that matter, and even she says it isn't loud outside.

For whatever it's worth, I barely play it audibly coming through my neighborhood, and then I have a good half mile of four lane before I get into town, and where I work is on the edge of town. I'm not talking about jamming in my neighborhood.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

After having a guy at a car audio shop come outside yelling that I was knocking stuff off his walls, perhaps it's louder outside than I think it is........I still don't believe that happened, I wasn't in there, but could have I suppose.

I am that biker that says it isn't loud it seems. :cry:
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I think we all reach that point sometime on here. You are now officially too old and might be part of the VH1 crowd now.... But, in all seriousness how much nicer would it be rather then to have him glare at you and curse at your devil music to wave at you? Next time you go by, slow down 10 mph, turn the music down and wave at him when you see him. If for no other reason then to see the confusion in his face the first few times you do it, then to see an old man possibly smile and wave back. You will not get where your going any later and might just be suprised by his reaction. Pick your battles, kill em with kindness and it makes it easier to get away with things later...
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Your post the other day actually got me thinking about it, and I have been turning it down when I go passed his place since then.

I have been going around and around thinking "with this much power, shouldn't this thing be louder than it is", and I have even been contemplating the ramifications of removing the back seat and running four Elite.12's ported, and adding a second Elite.1. I'm a f'ng nut apparently. The trip I made to the Sundown dealer yesterday really woke me up to the fact that what I have is stupid loud already, and sounds pretty great doing it......and yes, it's louder than I think it is outside and should turn it down.

I think "not thinking a 4,000 watt rms stereo system is loud" is the exact opposite of being old though. LOL
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

might be a cool dude if/when you get too know him. I have some asshole neighbors that confuse the hell out of me but I do what I can to keep from pissing them off. 3 yrs ago a neighbor asked me if I could keep my dog from peeing in his yard when I walked her. I thought it was funny as my dog is 15 lbs and pee's 3 drops on the 40 yards we pass in a day but ok what ever buddy. I kept that promise and she has not peed in his yard since as I would make her heel and stay next too me as I went by and it ended up being a good exercise for the dog/training. I thought I was making him happy meeting his demand but he still kept giving me dirty looks as I went by. About a year ago he stopped me again and asked me if I thought it was rude that my dog peed in his neighbors yard? I said I didn't see it as a big deal since he has a dog himself and the guy just shook his head at me, now he is pissed my dog pees in his neighbors yard - whatever.... About a month ago he was in his yard as we were going by and I expected my usual dirty look from him but as soon as my dogs paw touched his grass he lost it,"REALLY NOW?! REALLY?!?!?!" was all he said again with his usual shitty look. Now he is pissed just when she is on his property and when she pees in his neighbors yard.... Ok fine. Now I cross the street when I go by his house. Last week as I went by I was on the phone with my brother when I heard his door open, and then slam shut 2 secs later. Maybe 5 secs later I could not help but feel like I was being watched and looked over too see his head poking through the blinds on his front window. when he saw me look over he let the blinds go, then I saw the blinds on his window 3 down move over and his head poke out again. I could not help but to laugh and wave as I thought to myself I have been doing everything this guy has asked me too, or just got shitty about assuming I knew(the new rule of her being on the grass) and yet he is still a dick too me. Some people you can't make happy no matter what, but you never know till you try. If me just walking my dog pisses this guy off like it does I don't want too be part of his problems. IF there was a different way to walk I would do it but he is the guy in the 3rd house down at the beginning of my road. Next time he gives me shit I am going to inform him that I have tried to make him happy and regardless that my current dog has not peed there in 4 yrs now, my family has lived in this house and walked 5 different dogs over the last 35 yrs down this same route so no matter what he does, my dogs pee is there.....

I have also been saving my pot seeds for some time now. He has 2 large concrete planters on either side of the driveway and I can't help but to think its rude that there is nothing growing in them.....
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

LOL Your story made me think of this link.

http://thechive.com/2012/05/17/dispute- ... 12-photos/
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

That is funny. In my case idunno what too do as I have tried to meet his demands and he is still a raging cock. I can't say that it doesn't make me laugh a little that all I need too do too piss him off is go by his house. Its a heavy residential area with a lot of kids so I don't get over 20 ever, yet there he is glaring at me every time he is out. I tried to make him happy and in the 30+ yrs of walking dogs on this same rout I have made a lot of friends with neighbors that I stop and talk too, and one asshole that just shoots dirty looks....
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

That is hilarious!

And ttocs;

You should absolutely do some "midnight gardening". I can just imagine the disgust and confusion on his face when he finds it. Or better yet, when it sprouts, call the 5.0. :lol: And tape it with the gopro.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

LowandLoud wrote:Or better yet, when it sprouts, call the 5.0.
......and be out in the street with your dog pissing on the edge of his yard as the cops perp walk him out of the home. :lol:
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

LowandLoud wrote:
That is hilarious!

And ttocs;

You should absolutely do some "midnight gardening". I can just imagine the disgust and confusion on his face when he finds it. Or better yet, when it sprouts, call the 5.0. :lol: And tape it with the gopro.

LL
Well the real humor will be in the fact that they will have to take the dirt out too keep them all from sprouting as I currently have a fairly thick prescription bottle 2/3 full with seeds. I am not going to leave one or two but THE WHOLE THING....