Robust Porter 2007

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Robust Porter 2007

Post by Eric D »

2 weeks in the making…

brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

wow, nice.,,,
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
Mastiff
French Poodle

Post by Mastiff »

17 bottles of beer on the wall ...17 bottles of beer............... :lol:
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

You brew your own don't you?
Boomshackalacka
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

thats awesome. it looks classy and is functional too!

how is it?
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

One week until I can try it...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

That looks delicious.

Ingredients?
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Time well spent.............
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I started drinking the porter last week, and it turned out pretty good. Zero aftertaste, (seems weird to me), a reasonable head, and knock your socks off alcohol content. I am by no means an alcoholic, but still drink a reasonable amount, and one bottle (1 liter) put me on my ass.

I have another batch, this time an old English pale ale, which will be ready to drink next week. And, I have an Imperial Russian stout sitting in the carboy fermenting. It will be ready to bottle next weekend.

Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Wow, that pale ale looks might tasty. And I don't think Guinness is as dark as your porter.
Boomshackalacka
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Most people do not believe this, but Guinness is actually a “light” beer. Color does not have much to do with it. Light and dark are not necessarily opposites in beer land. Dark is physically dark, and light is low in carbs, or sugars in general. Guinness is both light and dark in this sense.

If you drank even the pale ale I have here and then drank a Guinness, the Guinness would be similar to drinking tap water. All Guinness has is an impressive head which takes so long to pour and makes others think the beer is thick and robust, when in reality it is watered down. Guinness is a great entry level beer for those looking for something beyond Bud and Miller. But in time it becomes too weak and people move on.
HoseHead
Tim Horton Himself

Post by HoseHead »

Eric D wrote:Zero aftertaste, (seems weird to me), a reasonable head, and knock your socks off alcohol content. I am by no means an alcoholic, but still drink a reasonable amount, and one bottle (1 liter) put me on my ass.
Oh. Just like any normal Canadian beer. :D

I used to brew my own. Too much time & work to bottle it, but the product was excellent. I'm renovating a house right now and will be designing a Brew Room for both wine and beer. hermostatically controlled fermentation closets, car boy lifts etc.

HH
The only stupid question is the one not asked .......
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

HoseHead wrote:
Eric D wrote:Zero aftertaste, (seems weird to me), a reasonable head, and knock your socks off alcohol content. I am by no means an alcoholic, but still drink a reasonable amount, and one bottle (1 liter) put me on my ass.
Oh. Just like any normal Canadian beer. :D

I used to brew my own. Too much time & work to bottle it, but the product was excellent. I'm renovating a house right now and will be designing a Brew Room for both wine and beer. hermostatically controlled fermentation closets, car boy lifts etc.

HH
Ok, you put me to shame...
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

too bad i dont drink..........
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
Mastiff
French Poodle

Post by Mastiff »

so what all goes into this beer making set up you got going on Eric ?

whats that cost like ?

do you think its worth it ?
joyride

Post by joyride »

Eric, being around Kzoo, you have to try Bells Consecretor Dopplebock. That ia the thickest beer I have ever had. 2 and I was full. Bilbos sledgehammer is prettyy good too. Some day ypou should come down and we can go drinkin.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

The initial cost for the needed equipment is around $100. You have to add in a 5-7 gallon pot if you don’t have one. Canning pots work, I bought a stainless steel one myself.

Each beer kit is $25, and makes 5 gallons. But, once you get into it you can make your own recipes and things get a bit cheaper. The cost is similar to commercial beers, but you get a vastly superior product.

I have tried pretty much all Bells products, but honestly cannot tell you which ones. One of my personal favorite beers is brewed downtown Grand Rapids at Founders, it is called Dirty Bastard. I also like their Kentucky Breakfast, which is something like 12% alcohol, but they only brew it every few years in small batches to my knowledge.

My fiancé’s parents own a specialty party store which specializes in home brew supplies, wine making supplies, and specialty beers. They must have well over 500 beers from all around the world. Each time I am at their house for a family event (Christmas, birthdays, etc), her father always brings home a cooler filled with random beers he grabbed on his way out. I have had so many different beers it is crazy, but I can’t remember very many of them.

http://www.sicilianosmkt.com/
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

The minimum equipment consists of a 5-7 gallon pot to brew in, a thermometer, an auto siphon with hose, fermenting bucket, with lid, and airlock. Optionally you can use a glass carboy (like I did for the first time on the beer shown here), hydrometer to let you know your alcohol content, and a wort chiller to improve the clarity and longevity in storage of your beer.
Mastiff
French Poodle

Post by Mastiff »

thanks for the info Eric.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

I like beer.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Eric D wrote:My fiancé’s parents
Am I the only one to notice this??

Congrats Eric.

And I guess I should revise what I said up there, it's not that Guinness is "Dark" it's just way to bitter.

I like something more along the lines of Moosehead, Blue Moon, and when all else fails, Miller Lite.
Boomshackalacka
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Eric D wrote:My fiancé’s
CONGRATS, as I dont think you ever mentioned anything about dropping the big ? before
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Francious70 wrote:
Eric D wrote:My fiancé’s parents
Am I the only one to notice this??

Congrats Eric.

And I guess I should revise what I said up there, it's not that Guinness is "Dark" it's just way to bitter.

I like something more along the lines of Moosehead, Blue Moon, and when all else fails, Miller Lite.
bastard beat me too it lol
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

bdubs767 wrote:
CONGRATS, as I dont think you ever mentioned anything about dropping the big ? before
I guess I don't see it as a big deal. I am still under the false assumption things will not change when I get married... :lol:
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Eric D wrote:
bdubs767 wrote:
I guess I don't see it as a big deal. I am still under the false assumption things will not change when I get married... :lol:
Lets hope not lol ... but congrats DOC, things are lookign good for yea own your own house and soon to be married. You know what that means baby in the carrige soon :shock: