s10 blazer install

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
bogart

s10 blazer install

Post by bogart »

Still have the visor pods to go but that will be a few yet before I open that can or worms.

I am just posting a few that I took with my ratty digital and will be having a good photo session with her soon for the old portfolio.

It sounds ok...way too much mid range...gonna start really tuning it this evening....everything is controlled via the dqs...all gain pots input and output are controlled through it...so I really don't have to get to the amps for anything...

the entire system is run full range, there are so many drivers that nothing is driven to distortion full range and each channel is eq'ed seperately. I really love the old qm three ways...sound great.

now that it is all together I figure there to be about 16 to 18 cuft left in the truck now so the spl levels in the cab are nice...nothing like feeling music in your spleen.

Once I got it in without doing anything but setting the system flat I played a comp disk and she ran accousticly around 144db...not to bad for a w7 and the w3's on 1500 rms. that was just for shits and giggles. I listened to Allen Parsons Project's " I robot" all the way thru and started playing with the eq alittle...the truck has real potential. I listened to tracy chapman and the some good ole mj from the pre molester era and was quite impressed. rta this evening and see just how flat i can get it....
Attachments
done 001.jpg
done 001.jpg (81.14 KiB) Viewed 9890 times
done 002.jpg
done 002.jpg (76.06 KiB) Viewed 9890 times
done 003.jpg
done 003.jpg (71.58 KiB) Viewed 9890 times
done 005.jpg
done 005.jpg (97.34 KiB) Viewed 9890 times
done 006.jpg
done 006.jpg (97.63 KiB) Viewed 9890 times
done 007.jpg
done 007.jpg (64.83 KiB) Viewed 9890 times
done 009.jpg
done 009.jpg (81 KiB) Viewed 9890 times
done 011.jpg
done 011.jpg (56.3 KiB) Viewed 9890 times
done 013.jpg
done 013.jpg (43.58 KiB) Viewed 9890 times
done 012.jpg
done 012.jpg (41.86 KiB) Viewed 9890 times
Last edited by bogart on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Shit that was quick.

Are the amps accessible at all? Mounted in drawers?
bogart

Post by bogart »

I can get my hand and wrist back there if I have to...but there really isn't a need. When the box is off of the top...4 lag bolts and about 12 screws...the lower assembly tilts far enough to do whatever needs to be...

I didn't feel comfortable making anything too easy for theft is an issue in the metro area and the tweekers are everywhere....as sits they would have to take the truck and it does have a decent alarm....but why make it easy so some dumb kid can get to it...

is there the meth issues up there that there are here stipud...it is bad down here...epidemic really
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

bogart
is there the meth issues up there that there are here stipud...it is bad down here...epidemic really
None of that at all over here, but everyone is on prescription pills :x :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Yes we've got tons of meth heads downtown. Fortunately Calgary has been paving over any semblance of culture downtown, so there's no reason to go there anyways.
bogart

Post by bogart »

sucks,,,why can't folks just blaze some chronic, mellow out and enjoy life and music...I hate hard drugs!!!
bogart

Post by bogart »

p town is working on it too...but it is to late and it is too big. You know if they took a few of the degenerates downtown and shot the fucks in the back of the head after they rip shit off or rape someone....people might stop to think...no jury...no questions...just a swift death...a lot of the shit would stop.

I've not been an angel my entire life but I believe firmly that if you tread upon the social values and dwell outside the contributing realm of society then there shouldn't be room for you to contaminate the value system. A parasite that leeches off of the contributing factors in society just helps to stall the natural momentum of progression and tends to encite chaos...so shoot em all and be done with it if you ask me
culzero

Post by culzero »

The finished install looks awesome. Once you get it on the RTA i bet it will sound amazing.
bogart

Post by bogart »

will let ya'll know this evening...there is blue neon throughout the truck too...she looks pretty at night...will get some pm picks when I can...guys at the car wash nearly shit :lol:
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Where do you like to place the mic for RTA work?
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
bogart

Post by bogart »

I have an adjustable stand for the drivers seat for mic n pink noise for tuning purposes...ussaually the mic would rest about an inch above the headrest in most cars....trucks tend to sit lower

If I am using the spl meter she goes caged in the kick as it would be in any isaca compitition....

I have an audiocontrol sa 3055 with everything but the big lighted db drag meter lights. It is what they are using at comps you've probably been too

honestly, the kick is gerenally lower then the dash in most street pounders as the sound rounds the car and the standing waves settle in the kick but that is what is legal in any class.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

Im not to keen on the xover networks in the doors, looks out of place.That is just my opinion ofcourse. I think the box with the amps looks SICK though 8) Very cool!
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

bogart wrote: If I am using the spl meter she goes caged in the kick as it would be in any isaca compitition....

honestly, the kick is gerenally lower then the dash in most street pounders as the sound rounds the car and the standing waves settle in the kick but that is what is legal in any class.
Have the rules changed since last year? I've never heard of mic/sensor placement in the kick?

This is copied and pasted from the official rules book for IASCA's IdbL as of 01-04-2009
SENSOR / MICROPHONE PLACEMENT GUIDELINES
The event judge/s must ensure that the measuring device height and orientation are absolutely consistent from vehicle to
vehicle. The measuring device must face towards the front of the vehicle at all times. The position is as follows for all measuring
devices used in IdBL competition; 4 inches up from the top of the dashboard and 12 inches over from the OEM passenger side
"A" pillar.
http://www.iasca.com/files/folders/full ... 20305.aspx

I know MECA and USACi was the same .. not sure bout Db Drag
Greg Kitching
bogart

Post by bogart »

I am refering strickly to db drags...I've run systems in 4 thus far and it was always in the kick kennel. I don't know much about sq...I use the rta from where the drivers head would be...not to compete...it is interesting that they would mic the dash for sq...but I've never been to sq comp as it doesn't exist here...db drags once or twice n the summer and that is that
culzero

Post by culzero »

From what I understand for USACi if you want to hold the State or World record then you must meter from the dash and car sealed up. If you are just going for points then you can have door open and mic in kick.
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

Ya, even DB Drag used to be on the dash the last time I saw one. Maybe 2 yrs ago? was the last time I hosted a Db Drag event. Anyway, IdbL is IASCA's SPL competition format. It's what took over after Wayne Harris broke off and made Db Drag a separate entity. 1998 I think. IASCA's SQ competition uses SPL only for tie breakers and is measured from the drivers seat in the same position as the RTA mic.

I can just imagine the bickering between draggers and Idbl'ers over SPL numbers now if they are measured in different locations. Doesn't make sense why they would do that.
Greg Kitching
bogart

Post by bogart »

I'm not to sure of all the rules...I should look it up. I spent some time with the owner trying to flatten it out and the front and rear stage are reacting to one another in very odd way...rear ten db down an 21.5 and if u fade it the front is way up...

personally, I think he ought to toggle the w7 and not run all drivers full pass...a good x over would enable us to cut the diferences...but it would need like 5 channels...7 if both subs are in the network

it sounds great...a wee bit on the boomie side...w7....I like the boom but the owner..dave isn't so much into it. it is loud...very very loud and pretty...flat is going to be an issue...but not one that can't be resolved
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

Sounds like u have some cancellation going on. And I'm with you, inserting some x-overs would help control things and toggling the different subs maybe for different sound settings (ie SQ vs SPL). It's nice to have all the EQ capabilities but that's the last thing you should use for tuning. Getting the gain structure, phase and x-over points/slopes setup first, then correct whats needed with the eq after all else can be done. I don't envy you there! It makes my head spin thinking of how much time would be needed to do that with all thats going on in there. And I wouldn't worry so much about having a 'flat' response curve. Flat systems are dull and lifeless.

But in the end there's only so much you can do when you don't do the initial design. You did good work on the install and that's what was asked of you ... the sound is gonna be what it is. Tuning can take as long or longer then the install in some circumstances and that's time that costs money too! I used to charge just as much hourly for tuning as I did install. Especially if I didn't do the design. Some people don't like to hear that but time is time. Whether you're fabricating or sitting in the vehicle flippin switches.
Greg Kitching
bogart

Post by bogart »

I hear that, this one the owner is doing the bulk of the tuning. Thanks for the positive feedback on it. It is gonna take time and it needs work...but it is a start. I really want to start mine now!!! I believe we are gonna db drag steves truck n my drive today so the tuning frustration will be dulled a bit by big meter success
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

Cool! Let us know what kind of numbers you guys put up!
Greg Kitching
bogart

Post by bogart »

numbers are in...she ran 149.6 metered in the kick and 146 on the dash mic reversed. It was just railed and I am not sure how to get another friggn one db out of her...ran the center at 45 hz and cut it off at 35 and 55, just what she had to give,,,I'm not disappointed....but it would be nice to run a legal 150db on a single 12 with a stock electrical system....it is louder then my solo x's were on an a4kdn at one ohm.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

why are you using different subwoofers? Are the 4 w3s and the w7 both playing the same feq. range? If so your having mass amounts of cancellation problems which will kill your SPL numbers.

to be honest you might get better numbers by taking the w7 out of the picture. Also the way the w3s are set up not all on the same face are hurting your SPL numbers as well.
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
bogart

Post by bogart »

the w7 is toggled, the w3s are the accoustic drivers and as with any true spl system....all but the driven drivers are switched off for spl...the w3 are not in the spl picture.

It is really just a fun project....the owner is happy with it as this is how he wanted it. I doubt that the truck will ever see any compitition