air tools?

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

air tools?

Post by ttocs »

I have been wanting to get a large compressor(60 gal) for some time and was excited to find one that I practically stole off of ebay 2 months ago. Its a 60 gallon craftsman with a 6 hp oil-less motor so it should be able to supply all the air I need. Tried to compare pricing on a new one but craftsman doesn't make anything larger then a 4hp now and its $1100 = good deal for me. I was almost afraid it would not work for the price but after finally getting a 220v outlet wired into the garage I am ready to start buying some pneumatic tools for it. I will be needing a DA sander, saw and ratchet for the rebuild of the momstang and need some advice on what tools are good and what are bad. I have heard the Chicago pneumatic at harbor freight actually isn't all that bad if they are kept oiled but I trust harbor freights reliability of course like anyone does. I don't mind paying more the HF prices as to get something that will last but I am also not needing snap-on quality nor prices either. Anyone have any tools that they have used and liked for long enough to recommend them?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Drock

Re: air tools?

Post by Drock »

I have and use a lot of air tools. I no longer use a tank compressor. I use a screw compressor. I can hold my finger on a sprayer and not once loose any pressure all day long. Down side is they are expensive. As for tools I use Ingersol Rand. Very reliable.
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Post by itchnertamatoa »

Drock wrote:I have and use a lot of air tools. I no longer use a tank compressor. I use a screw compressor. I can hold my finger on a sprayer and not once loose any pressure all day long. Down side is they are expensive. As for tools I use Ingersol Rand. Very reliable.
+1 on Ingersoll-rand
[url=http://www.phoenixphorum.com][img]http://phoenixphorum.com/templates/Titanium/images/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have heard good and bad things about them actually. I heard that they did make some great stuff but since going to china for production that quality has slipped. Got that info from a salesman buddy at sears that says he get more IR stuff then craftsman so idunno.
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Post by itchnertamatoa »

might be true .. I've had my ingersoll for a while now .. other brand I have is Facom (doubt you have that in the US) and snap on
[url=http://www.phoenixphorum.com][img]http://phoenixphorum.com/templates/Titanium/images/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
Drock

Post by Drock »

I used to love the snap on tools. But they are a little too good, and the price is not worth the stress. It seems whenever I buy nice tools they tend to grow legs a disappear.
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

I have a mixture of brands, but mostly Chicago Pneumatic (NOT Central Pneumatic, which is what Harbor Freight sells).

Have Devilbiss spray guns, Ingersoll Rand 3/8" air ratchet (my dad bought it), and this Matco sander is awesome
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

got my eastwood catalog today and they seem to have some good deals if it isn't crap equipment anyone ever used their tools? I got my welding cart from them and was happy with the quality and price, never heard too much bad about them really.... Am I missing something?
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Post by itchnertamatoa »

Drock wrote:I used to love the snap on tools. But they are a little too good, and the price is not worth the stress. It seems whenever I buy nice tools they tend to grow legs a disappear.
haha :lol: yeah, they tend to run whenever you really need them ...
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I have some HDC brand air tools that have worked well and held up to a lot of abuse. Pritty sure they are made in China. I boughty them out of a semi trailer sell in the 90s for an incredable deal. I also have a like new Chicago Pneumatic impact that is junk.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

appreciate all the info fellas! Got home yesterday afternoon happy to see the new compressor was up and running. I was afraid with the large 6hp oil-less motor that it was going to be loud and proud but its not nearly as loud as I thought it would be. Going to go pay/pick up the car shortly and now need to organize when my friends can help me pull the motor.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Was moving the compressor back into the corner where it will stay when I noticed the manf date stamped on the tag mounted to the tank said it was made in 93. How long after the manf date am I supposed to have it pressure tested to recertify it?
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

I have experience with both Snap-on and Cornwell. They are both pricey, but you get what you pay for. Just keep them on a chain so nobody "borrows" them.
Boomshackalacka
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

There is a nice little trick for keeping the compresser noise way down. Stick the compresser up against the outside back of the shop and build a little shed or building around it just big enough to cover and protect it. This also conserves room in the shop and eliminates eyesore. Insulateing it will even further eliminate noise.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Yea that would be nice or even if there was a closet to stick it in but the garage is big for a 2-car and there is space. Went out today and got my paint guns, filter/dryer, hoses, hose reel. I think I am going to try eastwoods air tools as I have not heard much bad about them for the price.
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

Harbor Freight's Earthquake line is actually really good. I bought a 1/2" Earthquake impact from Harbor Freight about 10 years ago (could break anything loose)....damn thing is still going, sold it to a friend.

Most of my Chicago Pneumatic tools I found good deals on eBay. The nice part is you can get parts/rebuild kits for ALL of them...try doing that with Eastwood air tools...

Like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chicago-Pneumat ... 1c379aedcf
If I didn't already have one I'd buy it....
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

rebuild kits, that is the first I have heard anyone say about that but a quick search on eastwoods site and they do have them.

After I am not sure how many trips to ace to get all the fittings needed to get it going, I finally had all the pieces(not shown hooked up here).

Was happy to get it all fired up yesterday to finish modifying the mounts for the ac condenser and the radiator. I was able to cut/weld them back together to move them both up into the core support about another 4" just to make some space between the fan and the motor. I loved the canton coolant expansion tank when I first got it but now that I made some space it just seems to damn big. I will paint it black to help it blend in but still wish it was a little smaller.

Yesterday was a weird day as almost as soon as I finished this project, I had to throw up. Not sure why, it just happened and of course then it would not stop. So now again, 3 weeks after the last time I was in the hospital I find myself back just a few doors down from the room I had last time. sucks....