Good source for older RC info/parts

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Good source for older RC info/parts

Post by Jacampb2 »

I made a decent score on a local FB resale group. Nabbed a bunch of older RC stuff for $100. I got the stuff pictured below as well as three plastic drawers full of parts for RC planes, probably 15 nitro motors, maybe 15-20 servos. A nice programmable battery charger and I think about 10 radios. 4 of which are 7 channel (I think) model aircraft radios.

I think I have found both the RC cars. They are by Tamiya. The truck is a "Clodbuster" and the car is a "Blackfoot". The blackfoot needs parts and it looks like it is still in production, so that shouldn't be a big deal. Other than that, I have no idea where to look for info on the boats. I also need crystals for all the radios and receivers. I was just going to order crystals from mouser for dirt cheap, but a cursory search made it sound like RC crystals are manufacturer specific. Any idea where I go to research this stuff?

Thanks,
Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Good source for older RC info/parts

Post by ttocs »

crystals?! I was into airplanes for a while in az and I do have a lipo slash 4x4 but I only used the spectrum radios. I would guess that they will be specific for the radios and go to the manf for them.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I believe one of your boats is this vintage model...

http://www.greatplanes.com/discontinued/gpmb1001.html

The Kyosho Jet Stream 800 is self explanatory.

I am pretty sure the purple boat is a Prather Off-Shore Deep-V. I believe Prather is now out of business, but the parts for the boat are really not too difficult to come by.

Prather made some of the best fiberglass hulls back in the day.

In the case of the Blackfoot, I think they are now making the Blackfoot 3 or something, and its parts are probably not that interchangeable. I think they made a lot of design changes over the years with it.

As for the Clodbuster, it is one of the most popular RC Trucks ever made (I own two), and parts are readily available to make it into all kinds of crazy beasts.

Here is just one of the countless examples...

http://www.clodparts.com/products/chassis/7.html

If you wanted to sell the outboard motor off the purple boat, or even the whole boat, I would be very interested. I really need another RC boat like I need a hole in my head, but I have never had an outboard motor, and really want to play with one.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Here are a few more bits of info...

Skip using the old radios with crystals.

Get something like this...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-ct3c-3ch- ... green.html

More receivers are cheap...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gr3f.html

That one radio can run all those boats and cars. There are presets for different setups.

If you want to run both cars at the same time, just buy another radio.

Even though those are cheap radios, they are 2.4Ghz modern designs, which don't suffer from "glitching", and your vehicles running away on you.

Also, it looks like the Blackfoot might have a Trinity Joel Johnson motor in it. Those were a cool motor back in the day, and would be great for a collector putting together an all out vintage setup.
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

Wow! Thanks for all the info Eric. I found parts for the blackfoot. From what I read the chassis is still the same after all these years. I got the suspension parts and body mount/outer frame parts that are broken all for the princely sum of $30. I actually already ordered a pair of crystals, but I know if my kids really like this I'll be upgrading. I ordered a brushed ESC for the clod and a few other odds and ends.

Do you think the old aircraft radios are worth anything? I have two Walkera 7 channel FM transmitters and matching receivers, a Futaba 7 channel FM and receiver, and Jline aircraft radio. I was thinking about getting a set of crystals to make sure they are functional and then throwing them on eBay for cheap...

As for the boat-- I'm not sure. My kids so far have expressed far more interest in the boats then the cars... I'll give it some thought and I'll take some more pics of it on my days off. The hull looks to be in good to excellent shape, but the top plexi is cracked and the inside plexi was in rough shape too if I recall correctly.

You're in Michigan too, are you not? Shoot me a PM, maybe we are neighbors. I'm in 48612 now. Any chance you have anything you might want to trade for the boat? RC or PG :) I have an open mind.

Thanks again for all the info.

Sincerely,
Jason
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I am in Muskegon (49457), which is only a few hours from you.

I have one of these, which I would consider trading with you...

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/D ... ID=PRB2000

I bought a new radio box for it, and some other parts, and just never got around to putting it all together. Honestly, I am too afraid to run this boat anyway. It is so big, I don't want to crash into a real boat, or swimmer with it.

I doubt the aircraft radios are worth much, but I have no real experience with them. One R/C area I never got into was flying things. I am interested in getting a quadcopter one of these days but doubt I ever will.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

There are still people using the old crystal radios but its really the old timers that still have all the parts and see no need to upgrade. The spectrums are a great radio though and as he said with one radio and a few recievers all you do is turn the two on and make sure they do their beeping or some play a little song so you know its connected and your off. To sell the old radios I would probably take them up to a local rc field if there is one near by. You might find someone you can trade for the parts you need.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

Eric D wrote: I have one of these, which I would consider trading with you...

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/D ... ID=PRB2000
I'm quite interested Eric, but I am not sure this boat is worth anywhere near that model. I will do my best to get some more pics of it soon, but I won't be off work until Friday, so it will be weekend at the earliest. I'll let you be the judge when you see the pics. Is there anything I should check over? I don't even have fuel to try to start the motor, but there is a nearby hobby shop I could check for fuel...

Thanks for the tip on the radios. I have been messing with what I have all weekend (got some crystal sets) and only one of the surface radios work and only one of the receivers work. They are also really glitchy as well, so I am probably going to take your advice and buy one of the programmable radios. Looks pretty tight.

Thanks,
Jason