Hockey Megathread

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Hockey Megathread

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

Seriously, where the shit are the hockey fans? We have a big enough hoser crowd on this phorum, but are you true fans? Its playoff time for Christ sake. Lets get discussin! HH, STRYKER,CHANNNAMEN,STIPUD, FUZZYSD, AND GRIDRACER is that all of us? What are your picks, underdogs....blahblahblah. Dont feel shy if yous a Yank and are a Hockey fan......
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I like the Canucks a lot this year. Luongo is the shit, they seem to have good chemistry, and aside from their losing streak in February, they have been pretty consistent. I also like them because it pisses off Calgarians :lol:. I guess they are the new rivals now that the Oilers suck. Soooo many whiners when you ousted us from first place in the division.

Calgary in all honesty SHOULD be a better team, but they haven't been consistent in years, and they don't seem to handle pressure very well. I don't expect them to do that great in the playoffs. Better to have low expectations and then be pleasantly surprised when they do well, like a few years ago, before they lost to Tampa Bay.

I only really watch the playoffs, and I'll probably only care about these two teams, except for the finals.
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

Pittsburgh baaabeeeee!

Sadly tho, when march comes round, college hoops dominate all the sports channels. Pisses me off cause till hockey starts being shown again I've lost interest.
Greg Kitching
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

I lost interest years ago with the strike. I was just getting into it and then it went away. :evil:
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Calgary just took over first in the div again :evil: Its going to be a battle until we meet in our 2nd last game of the season.
Lastnights game was CRAZY! 5-5 and lost in the shootout.
I really like the vibe the Nucks have this season, since Feb3 they are 25-6-2 :shock: This team makes me forget the Naslund, Bert, & Mo years.
I think the Canucks, SJ, and Detroit are the teams in the West to watch, maybe Chicago aswell, they are really young though, so that might play to a fault.
In the East, you cant deny Pittsburgh, they have been on a run as of late,Washington seems to be a contender, and ofcourse theres Boston. Another Boston Montreal series would be great to watch.
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

gkitching wrote:Pittsburgh baaabeeeee!
I was happy to see them NOT win the cup last time around.

I like hockey, but there's just something that prevents me from being a true fan. I think it's all the bogus hype and marketing surrounding professional sports that bugs me. Either way, I like the game. Just don't care to follow ever minor stat, buy stupid logo adorned products or blindly follow any player or team.

I like the 'Nucks. They got some good guys that just like to play hard hockey. Burrows did himself and Vancouver well signing that contract. He plays with heart, that's always nice.

Seems to me that both Bobby Lu' and Kipper need to pick up their fucking game and DOMINATE like they have in the past. They are both considered elite goaltenders but they just aren't playing a level above anyone else in the league. Sure, they're still awesome, but they just aren't fucking stealing games for their teams anymore. Maybe I just don't watch enough hockey to know better anymore.

I like the Habs as well, they were my old hometown team and I can't shake 'em. Gotta love the winningest team in NHL history ;) So many great hockey moments involve the Habs. I just hope they make the playoffs (haven't checked standings too recently) and put in a good showing. I have no expectations but I'd like to see some good Habs hockey in the playoffs, even if they loose first round.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

I think the Habs are hanging onto 8th? They may have jumped up to sixth lastnight though. My team is and always has been the Canucks. Playoff time my team comes first, and Ill also cheer for the other Canadian teams, but never, and I mean NEVER cheer for TO. Id like to see either Washington or Pittsburgh come out of the East, if the Habs dont.
I agree with you about Lu and Kipper dude, they havent been thyre dominant selves as of late......not that I give a f*** about Kipper :lol:
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

i'm holding out on my picks ans so forth til all the playoff seedings are in.
of course i like the flames cause i live here and get more coverage errrrr... is that brainwashing. sadly they need a gut check right now.
vancouver is playing much better than a couple month's ago and they may steal the 3rd seed from the flames.

this year is a real tossup so who knows. i do like pitt in the east if fleury can play well and a dark horse is the rangers. of course jersey is always there as well. the end of the regular season is closing in. the last few games well certainly be exciting. really tho i'm excited about the masters and seeing whether Tiger will win again. enuf for now, wonder if a pool is possible online amongst us?

cheers
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

I have always been a quebec nordiques fan (for you non fans that is colorado avalanche now) They aren't gonna be in the playoffs but with any luck they'll finish as the worst team and pick tavares in the draft.

I don't make predictions because anyone that I say will win will lose.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Fuckin A, I loved the Nordiques. Don't much care for them now that they're in Colorado though...
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

Why is it Canada is always looking for another MLB baseball team but can't keep their hockey teams?
Greg Kitching
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

gkitching wrote:Why is it Canada is always looking for another MLB baseball team but can't keep their hockey teams?
Because you have more money and corporate sponsorship.
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

I would think that a hockey team would be less expensive to run then a baseball team. Although I'm no expert there, the salaries these ballplayers get is just stupid crazy.
Greg Kitching
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

They are cheaper now, thanks to the salary cap after the walkout a few years ago. Before that many of the good Canadian players and teams were sent down to the US, because we couldn't afford them (e.g. Gretzky, Colorado Avalanche).
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Biggest game of the season tonight, Canucks and Flames! If the Flames win, they clinch 1st in the div, if the Canucks win, it sets up a really good dog fight for the final 2 games each team has left.
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

stipud wrote:They are cheaper now, thanks to the salary cap after the walkout a few years ago. Before that many of the good Canadian players and teams were sent down to the US, because we couldn't afford them (e.g. Gretzky, Colorado Avalanche).
.. and The Jets.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Whats your picks boyz? 2 teams per conference....
from the west im taking Van and San Jose
from the east ive got crosby and the boys and Boston
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
5.9Limited

Post by 5.9Limited »

boston for sure...they're the only sports team in the city without a championship in the last decade....they've played well all year and want it real bad...and I'd like to see 'em get it. san jose's a tough team too...

though I never played it, and have hardly even skated..I love hockey, have always loved to watch it, and when I was kid I LOVED hockey video games... I remember rushing to get the latest NHL games for my SEGA GENESIS..... :lol: good times.
Is this where Im supposed to write something catchy??
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

Love hockey.......can't stand to watch it on TV....it's not the same
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

5.9Limited wrote:boston for sure...they're the only sports team in the city without a championship in the last decade....they've played well all year and want it real bad...and I'd like to see 'em get it. san jose's a tough team too...

though I never played it, and have hardly even skated..I love hockey, have always loved to watch it, and when I was kid I LOVED hockey video games... I remember rushing to get the latest NHL games for my SEGA GENESIS..... :lol: good times.
NHL 94 on SEGA GENESIS, I will SLAUGHTER ANYONE!!!!!! HANDS DOWN :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

oldskoolmseriesfan wrote:
5.9Limited wrote:boston for sure...they're the only sports team in the city without a championship in the last decade....they've played well all year and want it real bad...and I'd like to see 'em get it. san jose's a tough team too...

NHL 94 on SEGA GENESIS, I will SLAUGHTER ANYONE!!!!!! HANDS DOWN :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
That's b/c you STILL play it :P :P
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

dBincognito wrote:Love hockey.......can't stand to watch it on TV....it's not the same
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
your just pissy because the Panthers shit the bed, and didnt squeak in for 8th spot :D
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

My dream cup series is vancouver vs. montreal. It ain't gonna happen, that's why it's a dream.

A lot of sports guys on TV are picking the 'nucks surprisingly. I wonder if that's because it's on Canadian TV?

I don't see calgary pulling through unless they step up big. Montreal/Boston is a classic series. That'll be fun if only because of nostalgia.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

dBincognito wrote:
oldskoolmseriesfan wrote:

That's b/c you STILL play it :P :P
SO :!:
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:My dream cup series is vancouver vs. montreal. It ain't gonna happen, that's why it's a dream.

A lot of sports guys on TV are picking the 'nucks surprisingly. I wonder if that's because it's on Canadian TV?

I don't see calgary pulling through unless they step up big. Montreal/Boston is a classic series. That'll be fun if only because of nostalgia.
If Carey Price plays well... who knows.Its always a great series to watch though. I also think Columbus is a really strong team not to be taken lightly.
Im going to watch Washington aswell, purely to see Ovechkins magic!
By the way Chicago in 4!!!
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!