Looking for pics of a Saab car back in 98ish, Slam Jam times

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
Virtue

Looking for pics of a Saab car back in 98ish, Slam Jam times

Post by Virtue »

Does anyone have any pictures of a Saab 900 Turbo car from way back in 1998ish times with 8, 15" subs in it, from up here in Calgary, Alberta? That was my car and I have no pictures of it. I took pictures of it as I pulled it apart but none of them turned out... :( I did the Slam Jam Competitions... Just curious. Thanks.
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

8 15's? DAAAMN! :shock:

I agree... lets see some pics!

Good luck with your search!
MX2 Crossover
Sapphire 1.5x - Sold
Roadster66 #11 - Sold
(2) RSdC 102 10" Subwoofers - Sold
reallyxxxxxxloud

Post by reallyxxxxxxloud »

WOW ........................that all I have to say....
PIONEER-ODR RS-K1/C-100/C-200/RS-P50 X2/RS-P1/RS-M1
DIAMOND-AUDIO HEX 8" X2/HEX X4/D7-401 AMP X2/D7-402 X1/D7-152 AMP X1/D7-104 AMP X1
ETON 4-300/25HEX 4" X4
AUDIO-CONTROL EPIC-160
ECLPISE 10" X2 SW9102
PHOENIX-GOLD 12" CYCLONES X2
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

I did slamjam 98 in calgary with a suzuki swift 2 door with 8 jl 12's It placed 2nd I don't remember tha saab though.
Check my buyer/seller ratings http://phoenixphorum.com/gridracer-vt4548.html

I have more PG stuff than one guy ever needs.
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

I remeber the car the guy lived in the Parkland se of calgary he was running Dr. Crankinstien comp15" and had a son of and frank in the back
If I remeber right the car was green . I talked with him back than as I work at A&B sound and we had to send one of the 15" back for warrenty
he had alot of problem with the car as it was a turbo and the tranny could not handle the way he tried to drive it. alway broke on him. He was also a bigger guy
the subs were in the back seat as a w wall
stupid loud
that was the first time I had ever seen a Frank and son of in real life
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Damn and I thought I had the best Saab install :lol:
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

it was cool the back had like 5 gel cell battery and the frank and son of under a faulse floor. the back seat was gone and w shape behind the seat you didn't have 3inches till the point of the box touched the seat.
your is still cool tom and useable
the other was crazy over kill
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

with that many subs, I figured the passenger seat was removed as well as possibly the tranny.......
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

ttocs wrote:with that many subs, I figured the passenger seat was removed as well as possibly the tranny.......
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

stipud wrote:Damn and I thought I had the best Saab install :lol:
Sorry Tom, I seen the best SAAB install today in an old Turbo 900? I believe :hmm: Dude was from Van and it was his daughters car, he wanted us to install an oldskool A/D/S PQ10 and some old A/D/S co axes in the back, he bought a deck and some Hertz for the front speakers. We did not install the amp because there was a HUGE POOL OF WATER under the front seat and into the left passengers foot well :shock: So we told him to get the LAKE sitch sorted out and then come back to see us!! The PQ10 was actually in good shape(I wanted to take it home with me :-$ ) Oh the rear A/D/S where blown :roll:
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

You seriously think that's better than my install? Bummer. :lol:
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

stipud wrote:You seriously think that's better than my install? Bummer. :lol:
This one edged you out because of the completely trashed leather seats :lol:
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

Wow there are some old timers here :clap: Some of you do remember my car! Here is some good reading, enjoy:

I'll explain more about it since I have no pictures... I drove a 1985 Saab 900 Turbo. 4 doors and it was grey. Tinted windows of course. When you opened the back doors, all you saw was a wall. Carpeted off nicely. Kind of funny to see the reactions of people when they opened the back door to get in... The back seat was removed and a giant box was built, from floor to ceiling, in a 'W' shape. Each 'V' was right behind each front seats. In there it housed 4, 15" Dr, Crankenstein subs. So 8, 15" subs in total. I think this was one of the only cars back then to have this many speakers in the consumer class in Canada. So of course, everything was finished off properly. Most large SPL vehicles were NOT finished off and looked like a hack job... still do... I ran MB Quart 3way up font with Musi-comp cross overs. Later, I added some pods behind the seats, in between the subs to help out with mid frequencies. They too were MB Quart co-axials and they were run through a Musi-comp crossover too. Now both 3 way and 2 way crossovers were mounted in the kick panels of the car, under covers. Under the passenger side floor mat was a PG EQ 230, under a finished off cover. Why? I didn't have any room in the trunk! In the center consul, behind a plexi glass cover, housed a TBA and an Epi-center. I also had a few switches for stuff like fans and things. In the trunk I had (1) Frank Amp'n Stein, (1) Son of Frank amp'n Stein, (2) MS-2125's. Now I had ALL equipment painted the same paint as the Frank. Black with pink and blue fleck. Even the EQ was the same color. All the amps were mounted upside down to see the guts of the amps, so, I needed to use fans to help with the cooling. Under the MS's, lied 4 Optma batteries and (4) 1.2 farad capacitors. To see the batteries, you had to lift the MS's up in the middle. Therefore, the (2) MS's were on hinges to do this. That was tough to do, but I got it to work. Now, I had the AX-403, ESP-2, and the PG Bass cube under a fold down ledge where the rear deck used to be. Right by the rear window. I had no other room to put this gear. Everything was wired up using 2 gauge wire and ZPA RCA cable which needed some special, crazy gold plated connectors, which were friggin expensive! The RCA wires were to thick to use the regular connectors... The MS-275 in the Son of Frank powered the rear fill and the MQ-430 in the Frank, was bridged to power my 3 way fronts. Remember, everything was finished off nicely with carpet... If you opened the trunk, it looked stock, just the floor was higher up, until you removed my panels that covered my amps and equipment. Inside, you couldn't tell until you saw the speakers behind the seats. Funny thing. I drove and parked this thing at SAIT for a year and I never had an alarm... That's how normal this car looked, except the dragging rear end from all the weight. LOL! I normally hit 149.6 dB, But when I ported my box, I was hitting 151.7 dB with a blown sub... In the first year of competing, I had the loudest car in Canada. Even beating the Pro cars. From then on, everyone was building their vehicle to beat mine. Remember everyone, subwoofers back then hardly moved, their XMAX were very little... I chose the Cranks because they had a larger Xmax. If I used the XS subs from PG, I would have hit louder. I even tried the Focal multi magnet 15"'s. Yah, EXPENSIVE! But it was quieter then my Cranks, but, if I had the proper box for them, LOOK OUT! Funny, I even competed in the sound quality competition and did quite well, even with all those subs! Cool story eh!

Oh yah, my head unit was a Clarion Pro Audio tape deck and a Pro Audio CD changer which was under my sub box, I had to put it outside the car to compete cause it always skipped! I still have the Clarion stuff...

Story with the Frank Amp'n Stein : (If I was told correctly), the first idea of putting 2 amps together under one chassis came from the guys at J & A
Stereo in Prince George, B.C. I also believe they came up with the name. That's where I bought my Frank Amp'n Stein. Before, I had a car and before I had a driver's license. No kidding. And I always wanted to work for PG when Larry Fredricks was the boss... :whistle:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Gotta love those C900's! Sounds like you had one hell of an install. Your story reminds me of my good friend nico boom's, who had a very similar car, install and story as yours (check out the memory lane thread in the installs area for his posts). His was an Opel Kadett but the layout sounds the same.

I've never seen an MS amp in person in a store. If you don't mind me asking, how much did your Frank set you back?

Welcome to the Phorum and thanks for sharing your story. Now we need to find some pics of it... I know how that feels, I lost all the pics of my previous install as well.
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

I'll definately have to post pics of thecar that I was there with you should remember it if you watched the event at all. It was an SPL car that was completely finished off very nice install and also did very well in SQ.
Check my buyer/seller ratings http://phoenixphorum.com/gridracer-vt4548.html

I have more PG stuff than one guy ever needs.
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

stipud wrote:
I've never seen an MS amp in person in a store. If you don't mind me asking, how much did your Frank set you back?.
I remember when I bought my MS2125 back in 1993. The amp was just like a dream come true, it was just amazing. They also had one Frank Amp'n Stein in that store.... THAT amp was the biggest thing ever.. I will never forget that.
stipud wrote: Welcome to the Phorum and thanks for sharing your story. Now we need to find some pics of it... I know how that feels, I lost all the pics of my previous install as well.
X2.... Seriously, you got to find some pics. Welcome to the Phorum..
Selling your Ti9 mids? PM me, please..

I also need a DD10...
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

If memory serves me, I paid $1278, tax in when I bought my Frank new... Got a steal of a deal on it!