Bad Weather!!!!!

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Bad Weather!!!!!

Post by mr tibbs »

This morning when I left my place it was clear and about 40 degrees outside. The weather guys were calling for some snow, but they are only right about 50% of the time if they are lucky. Well, I get down to my parents house and mess around for a while and then I see the clouds moving in. I'm in the car so I tell my dad I'm going to bail and try to get home before the weather gets too bad. I was about an hour or so to late. What normally takes me 50 mins or so to get home took me 2 1/2 hours!! This was the worst I have seen it in a long while. The main highway is closed for pretty much the entire north half of the state. I guess I missed the big wreck by about 15 mins or so, 20 car pile up including semis and cars (story here). Quite the experience, it would have been a hell of a lot easier in the FJ, but I had the girlfriend take it just in case it did get bad today. I guess I have a party story for a while!! :twisted:
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

If Portland gets 1/2 inch the city shuts down. I went to northern Idaho where there is about 40inches of snow and ice on the ground and people drive like it's a sunny summer day.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

whoa....i think zenu was trying to punish the mormans!

glad you came out ok. no bad storms in portland yet
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

ya...not in Portland....

Got some snow here....they closed my son's day care so i didnt go to work today...
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

ya know...you might have mentioned that in the other thread when i told you i was gonna bring your deck in to you!
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

You're lucky Casey. As crazy as it may sound to some of you I'm really missing the winter weather this year! :x

Brian, maybe it's the other way around and this storm is a response to the passing of the Mormon Prophet yesterday. :?:
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Don't get me wrong Jed, I like the weather. I just like it a lot more when I'm not driving around in it in a little FWD Saturn! :lol:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

What are you talking about... bad weather?

With windchill this morning, it was below -50 degrees fahrenheit.

My block heater was plugged in all night, yet the car still barely started. Thank god for that Optima battery! My tires and suspension were frozen flat, so my car bounced along the road. Didn't thaw in the 15 minutes it took to get to work either. The block couldn't get above 1/4 coolant temperature either, just being cooled by the ambient air.

Yep, it was so cold, I wore my snowboarding pants, hoodie, jacket (and hood!), balaclava, and mitts, just to drive to work. I almost wore my ski goggles but they didn't fit over my glasses :lol:

The soles of my shoes are still frozen solid as I type this, as well as the juice I brought into work.

And people wonder why I hate Calgary :roll:
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

I hear ya right now it is -32c and -50c with the winchill I am pretty sure you meant celsius stipud as your temp right now is about the same as here. Oh and we got about 6 inches of snow yesterday with our blizzard.

I love my garage that barely gets to freezing on days like this.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Yeah, I know it's not as bad as other places, it was just a weird day yesterday. Since it started out so warm with the wind blowing everything was melting of really good. Then the cold front came in, but the sind didn't stop! It immediately froze everything that was melting, then the snow hit pretty hard. It dropped about 5 inches in about 2 hours time. Add that to the already frozen roads and horrible Utah drivers and it was a recipe for disaster! They didn't have time to plow all of the roads, and even the ones they did plow didn't matter. The wind didn't stop the entire time so the snow would just drift back over and freeze again. It's just not something we are used to around here, usually the wind stops when the storm arrives. Just a different kind of situation for us here.

I'll tell you one thing Tom, I sure as hell don't envy you guys up north this time of year! I can deal with the cold, but not that damn cold!! I guess a little bit of :bong: is necessary just to keep warm right??!! :lol: :lol:
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

woo hoo its snowin here too :D :lol:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

mr tibbs wrote:I'll tell you one thing Tom, I sure as hell don't envy you guys up north this time of year! I can deal with the cold, but not that damn cold!! I guess a little bit of :bong: is necessary just to keep warm right??!! :lol: :lol:
What else are you supposed to do in this weather? Just walking to your car is enough to freeze your face off. Driving is a huge chore, because you have to granny everywhere. You also get a ton of extra wear on the car, so I try to avoid it if at all possible. Usually in this weather I end up working from home, but I had a bunch of meetings today that I couldn't miss.

Calgary sucks... the city planners have already paved over every semblance of culture we had here. All of our nice old districts downtown have recently been mowed down to make room for skyrises. They are counting on the job market to make people come here, but with a boom-bust economy, that won't last long. Then what will we have left for everyone who lives here? Suburban strip malls. We went through a big bust in the 80's, and everyone just abandoned town... left their houses and everything. Maybe if there was something else to do here but work, many people would have stayed.

Short of driving 1.5 hours to the mountains, there is literally nothing to do in this city. Forget snowboarding when it's this cold... you would be near death after every run. Because of this, I basically just hibernate in the winter. I sleep at least 8 hours a day (usually 6 in the summer), and just sit on my butt and watch cartoons, play with my cat, or the occasional computer game.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

so what keeps you there? family? are you looking for other jobs?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Bfowler wrote:so what keeps you there? family? are you looking for other jobs?
Well I love my job, and Wendy is still in school here for another year and a half, so I'm stuck at least that long. After that we're moving to Vancouver, Holland or Germany.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

i vote vancouver.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Bfowler wrote:i vote vancouver.
I would too if only it wasn't so close to Portland. I can smell your salty beer farts from Ryan's doorstep :lol:
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

no no...that was Camas WA.

my gas is pretty much in check...mr toilet destroyer is the one you have to worry about