Day one with no car = clean garage and boredom!

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Day one with no car = clean garage and boredom!

Post by ttocs »

Sent the car off to the shop to get the core support put in, cleaned the garage and realized I better figure out something to do... Remembered my welder in the corner and decided to power it up and figure out something to do with the scrap I have left over. After sanding on the trunk lid on top of my new tool box for the last week I discovered it needed a few small improvement to suit my needs. I started off by making this small tray on the top/side to hold small stuff. It can hold my square, scissors, small handled tools, I welded in some nail heads to hang things from as well as to hold the ratchet bits in place.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
ttocs

Re: Day one with no car = clean garage and boredom!

Post by ttocs »

After that I decided to do something similar on the other side where the handle is for the box to push it. I slowed down the wire speed and this is the first real beed I have layed down.
After a coat of paint the handle is never going to go anywhere, and I have a handy place to store tools while working.
Probably going to add a mount to hold a small trash can tomorrow and then I might just connect my bottle of argon and try the aluminum.
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

I have been welding for about 15 years. The best way I found to learn is to practice the more you weld the better you will be ( I am self taught ) I got my first welder about 13 years ago and still have it and use it. If you get bored just pick up some scrap from around your shop turn the radio up and just start welding shit together. O and make sure the metal is clean this is a major thing.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

The whole reason behind these projects was just to get use to it. Prior to the last pic/project I was still kind of afraid of it all. I realized while in between lines that I was seeing flash spots when I blinked so I adjusted the hood 2 steps darker and then suddenly I could see what was going on. Once I could see the reaction taking place and the metal melting I realized I had slowed down my movements a lot and basically just relaxed a lot more. I will have plenty to practice on when I weld in the engine bay panels to smooth it all out.
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

Ha yea seeing spots is not a good thing.Just wondering are you using shielded wire or are you using unimix gas (co2 & argon mix).I would say to get more practice with the same size sheet metal as your panels to get you and the welder set up. Good Luck and and weld as much as you can and post pics.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Yea I am learning as I go but figured the flash spots were not supposed to be there. its a mix of gas. So far everything I have done has been just to get use to it. I saved all the old/damaged pieces just so I could have something to practice on.