Digital Multi Meter

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
gridracer
RIP

Digital Multi Meter

Post by gridracer »

I let the magic smoke out of my old DMM I had to do some soldering to get it back to working but it just isn't the same so I have been shopping for a good one to replace it with. I was wondering if anyone has experience with the MT586BK from blue point? I am looking at it because of the RPM function as well as the temp function. Any Thoughts on it?
Thanks here is the link to it http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp ... e&tool=all
Hontzo_MD

Post by Hontzo_MD »

Kinda salty, but all there stuff is. They are deadly accurate, buddy of mine just got the battery/alt tester, and it is neat, but $$$$$.

Ive had my snap on meter for about 11 years, good investment.

How did you get the smoke?
REALLY!?
"Im not even supposed to be here today!"-Dante Hicks
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

For $451.00 I would expect a heck of alot from a DMM.

Also DMM's have changed alot in just a few years, and they appear to be changing even more in the future. Most folks will be working with Scope meters in the future, and their price has dropped to within the range of money it looks like your willing to spend on this "name brand" item.

As for handheld meters, I believe the Fluke brand name has always been the DMM of choice for most Tech's and Engineers I know of around here in Silicon Valley.
Anything more and it will be a laboratory grade device with a price tag in the clouds to match.

I have 9 different DMM's on my bench. 4 of which are high standard calibration grade devices. 2 are Fluke and Tektronics brand. The other 3 are run of the mill $30.00 DMM's for general disposible usage. My Fluke is going on 15 years old. I keep it calibrated against two independent certified sources.

The $30.00 DMM's get used 70 to 85% of the time. And if by chance the smoke get let of one then I just order another $30.00 voltmeter.

Even the cheaper no nane DMM's are very acceptable nowadays, Since they all use about the same design and technology to begin with. And whenever High standard work is required it almost always requires a DMM with recent Calibration certificates ( Big Bucks). So uness your building a space shuttle or something like that I would look at more affordable meters.
They work just fine for a hugh percentage of work your going to deal with.
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

well the big reason I am looking at this meter is for as I said the RPM and temp functions which will be used alot by me and my buddies I won't buy a new one you can get it for half the price used. I just want to make sure it has the continuity buzzer for when I can't see the screen or look at it. Used doesn't bother me if its in good shape.

Thanks for the replies
hawaiianbasshead

Post by hawaiianbasshead »

I'm an electrician, all electricians here use fluke. some use ideal just to be different...

I got a cheap craftsman that just got discontinued for $9 at sears this past year lol. I also have a true rms 600/600 and that I try not to use as much lol. I mean, I use it, but only for measuring power from amps. not to check voltage or anything the cheap meter can do. I lost so many meters I gave up count after like 10 lol. lost like in attics and just generally misplaced. I've never fried one though. my boss did once trying to measure a taser the idiot lol. suprised he didn't know the meter couldn't read to 50,000 volts... but then again, I think he barely has a high school diploma :lol:
hawaiianbasshead

Post by hawaiianbasshead »

old boss sorry... :oops:
HoseHead
Tim Horton Himself

Post by HoseHead »

I use a Fluke 77III hand held DMM, about 10 years old now. This device has been dropped off buildings, buried in trenches, drowned in ditches and beaten by ham fisted linemen. Outstanding product. It's also 100% Maydnmerica. Snap-On is American (Wisconsin), but I believe their BluePoint Electronics are actually made in Korea. Comments?

The current Fluke model for your requirements is here:

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/fluke/dmm/88.htm

I recommend any Fluker. The premium price is well worth it in this case ($560 for the Combo Kit). But if it's putting groceries on the table.......Lifetime warranty as well. Snap-On life guarantees their wrenches, but I'm not sure about their electronics. Their warranty page is brutally boring.

Personally, I prefer separate devices for automotive applications. I find all the apples in one device makes it too cumbersome and leaves me up the creek in the event of a failure. In addition, you have to carry a kit with all the plug ins. They will get lost. To each his own.

HH
The only stupid question is the one not asked .......
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Get a scope meter and a handheld temp sensor, you can get both for less than the bluepoint if you shop around. If you need RPM's get a Tac.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.