Stryker's 96 T-Bird 3k daily

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
paulmichelsen

Post by paulmichelsen »

Even black textured plastic would look cleaner.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Bfowler wrote:im gonna have to agree. vinyl would look decent though
thats a good idea.... I'll go check it out and source some vinyl tomorrow. fairly easy to make these acrylic thing's with the use of a grinder at my disposal. was getting tired of my console in pieces. Had to throw something together today.
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

vinyl will be hard to wrap on something so thin. It will make it much thicker and would require some trimming.

The dash pieces it is in is just a flat or semi-gloss black which couldn't be easier to copy with a rattle can. Peel off the carpet, clean off the glue and hit it.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Hey all, well to update this thread I've acquired some Xmax 15's :D to swap in and get rid of the Clarion's :hurr: . Although the Clarion's served me well for around 8 mo's i could not pass up the deal I got on the Xmax's :whistle: .
After some trimming and forcing :lol: at/in Kg's garage yesterday, finally got them stuffed into the box. I decided after doing some research on the web to stuff approx. 1 1/2 pounds of polyfill into the chamber's to fool the subs a little bit into thinking the box is a little bigger. I've done this before on my own with good results and my research only confirmed what I had thought. It does work to some extent in a ported box. I measured it out and i have just slightly over 2.5 cubes per side with the vent tuning it at around 37Hz. Possibly this summer I may have the proper box made exactly for these subs but as it sits now it sounds dam good for what it is.
I haven't really given it the hammer volume wise so that the silicone around the egde of the subs can cure properly, but I couldn't resist just a little bit :twisted: and man is the sound crisp and LOUD! I should say Each sub has it's own amp(1200.1 RSd) giving them approx.780w per sub. These Shook my body in a different sort of way than the Clarion's. :lol: :lol: So far from what I can tell I will certainly like these subs. I have not tuned really at all except for minor gain and subsonic and that was done very quick as it was friggin dam cold out yesterday afternoon. Anyway I will update after i tune these some more in a few days. here's a couple of pic's.....love the look of these units fer' sure. :mrgreen:
Attachments
DSCN3667.JPG
DSCN3667.JPG (322.44 KiB) Viewed 14033 times
DSCN3668.JPG
DSCN3668.JPG (403.62 KiB) Viewed 14033 times
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

how deep are the ports? 5-6"? They just look very shallow.

Did you silicon around these woofers as well? It is hard to tell if that is a fresh coat or the stuff that was around the old woofers?
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

4"x8" ports....it's the angle of the picture, after looking at it ya they look short for sure. Yes I applied a boat load of fresh silicone around the edges. Mikey had to get some more from his stash. :lol: I think i took that pic before a scrapped most of it off.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Bad ass! I am so stoked you got these! Was a hell of a deal for sure! Now you've got your ALL PG install :D
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

stipud wrote:Bad ass! I am so stoked you got these! Was a hell of a deal for sure! Now you've got your ALL PG install :D
:lol: thx dude.
I think you pushed me over the edge on them 8) from your post in the auctions section.
very glad I did, so much better than the Clarions :-s .
Now I just need a nice updated headunit and I'm done.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

So for shits I graphed up your frequency response. Your box (including polyfill, woofer and port displacement) is actually tuned for 33Hz, which is not bad at all. It should play the loudest at 50Hz. Still, with those 15's I think you could benefit from a deeper tuning frequency, so you may want to consider extending your ports next time you are in there.

The blue line is your install as it is (with simulated cabin gain as the higher line), and the green line is assuming double the port length (4 x 16 inches). With the longer port, you gain near 3dB at 20Hz, while only losing 1dB in the middle range (50Hzish). This would make your subs play flat from 20Hz to 100Hz!

As for the other graphs,
Cone displacement: your woofers hit their excursion limits on 1500w at about 23hz, so you would want to set your subsonic a bit above that for now. With a longer port it won't happen until below 20Hz. Really this shouldn't be an issue in either box.

Vent velocity: around 35m/s is where ports start to sound chuffy. Yours is still what I would consider "safe", but as you can see the longer port should less possibility of audible noise.

Group delay: smaller number = tighter bass. I really dont like anything over 15ms for a ported box, which is when I find it gets too slow and boomy. Both of your boxes should be just fine in this regard. The Xmax is one tiiiight ass woofer!
Attachments
corey.gif
corey.gif (44.69 KiB) Viewed 14005 times
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

WOW!!! thx Stipud, Ya I gotta tune it for sure, gain setting,eqing etc. I tried to attach a 90 degree elbow to lengthen it but I bought the wrong attachment :oops: :idiot: and had no time to run back to the store. I may attempt to do this once it gets warmer out and i have more time.
I agree a longer port would be a benefit for these subs. After they were installed and i had sometime to give a listen today, I did notice that the tuning freq. on the BASS cube liked to be around 50Hz just like you had worked out, for it to add the most thump, with the old subs it was lower at around 39Hz. I really don't have the cube on all that much unless i want to get really rowdy :lol: . Only problem with adding a elbow is that it takes up a lotta room on the inside of the box. It may be worth it at some point to have a whole new box made as i know I may be able to go bigger on the backside of the box without losing anything trunk space wise 8) .
I also still have RSd 124's on my mind :whistle: as i really would like to see what these amps can do at 2ohm's :lol:
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Okay so i've ripped out the entire system and i'm gonna be redoing the subbox. I have acquired new sub's which I hope to be inching close to 150dB's, I'm not going to compete but just to say I can. I'm going to be investing in a HO alt. and possibly a couple of Kinetik batts. as I'll be running close to 3K. I'm also wondering if i should ditch the 35 farad Stinger cap? Any thoughts from the gallery on the cap? This will prolly not be done until mid August as the subs are waiting in California for me to bring back from my dad's place when the family and I go for a visit. i will also possibly be massaging/slamming 8's in the doors but not quite sure if the units are up to the task as i'm awaiting word on whether they are fully functioning as they should. just thought i would post some pic's of the enormous trunk i have. also will give me time to throw down some more deadener in places that were unaccessible from the last install in May 09. till later..... 8)
Attachments
fugly box but lasted 7 years and 4 kinds of subs.
fugly box but lasted 7 years and 4 kinds of subs.
DSCN4195.JPG (361.42 KiB) Viewed 13905 times
after all the weight removed prolly gained .6 in the 1/4 mile
after all the weight removed prolly gained .6 in the 1/4 mile
DSCN4193.JPG (400.28 KiB) Viewed 13905 times
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

im sure the car is much faster now.... :(
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Ok spent some of today putting the new box together, nothing is screwed or glued yet justa mockup to have a looksee. 1.7 cubes tuned at 35Hz
gonna house 2-12's.
On a side note the dog got after the frisbee :lol: he's such an aggressive player..... :lol:
Attachments
DSCN4210.JPG
DSCN4210.JPG (212.23 KiB) Viewed 13854 times
DSCN4212.JPG
DSCN4212.JPG (312.3 KiB) Viewed 13854 times
DSCN4213.JPG
DSCN4213.JPG (308.08 KiB) Viewed 13854 times
12voltjunky

Post by 12voltjunky »

please elaborate on the design of the enclosure
1- Zx 400 Ti
1- Ti 600.2
1- Ti 500.4 (resurrected by valeks1)
2- Ti 500.4
2- Ti 1000.2
2-Ti RMD, Lpl, PG 1/0 Ga
Ti 6.5 comps, Ti 5x7 coaxials
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

if you are going to include yer toes in a pick then get a pedicure(SP?) first.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

12voltjunky wrote:please elaborate on the design of the enclosure
what else do you need?
dam never saw the toe's :doh:
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

love it !!!gald you posted you frezbee looks just as good as i seen it...lol
can't wait to here it
2020 honda accord sport
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

ok so that box i started yesterday took a turn sideways and havin a huge headache just didn't want to complete it. read, i fucked up the corner wedge thingy and didn't want the hassle of redoing it.
so off i went to grab another sheet and build the box i should have in the first place. a lil larger(2.3 cubes per side) and tuned at 34Hz. kinda the same as my old tried and true one just a few slight diff's in the tune, bit larger, and a 1 1/2" face to support my new monster's. i'll post up some pic's later tonight.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

ok here's the days work from yesterday. after giving it some thought i'm gonna complete the first effort as it's all ready to be assembled except the corner wedges which were just 1/4" too big but narrowed the port from 1.5" to 1" which i'm thinking would have been a problem. gonna have someone cut me the correct size wedgey thing and redo(hint kg). i guess i just had to make something out of frustration and the second effort turned out well.
As far as other things going in, the addition of a Mechanical Man 270 amp propower alternator and soundstream ss8's for the doors in glassed enclosures are gonna be done this next month or so. here's some pic's of the boxes i'm making at the moment.
Attachments
DSCN4215.JPG
DSCN4215.JPG (408.61 KiB) Viewed 13793 times
after a lota cutting...
after a lota cutting...
DSCN4220.JPG (305.52 KiB) Viewed 13793 times
DSCN4216.JPG
DSCN4216.JPG (431.97 KiB) Viewed 13793 times
DSCN4217.JPG
DSCN4217.JPG (335.14 KiB) Viewed 13793 times
DSCN4217.JPG
DSCN4217.JPG (335.14 KiB) Viewed 13793 times
DSCN4219.JPG
DSCN4219.JPG (352.59 KiB) Viewed 13793 times
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

looks good Corey i will drop your new ss sub off tomorrow
what do you need cut? the box for the 12 looks great just finish it
call me when you get home tomorrow
mike
2020 honda accord sport
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

ok some progress on the box and pic's of my new DD3512e's they are badass subs :twisted: and can easily handle 2K Rms and 4500 burps if i wanna compete in SPL which i do not forsee. Not a great SQ sub of course but Meh I'm not worried ....I've been told they are a great mix of SPL and SQ. Box is gonna be tuned at 32Hz and is 2.35cu/ft after displacement per side. It's double baffled for 1.5 inch of thickness and was a tight squeeze into my trunk you can believe that. Was also dam near close to 175lb's. Also a new Mechanical man 270 Amp alternator and i'm gonna grab 2 Deka 9a34 batterie's for the trunk, I could go 9a31's but they are 75lb's each as opposed to 40 for the 34's, soooo I 'm already low down and wanna keep the car level and not be ridin dirty :lol: . I do not understand people who buy nice gear and then starve there electrical system with a stock alt. and crappy battery. Fine if ya run less than 1k Rms but i'm gonna be rockin around 3500 Rms :) any hoo just took a break and wanted to post this up.
Attachments
DSCN4469.JPG
DSCN4469.JPG (310.39 KiB) Viewed 13703 times
DSCN4470.JPG
DSCN4470.JPG (309.86 KiB) Viewed 13703 times
DSCN4465.JPG
DSCN4465.JPG (365.61 KiB) Viewed 13703 times
DSCN4474.JPG
DSCN4474.JPG (217.31 KiB) Viewed 13703 times
DSCN4475.JPG
DSCN4475.JPG (241.73 KiB) Viewed 13703 times
DSCN4467.JPG
DSCN4467.JPG (318.77 KiB) Viewed 13703 times
DSCN4468.JPG
DSCN4468.JPG (267.64 KiB) Viewed 13703 times
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

seen this in person looks great so far can't wait to here it
2020 honda accord sport
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

ok, managed to get it all in the car and making music.... no time for the batts and alternator but soon. It's untuned and finished somewhat after 9 hrs yesterday and 10 hrs today. man my fingers are sore from twisting wire and changing drill bits etc. I'll update the thread with pic's and such tomorrow or next day.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Ok well a couple of pic's of the finished box. i decided to flare the abs ports myself after doing some reading on another forum. i had the heat gun and a creal bowl plus time so i did a sample of the old ports from my last box voila worked well just takes a lil time as you do not want to heat to fast or you get a fold inside the port which is bad news and makes you toss the unit in garbage. they are not perfect by any means(the flares that is, but close enuf for me) but did for sure make a difference and there is absolutely no port noise to speak of. maybe a how to at some point when i got time if there is interest. the opening went from 4" to 5.5" from my flare work. I'm sure i could have gotten more but it seemed like enuf to me. I left some outside the box, the flare that is cause no one will really see it after the back seat is in. i could have made some sorta Mdf frame if aesthetic's were needed but for this application it was not. the ports are 4"x 13" long minus an inch or so on both ends cause you can not count the flare in your overall length when it comes to the desired tune so 4"x11ish" in 2.3cubes voila 32HZ or so .
i must say this is the best box i've personally made and puts my last effort to shame. got over 200 screws and a ton of glue used. front baffle is 1.5" thick, thing is nasty tight and is HEAVY fo' sure. I'm a total believer in flaring ports now, this box hits loooow down and has good punch. this is by far the loudest sub/amp setup i've personally heard. it's almost ridiculous how friggin loud it is with gains set moderately. my ears actually hurt after awhile :lol: I'm sold on DD for now. well now for a few pic's of last thurs. and friday.
I've got tomorrow and weds off so i can get a lot more done and just enjoy. maybe start to pretty it up and then tune some more.
Attachments
DSCN4490.JPG
DSCN4490.JPG (406.14 KiB) Viewed 13641 times
DSCN4483.JPG
DSCN4483.JPG (250.19 KiB) Viewed 13641 times
DSCN4481.JPG
DSCN4481.JPG (277.23 KiB) Viewed 13641 times
DSCN4480.JPG
DSCN4480.JPG (316.83 KiB) Viewed 13641 times
DSCN4479.JPG
DSCN4479.JPG (282.17 KiB) Viewed 13641 times
DSCN4478.JPG
DSCN4478.JPG (312.48 KiB) Viewed 13641 times
DSCN4477.JPG
DSCN4477.JPG (291.83 KiB) Viewed 13641 times
DSCN4476.JPG
DSCN4476.JPG (251.91 KiB) Viewed 13641 times
just so ya all know, i'm zip tying and taping the appropriate wires this time around!
just so ya all know, i'm zip tying and taping the appropriate wires this time around!
DSCN4491.JPG (434.14 KiB) Viewed 13641 times
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Right on man... DD makes some killer SPL subs, that's for sure. They would probably be my choice as well if I was half as into SPL as you are ;)

So you tried it both before and after flaring and noticed a large difference in output with the flares? That's pretty sweet, I didn't realize it would make an audible difference unless you were running way too small of a port size.

And holy F is that front baffle ever mental :shock: