EMP

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

EMP

Post by bdubs767 »

You hear about these in the movies all the time...but what exactly do they destroy in electronics that stops all eltronic products from working.
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
slc72005
BANNED!!!!!1111

Post by slc72005 »

from my understanding its basically a magnetic field that is emmited from it.

if i understand it correctly its as if you were to take a hard drive and rub a magnet on it.

i believe it f's up the rom on the device
Scott Damnjanovic
820 Yosemite Trail
Roselle, IL 60172

630-220-5054
630-980-7154

[email protected]
[email protected]

I have stolen hundreds of dollars from my friends. If you know me, stay away, because I will steal from you too.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

slc72005 wrote:from my understanding its basically a magnetic field that is emmited from it.

if i understand it correctly its as if you were to take a hard drive and rub a magnet on it.

i believe it f's up the rom on the device
o so it only kills computers or anything using a hard drive
slc72005
BANNED!!!!!1111

Post by slc72005 »

bdubs767 wrote:
o so it only kills computers or anything using a hard drive
not exactly.

im not 100% sure of it but reasonably sure thou, if that make sense.

ROM means read on memory

basically this is how data is stored.

its all in binary code. there are tons of little spaces , think like a side walk how its split up in squares, only really really small :)

each seperate space holds a magnetic charge or not. my binary code is rust but let say you want to store the word phoenix gold on a storage devide, rom, ram,hd.

it would be written over several squares three in a row might have a magnetic charge then 1 not then 2 with .

basically what im trying to say is the squares ae either on (charged) or off (no charge) a certain sequence of on's and off's represet part of binary code, the binary code is the data, if you take a magnet to it you basically erase the codding on it so that they are all the same either magnetically charged or not so there is no usable data on there.

i know i jumped around a but here hopefully i made some sense out of it for you, its late and im tired

so basically when the electro magnetic pulse (EMP) is emmitted it royally f's up the binary code makeing the electronics a paper weight.

i hope that made sense to you my bunary code is real rusty since i havent even laid eyes on binary code since college, do they even teach it anymore bdubs? i boubt it with all the natural langugae out here.

the only code language that i know that still uses binary code is ADA, if anyone knows what ADA is its computer programming in its most primitive form. the only people using it today that i know of is for the defense department fpr programming of missles and stuff like that.

that programming is very titedous but the most accurate.

its like this it might take 4 ons and offs to produce a number from 0-9 and take 6 numbers to create 1 letter so you can imagine 1 normal length word can take 24 or more ons and offs in a ceratain order, then multiple that by the length and complicity of the code and you got one hell of a long code, better not f up 1 word or its a major pain in the ass to debug.

hope this helps
Scott Damnjanovic
820 Yosemite Trail
Roselle, IL 60172

630-220-5054
630-980-7154

[email protected]
[email protected]

I have stolen hundreds of dollars from my friends. If you know me, stay away, because I will steal from you too.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

slc72005 wrote:even laid eyes on binary code since college, do they even teach it anymore bdubs? i boubt it with all the natural langugae out here.

Couldn't tell you as my Art major, psyc, and human dev minor dont really dive into the binary code to often :wink:

but I kinda got yea.
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

many semi-conductors are very sensitive to a magnetic feild as well not just ROM, essentially and semi-conductor has carbon in it in soem form aka silicon. Carbon is a great conductor so when you think of magnetism and how it can polarize things then look at electricity and how it works by electron flow............if you throw a ton of magnetism at something that may or may not be magnetic you still polarize it to some extend so all of your negatively charged electrons rush to one end creating a voltage surge cooking sensitive components and eliminating further current flow because everything has oriented to one end already.

I could be way off but this is how I have always understood it's functionality, also when you think about it a human being or any other life-form in the direct path of an EMP would have one hell of a headache.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
slc72005
BANNED!!!!!1111

Post by slc72005 »

the only thng i see wrong with your explanation is this errin.

if you have the electronics turned off when it gets hit with an emp there is a chance it wil still work without repair after the pulse is gone.

now i think we all realize after this chat that there are alot of variables at play here, and i personally cant give a deffinative answer becasue we are talking in general and not a specific piece of electronics, like if brandon said his ms100ota would be affected i would say no.

you are correct on a few things errin but im not sure if it actually "cooks" anything in the electronics but also i am not sure about semi conductors so you can be rigth ont hat one.

i ahve never studied the affects of EMP's but basically going off of my knowledge that i learned from college in computer class', like how i explained that you can F up a hard drive with magnatism.

I really only have a broad basic knowledge of EMP and its effects
Scott Damnjanovic
820 Yosemite Trail
Roselle, IL 60172

630-220-5054
630-980-7154

[email protected]
[email protected]

VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

SLC,

If the electronics are off per say what does that mean? Well that means they are disconnected from electricity.

What is electricity? It is the flow of electrons.

If an electron moves then there is an electrical charge produced at some minor level, but what happens when every single electron is forced to move in unison without regulation through a given electronic device? This is my understanding of how EMP works.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.