WTB Graphics Card

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

WTB Graphics Card

Post by Eric D »

As many of you have probably noticed, the graphics card industry has gone out of control. Right now cards are going for 3 times what they were a few months ago.

I am looking for an older card to put in a computer I am putting together for my kids to play with.

If you have something lying around you want to sell, let me know.

I have two major restrictions, one, I need a DisplayPort output (monitor only has a DisplayPort input). Two, the computer only has a single 6 pin PCI-E power connector. I can probably make an 8 pin card work with some adapters on the renaming connectors in the computer, but I don't see dual 6 pin being an option, and especially not 6+8 or anything beyond.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: WTB Graphics Card

Post by ttocs »

I had not heard of this shortage. Is this another strange covid thing?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I have an old Asus DirectCUII Radeon R9 290 4GB, but it is a 6+8 and shipping from Canuckistan is probably not worth it
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Well, I ended up buying a GTX 660 off eBay.

But, playing around with this old computer gave me the gaming bug, so I also bought a stripped down Dell G5 gaming PC off eBay as well.
I found a GTX 670 for that, but maybe when (if) prices calm down I will look for something like a GTX 1070, or RTX 2060 to use in it.

I really don't plan on playing any modern games though, so the GTX 670 will probably be just fine.

From the reviews I have read on the Radeon R9 290, it is a very powerful card, but with my computer sitting on the desk right next to me, I don't know if the fan noise would be tolerable.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

aloha, long time no write, any hoo r9 290 okay card but runs hot and is a power hog, if u want to grab a decent card that is abit older and better
grab the fury x. just not sure on how much they will be.

i have a r9 295x2 (two r9 290s in one card) still in my pc and when it is maxed it pulls some juice.

@ttocs yes there is a massive shortage of GPUs and scalpers are killing it with pricing.
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!