Stryker's 96 T-Bird 3k daily

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Hey guys, well the weather here has been fuking horrible the last few days but I got started on the 100sq feet of deadener I'm putting down yesterday. I've never had the interior completely out like this and was dreading having to do it. Was fairly pain free but cold outside(around 40F) brrrrr. Heat gun and fun and this shit stiks like mad..... :lol: Fatmat 50Mil. I would almost hate doin it in warm weather, stuff would touch and you would not have a second chance.
All i can say is I hope this biotch is quiet now....it was quiet to begin with but now I can hardly wait. completed it today and every piece of metal that i could see is covered. I skipped the roof and may go back to do it if I have enough leftover. Keep in mind I broke my C-6 vertabrae(neck) in 2 spots playing hockey in March so I was not gonna be doin the roof. I did the back area twice, and still have to do the doors and trunk lid. Will get those this weekend as it was raining off and on with a lil snow mixed in for good measure. Behind every plastic panel I previously used expanding foam and it's solid so no need to remove all that.
Last night while I was watching Passtime on Speed Channel I redid the kik pods I've had for the past four yrs. They were already deadened fairly well but I added more :lol: on the inside and out. These were made with a Becel margarine container :) and sound dam good if I do say so. you can flick the outside with your finger and it's dead for sure, trust me on this. Just have to repaint the carpet as no one has alpine green carpet to match my interior :lol: So I used grey.
Started the amp rack setup and it's going to look just the way I want it to, the 1200.1's will sorta appear to be floating at first glance..... Really the only way I could manage to fit these big amps in my trunk and still have my golf clubs fit in. Made little feet and these will rest on blocks of 3/4 MDF and sorta a spider thing. I had debated on using carpet on these platforms but it made it very bulky looking.....thought about it over dinner and said hmmmmmm Sharpie :wink: so I gave it a test and voila not too bad. It does look better in person and the flash definately made it show up more but it's very similiar to the brushed black on the amps. I will reserve judgement until it's all said and done. For now it's going to be done with Sharpie action. I must say on a side note that whomever thought having mismatched feet on all corners of these amps was whacked out. :lol: I can hardly wait to see this after the holes are done underneath the amps,eq's and BC with the stinger cap glowing through the bottom. I hope it's going to flow well. Tomorrow gonna run the power wire and another RCA from the headunit and reinstall the interior, finish the amp rack,and hope Mikey gets that EQ. here's some pic's of the last two days.
Attachments
Not too noticeable, flash didn't help me out much.
Not too noticeable, flash didn't help me out much.
DSCN2739.JPG (368.48 KiB) Viewed 14327 times
DSCN2738.JPG
DSCN2738.JPG (406.47 KiB) Viewed 14327 times
DSCN2737.JPG
DSCN2737.JPG (353.75 KiB) Viewed 14327 times
DSCN2736.JPG
DSCN2736.JPG (294.19 KiB) Viewed 14327 times
tastes like butter mmmmm!
tastes like butter mmmmm!
DSCN2732.JPG (348.3 KiB) Viewed 14327 times
DSCN2731.JPG
DSCN2731.JPG (368.72 KiB) Viewed 14327 times
DSCN2735.JPG
DSCN2735.JPG (434.8 KiB) Viewed 14327 times
DSCN2730.JPG
DSCN2730.JPG (454.09 KiB) Viewed 14327 times
ported 15's in a tbird can be done barely...
ported 15's in a tbird can be done barely...
DSCN2727.JPG (350.28 KiB) Viewed 14327 times
DSCN2729.JPG
DSCN2729.JPG (422.72 KiB) Viewed 14327 times
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Well it was a 10 hour install day.... ran the power wire and new RCA's. Got the interior back in no problem. Completed the amp rack after grabbing the second Eq from Mike. thx again for dropping it off :D . after the amp rack I wired in all the remotes,grounds,and power wire to the capacitor. tomorrow I'll get the subs rewired, kiks reinstalled, remove the head unit and plug in the new RCA. hook up the gear and hopefully be bumpin huge. :D

I do have some small odds and ends to look at. I must deaden trunk lid, and doors, make a new cover for the spare tire as the factory one had been in and out one too many times and finally just broke in half :roll: other than that swimmin along nicely. here's a few pic's of how it looks all set up and not wired yet. it looks pretty dam good to me. certainly not stealth but I wanted to show all of the gear anyway. the 1200.1's look to be floating it's hard to tell in the pic's but does look good.
Attachments
DSCN2740.JPG
DSCN2740.JPG (390.09 KiB) Viewed 14297 times
DSCN2742.JPG
DSCN2742.JPG (395.87 KiB) Viewed 14297 times
DSCN2743.JPG
DSCN2743.JPG (376.07 KiB) Viewed 14297 times
DSCN2744.JPG
DSCN2744.JPG (355.94 KiB) Viewed 14297 times
DSCN2746.JPG
DSCN2746.JPG (404.35 KiB) Viewed 14297 times
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Baaad aaassssssssss 8)

Now clean up those wires!! :D
culzero

Post by culzero »

looks awesome
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Nice, dude! I like how the amps "hide" the EQ cabling.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

damn...that is impressive looking. the sheer amount of "amp" is outstanding"
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
wash with gasoline

Post by wash with gasoline »

looks sweet to me ...careful turning that beast up, you might rebreak your neck :P
dry with match
shaheen

Post by shaheen »

sorry to sound pedantic, but it looks like the front enclosures (midrange) are small, very small in fact. You may have a problem with those
AKA Shaheenk
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

shaheen wrote:sorry to sound pedantic, but it looks like the front enclosures (midrange) are small, very small in fact. You may have a problem with those
yes they are small, I've tried bigger but just wasn't happy with giving up most of the foot space for a speaker. I'm unable to use my e brake at all as it is so.....the passenger pounds the hell out of there side cause they just have no clue not gonna worry about it for now. I would like to take both sets of 5.25's and put the driver's in the same enclosure using fiberglass at some point this summer with one tweet down low and one in each a pillar but thats another project. but ya they have sounded good in the past. they hold .7 of a liter if that tells you anything. I just poured some water in it :lol:
thx for all the great comments, today hopefully this MOFO will make some noise. I'm excited about getting this done today but it's still before 7AM (had to let the dog out)and frosty outside, so I'll wait till around 8 and start then. I really want to see it at night to see if it lights up a little bit from the caps LEDS, plus the Rsd's all have blue in them too. I'll repost later tonight.
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

It looks great like how the line are true. How the hell did you get it over to your car.I was waiting for the phone call...lol
now install all the wires it will sound great. I do think you should make kicks in your door for some 6" or 8" mid bass
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Stryker

Re: item

Post by Stryker »

kg1961 wrote:It looks great like how the line are true. How the hell did you get it over to your car.I was waiting for the phone call...lol
now install all the wires it will sound great. I do think you should make kicks in your door for some 6" or 8" mid bass
thats the next project.....8 inch subs in/the dash. already know where i'm gonna put them. I do have some 6.5 coax I could throw in the doors for now to replace the 5.25's gotta finish this first.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

stipud wrote:Baaad aaassssssssss 8)

Now clean up those wires!! :D
X2

It looks good but the wire nest has made me cringe everytime.......
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Ok it's all buttoned up and friggin loud!!!!! :D I do have a slight alt whine. :( very slight not too sure what to do....the power line does not run with the RCA"s only place they might touch would be behind the amp rack. gonna take a photo tonight when it gets darker. :)

ok I've located the source to be the RCA's on the EQ feeding just the front kiks. I will have to unplug for now and not have KIK pods on, Monday I can work on it some more as there is alot of work to do other than Car sound. :(. three kids have something to do with it.....Sounds fairly good for not being tuned at all. Basically I spent 15 minutes fiddling with the gains and EQ's so it's not where it should be just yet. over too Stipud's soon for a tune and should sound good. the subs are loud and have good impact, haven't pushed them real hard yet but I could feel my nose caving slightly :lol: drinking coffee would be a challenge for sure.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Found it!!!! thx for the help Stipud but having OCD I went out and dug, I didn't really change anything from the wiring end except bigger power and ground, same ground and power wire route. the problem was..... drum roll please...... a beautiful looking true balanced twisted pair PG RCA with smoked/gold ends. tried it on both eq's and it made the noise. my middle of the road Scoshe iced purple do not do this at all. So I'm very releived as I always fear the worst. I'll shoot some pic's later on.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Well I've busy the last few days, Haven't had more than a few hours here and there to do any install work :( . I' get started and then start a tune session instead :lol: :lol: when other stuff needs to get done. I deadened the front doors completely which made a huge difference, redid the trunk lid as well. I'm waiting on new carpet for the trunk so the old one will have to do for now. I did some parking lot listening :D and I'm not too sure but I'm guessing I will never be able to totally deaden this 14 yr old car completely :oops: .....It does not rattle much at all but with the SPL I'm hitting I could use another 100sq feet and then maybe it would be quiet :-s . I did save a little bit for those small rattle's when I have time.
I'm sorry the pic's are not very good as we have a white fence and the reflection on the amp's is crummy. gonna try to get a few tonite without the fence.

I'm very happy with how it sounds both quality and spl wise 8) . It hits very hard, I'm very pleased with the Clarion 15" subs that I paid 50 bucks each for :shock: . although it does need some x-over tuning I beleive I do think I've got the gains set fairly well :whistle: . I would probably need a better ear for that as I'm a basshead at heart :metal: One thing I absolutely had to have was access to all the amps for adjusting which I accomplished :). the tuner in me cannot leave it alone and I'll be dialing it in all summer I'm sure. 8) The only thing that is not complete is the mounting of the RMD but I'm going to get to that tomorrow if I can, gonna move the LPL and bass cube remote just in front of the shifter. I also have to wait for an RCA I ordered off EBAY so I can run the kiks independantly from the doors and subs(this way I hope to have a little bit lower xover on the floor than the door speakers) they will have there on 215ix. As the airspace is so much greater in the doors than the small pods I made.

well I think I've done a decent job. It was time consuming the last 10 days or so. here's more pic's
Attachments
DSCN2808.JPG
DSCN2808.JPG (412 KiB) Viewed 14144 times
DSCN2807.JPG
DSCN2807.JPG (430.84 KiB) Viewed 14144 times
DSCN2806.JPG
DSCN2806.JPG (436.94 KiB) Viewed 14144 times
DSCN2805.JPG
DSCN2805.JPG (339.87 KiB) Viewed 14144 times
DSCN2804.JPG
DSCN2804.JPG (345.21 KiB) Viewed 14144 times
DSCN2802.JPG
DSCN2802.JPG (354.67 KiB) Viewed 14144 times
steelbath

Post by steelbath »

Great Job on the wiring it looks real clean. :D
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

looks great corey
love the detail most can't see
it sounded great when we got you fornt on
just to muck bass for me
you heARD MY WIFES car that the type of sound I like
did you end up with any matting extra? if so how much and how much $$$$
talk to ya
Mike
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Damn I need to get around to deadening my car one of these days :roll:

Looks great for sure!! :)
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

stipud wrote:Damn I need to get around to deadening my car one of these days :roll:

Looks great for sure!! :)
Me too...I need to dead my car too.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Holy crap that looks good! :shock:

I think I understand your setup now :lol:
Boomshackalacka
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

My kick pods are pretty small as well, and deadened too... I have yet to regret it!
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

hey all,
Well the last few days have been spent trying to figure out what to do with the BASS CUBE remote and it's cousin LPL :scratch: . I had figured I wanted to put them closer to my reach when I'm cruisin around so the obvious place was the old coin spot. I used to have a fog light switch in it's place but those lasted about a week till one was broke. I decide to use 1/8 acrylic instead of MDF for no particular reason other than it flex's easier :| . it's only $4.00 at Rona so I had a good size piece in case I needed to redo it more than once.....lol :lol: :lol: :lol: . 5 try's later :doh: I had it!!! :oops: :oops: In the process I broke off the ashtray lid so had to make a cover for that as well :evil: . I had planned on painting the underside black but trying to get the exact fit was fruitless :idiot: , as I soon found out. there was just to many contours of differing shapes to get it just right. I used some leftover speaker box carpet I had....it worked ok cause it hides a couple of imperfections. I used this stuff called household GOOP to glue it on underneath and holy shaat it is friggin strong stuff I pressed as hard as I could and this stuff didn't even budge, way better than 5 minute epoxy IMHO. Highly recommened it for all your glue sniffing needs as well. :thumbs: Thank god the old guy next door had a power grinder for me to use on top of my workmate as this would have taken me a long time without it :clap: . I'm not completely happy with the console top as I would have prefered black carpet instead of grey but that can easily be remedied at another date. I may also use one large piece to cover both area's :-s .
the RMD was much easier 8) , and holy smokes if it didn't fit in to that slot like it was meant to be there. Just do not like the way the temp. gauge does not match at all. I may remove it totally later on and use the dash factory one again. I do like to use the aftermarket gauge as it reads more accurate. Fairly happy with seeing actual volts at the amp. upon cold starting it is sitting at 14.7-14.8 :) during driving 13.8-11.9 depending on volume and bass notes :metal: :roll: :roll: .

I also grabbed a quick pic of the optima and clamp set up. I do need to run a new 0/1 gauge cable to somewhere on the block and that area should be complete.

here's a few pic's of the latest work and a shot with no reflection of the fence from the night time. Could not figure out the wifey's camera, I wanted to get a pic without a flash to show the light effect of all the amp's but couldn't, anyone know how? :scratch:

later
Attachments
DSCN2824.JPG
DSCN2824.JPG (369 KiB) Viewed 14067 times
DSCN2753.JPG
DSCN2753.JPG (429.63 KiB) Viewed 14067 times
DSCN2823.JPG
DSCN2823.JPG (356.25 KiB) Viewed 14067 times
DSCN2821.JPG
DSCN2821.JPG (379.17 KiB) Viewed 14067 times
DSCN2820.JPG
DSCN2820.JPG (352.04 KiB) Viewed 14067 times
DSCN2818.JPG
DSCN2818.JPG (385.61 KiB) Viewed 14067 times
DSCN2815.JPG
DSCN2815.JPG (263.27 KiB) Viewed 14067 times
DSCN2814.JPG
DSCN2814.JPG (292.3 KiB) Viewed 14067 times
DSCN2812.JPG
DSCN2812.JPG (250.09 KiB) Viewed 14067 times
DSCN2811.JPG
DSCN2811.JPG (261.09 KiB) Viewed 14067 times
DSCN2809.JPG
DSCN2809.JPG (277.94 KiB) Viewed 14067 times
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

its commin alont but I can't say I am a fan of the trunk-liner carpet on the interior as it just doesn't match anything else.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

im gonna have to agree. vinyl would look decent though
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...