Moving out of the country

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
BH
Wretched Simmons

Moving out of the country

Post by BH »

I'm toying with the idea of moving to Italy... Anyone know anything about pets in the area and how that all works. Plus other things to consider. I'll probably not be doing anything for 8 to 12 months but its something that I have the option of doing now that we are owned by an Italian corporation. I'd be moving to Bologna which is a pretty big city and flat out beautiful from what I've seen so far. I know Tom goes back and forth a lot and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on that...

(serious comments only please)
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Any pets would need to be held in quarantine (or whatever you call it) for a minimum of 2 weeks I think at either end of the journey, some may not be allowed.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Italy is hot. Like, really really hot. Prepare to sweat your ass off. Bologna is breathtaking, and Italians are way nicer in Italy than they are in North America. I enjoy going there as a tourist, but I don't know how it would be to live there... I am more used to northern Europe in that sense (Germany/Holland/France/Scandinavia for the most part).

If you can get a visa, travel should be no problem. Europe is very open once you get in. I am a Dutch citizen, so I can go anywhere in the EU and get any job without a visa... best hookup ever.

Most important advice I can give you is to learn Italian, and pretend to be Canadian.
BH
Wretched Simmons

Post by BH »

Yea we'd try to learn Italian as much as possible but thankfully they'd speak English at work so it wouldn't be too much of a shock there...

Currently I'm planning on if we do it either finding someone to rent our house (or possibly sell it) before heading over there. Then we'd just put all of our stuff in a storage unit. And give our cars (and possibly our pets) to our parents to take care of...

Then we'd need to find a furnished apt to live in while we were there. I'm gonna have a million questions to ask as far as the work arrangements when I'm in Italy but yea thats for them to answer. Thankfully when I'm in Italy I'll be answering to bosses here in Eugene so I'll know how to deal with them.

Bri (my fiance) is in a business unit that is managed in Italy now so she'd be closer to her bosses. Its a somewhat scary thought but I honestly think it would be a lot of fun! I'm thinking I'd only want to stay for 2 or 3 years but hell once I'm there who knows.
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

stipud wrote:
Most important advice I can give you is to learn Italian, and pretend to be Canadian.
Oh yes, do not let on that you are American they will really not like you in Europe as Americans are regarded as lazy, rude, and obnoxiously loud. If it is known that you are American your life will be much more difficult while in Europe.

Learn Hockey and say Eh' regularly and you should be okay.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Dood, Brett. Do it. I don't care what you have to do, but do it.
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

i would love to live in italy!!!!! it is beautiful there, and ive only seen pics that my dad showed me that his dad left him after he died.
my grandfather on my dads side is from italy.
BH
Wretched Simmons

Post by BH »

Well I'm going to start learning Italian. Even if I stay in Eugene having a lil Italian in my back pocket couldn't hurt when I work for an Italian company!

BTW this is who I work for now:

http://www.datalogic.com
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Try to learn Spanish first as Italian and French are nearly second nature after word and you have a better chance finding somebody to speak Spanish with to practice conversation.
BH
Wretched Simmons

Post by BH »

Not if I move to Italy in the next 6 to 12 months. And not when there are always people coming from italy to work with us in the US. I've got PLENTY of Italians around to speak with at the current moment.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

BH wrote:Not if I move to Italy in the next 6 to 12 months. And not when there are always people coming from italy to work with us in the US. I've got PLENTY of Italians around to speak with at the current moment.
I bet the females there love that.