would this hurt?

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

would this hurt?

Post by ttocs »

I need some opinions as I don't want to dick up some old PG gear that I know will be a pain to find a replacement for. my 200 amp PG breaker. I got to the point on the car that I was ready for it and dug it out. Its been on my desk waiting now probably for 2+yrs.... I don't think it was ever used as there are no marks around the mounting holes and it doesn't show any damage, but after years the color on the sides had faded to what almost looked like an olive green. So I masked off the top that had all the writing and threw a coat of gloss black and then a coat of clear on it. So now the bottom looks brand new, the top not so much... It isn't horrible but with all the detail I am putting into the motor, and now with this being top/center it kinda bugs me. I am thinking that if I can get a coat of clear on it that it would help it match as well as to protect all the writing and from what I can see the wiper doesn't drag the bottom to where it would get in the way. I am thinking about just dragging my 600 grit prep pad across it maybe 2 times, doing a light coat of wax/grease remover paint prep and then two light coats of clear on it. Would you do it or just leave it?

Like I said I have put a LOT of time/$$$ into this and would like to really top it off nicely with this little display. The breaker is going to mount on top of the throttle body so the ground wire(the big black hose looking thing draped over the alt) and power wire(its hard to see it ends just above the throttle body) will be top/center going to the big son of a bitch alt.

So to clear or not to clear? That is the question....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
wooferdog

Re: would this hurt?

Post by wooferdog »

I mounted my breaker on the fender and it would get really hot from the engine and it would trip the breaker. I ended up with it near the battery at the front of the inner fender. I think mounting it on the TB would get a lot of heat on it and make it trip.
Phoenix Gold,Don't Leave Home Without It !!!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

ah see now I thought all this time that nobody gave a shit :) I considered that and hope the ceramic coating that is on the intake will help. I also remembered I have some heat shield material left over from when I did the trans tunnel I can put on the bottom if its an issue
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

I don't think it would be a good idea to mount it there. Is the breaker for the alternator?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

lol love it as this is how karma works for me. I ask a question and its completely ignored for a week and then people pipe up to give opinions about something completely unrelated, and also too late to give a shit honestly.
Fender would be a bad location on almost any car as it puts it directly above the headers which on most cars is the hottest part of the motor that is exposed.
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

So did you clear it or not? :lol:
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

Doesn't look bad there. I thought you were just going to put two sided tape or some zip ties maybe some dry wall screws to hold it on there. :lol: :lol:
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have not cleared it yet but want too and probably will . Man I hate double stick tape so much if you find it in my car, it was the absolute only option and when I use screws they are machine and either tapped or rivnuts if I am lazy. I made a 2 mount for it that is nice and solid. I made a base that is the same size as the breakers base and I then riveted/epoxied to an L-shaped bracket I made to slide over the stud for the thottle body. the bracket/base are obviously not mounted square to each other so that it will hold it at the angle its at. I think it will be ok there for heat as the hood I got is a cowl induction that is made to suck the air off the top of the bay. Only one way to find out and if it is a problem I have already considered how I can build a piece that would go around the base that with some more heat shielding material that would probably not show should keep the heat away from the majority of the breaker. But if it doesn't work there i would probably have to go forward with the wires and mount it over the radiator or something as the dual 0 gauge wires do not bend that well nor hide well...
NotDeafYet

Post by NotDeafYet »

Oooooooooh.. Adjustable camber plates. :)
Tough call to mount that breaker... At least for it to "show"...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

thanks the CC plates were originally a grey anodized color. It did not look bad and was durable but It did not take long to take off and thankfully and they look a 1000x better. Thanks and the other neat part about them is you can see the knob on the pass side that adusts the rebound. I can't wait to get it on the road and try those out.

What is funny is most of the mustang people on the forums now hate the breaker mount saying it takes away from how nice the throttle body looks lol. My comment to them was that if the looks of the TB had really been important to me to show off I would not have taken the time to grind off the "edelbrock"'s raised logo. Its really more of a function > form. With the dual 0 gauge coming off right off the top of the alt its going to be hard to hide for sure. There really wasn't enough space to run them under the intake and then of course it begs the he the question where would the breaker go? The only real options I had were to go forward towards the bumper or back like I did. After a brief explanation I really they understood but me personally I love that shit as far as the stereo goes its just all business. Image

its messy back behind the intake as I have some hoses I need clean up but I could not be happier with how this sucker is turning out....
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

sorry dude! ive been traveling for work!

i think it looks good, but maybe some clear heatshrink on those alternator connections :)
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I thought I had some clear heat shrink but it was not big enough. I want to cover them as much to protect the black chrome finis as much as to keep them from shorting out.