My 87 Buick install

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
chicago-regal

My 87 Buick install

Post by chicago-regal »

Well here I go.. After about 10 years of driving around with just the factory sound system in my work car, im finally ready to continue the install on my 87 Turbo Regal. I started this install 6 years ago and lost interst after a marriage that went bad. So now im ready to brush off all that dust that has acumulated on my car. This is what I have at the moment..

-Eclipse Avn 7000
-Pg PLD1
-Pg EQ230
-Pg Base Cube
-PG AX-406A
-Pg ZX500 x 2
-Pg ZX450
-Boston Acoustic pro 6.53x
-Boston Acoustic pro 10"sub
-Eclipse subs x 2
-Pg 1 farad cap. x 3
-Pg groung block and power dist.block

Im still looking for 3 zx500s to buy to complete my amp collection and im seriously thinking about swithing the eclipse subs for a pair of Pg Ti Elite 12s. I will be running 0ga. wire from a Optima yellow top to two more Optimas in the trunk. Hope I can massage all this into the trunk without it looking too cluttered. Here are some pics.....
Attachments
phpnD6m8UPM.jpg
phpyHtKi3PM.jpg
phpsxVN1ePM.jpg
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: My 87 Buick install

Post by ttocs »

optima was the go-too brand for batts back then but they are not what they use to be.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
chicago-regal

Post by chicago-regal »

Here are some pictures of the install that I scanned,
remember that these are from 6 years ago, I will be picking up
where I left off which is the last picture.
Attachments
phppWVVLsPM.jpg
ScannedImage-16.jpg
ScannedImage-17.jpg
ScannedImage-18.jpg
ScannedImage-19.jpg
ScannedImage-20.jpg
ScannedImage-21.jpg
ScannedImage-22.jpg
ScannedImage-23.jpg
ScannedImage-24.jpg
ScannedImage-25.jpg
Lowcountrypsulion

Post by Lowcountrypsulion »

chicago-regal,

Awesome equipment! I would love an first generation EQ232. Should be an awesome installation.

Have a good one,

LowcountryPSULion
Ride: 1999 Honda Civic Si (Blue; complete, unmodified B16A2)
Source A: Alpine CDA 9884
Source B: Alpine CHA S604 (Circa 1997)
Line Driver: PG PLD-1
Equalizer: PG EQ215
Crossover A: PG AX406A w/LPL44
Crossover B: PG AX204A
Amplifier A: PG M44
Amplifier B: PG M25 Series II
Front Stage: MB Quart QSD 216 6 1/2" Q-Series Comps (the real German deal; not Maxxsonics)
Subwoofer: Rockford Fosgate Punch 12
Install: http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19590
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

gotta love the old Regals.
I would stay with the Eclipse subs as they were made by TC sounds and are very stout IMO.
Forget the caps and just use your extra battery's, I have Optimas and they work just fine for me., possible you may need a H.O. Alt as those A/B amps need alotta current if your gonna beat hard. I'm subscribed to this one, lets see the finish now :)
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
chicago-regal

Post by chicago-regal »

Well work has been really taking up a lot of my time, long hours and weekends. But im finally going to get moving on this install. Im expecting a pair of PG Ti Elites anytime now, I got them from Nutxo. And finally someone is selling the zx500's I need, i actually got one from ebay and the other two hopefully from Mark Hendrix, hope he's legit since he's a new seller on here.

So I was thinking about my fiberglass sub enclosure that I origionally built for the Eclipse subs, I built it
bigger than it needed to be, figured I could just add some wood in it to reduce the air space if it was too much. Now I was wondering if the Ti Elites would work fine in there. If the airspace is not enough would some polyfill work? Hopefully the Ti's will arrive tomorrow.

Now for the amps.. I know what u guys are going to say about this but im gonna do it anyways. I researched this alot and I know what might happen if I do this wrong. I am going to be runnig two ZX500's to each sub, thats right, one amp to each voice coil. I know that it might not be enough power to max out these subs, but it doesnt matter. Im just going to make sure that the gains and all crossovers are adjusted the same.

So my plan for the install is to add to the amp rack to acomodate all 6 amps, I want it to be sort of like a pyramid with three amps in the back then two and one. Went to homedepot the other day and bought some welding wire for the welder but forgot to get some square tubing. I'll pick some up this weekend.

My plan for my front stage is to build some kickpanels for the boston acoustic 3 ways, I want the tweeter and the 4 inch in the kicks and the 6 inch in the door. Im also going to build a fiberglass enclosure up under the dash on the passenger side right by the glove box for the 10 inch boston sub.

So my zx450 will run the 3 ways, one zx500 will power the 10 inch and the other four zx500's will be powering the Ti elites..Im looking at buying a stinger 200 amp alternater and a few batteries, Im still waiting for some techflex that I ordered from parts express, I already have all PG rca's and PG 4gauge power wire, and 12 gauge speaker wire. Im gonna use 0 gauge welding wire from my front battery to the back, just need a couple more little things like heat shrink tubing and zip ties and im ready to go..

Please feel free to comment and make any suggestions, thanx
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

1.3 cubes sealed is about ideal for those puppies. Anything smaller and you should add 1lb/sqft of polyfill.

Running one amp per coil is totally fine. I will say though with that much class A/B power, and with those ZX500's running bridged at 2 ohms instead of at 4, you will be drawing a metric assload of current. You are going to need a damn good alternator and batteries to give them the juice they will need.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

stipud wrote:1.3 cubes sealed is about ideal for those puppies. Anything smaller and you should add 1lb/sqft of polyfill.

Running one amp per coil is totally fine. I will say though with that much class A/B power, and with those ZX500's running bridged at 2 ohms instead of at 4, you will be drawing a metric assload of current. You are going to need a damn good alternator and batteries to give them the juice they will need.
Each coil on the Elite's are 4 ohm correct? Each ZX500 would be bridged to an individual 4 ohm coil?
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

dwnrodeo wrote:Each coil on the Elite's are 4 ohm correct? Each ZX500 would be bridged to an individual 4 ohm coil?
Derrr sorry I was confused, they are dual 3's, but advertised as 4 ohm if I recall correctly. Either way that's a lot of current draw, but certainly less worse than running them at 2 ohms.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Ya like stipud says you are gonna need a lotta juice.... way more than a 200 amp alternator can provide.
I would say go with a DC power or Mechman, they can be had at 270 amps and higher. I would say 2, maybe 3 group 31 batts will be in order.
Running 2 amps to each sub is fine and should present no real issue's other than the setup, which only involves just time and proper care with attention to detail in regards to tuning so they are both the same.

Now I gotta say I do admire your wanting to run that many ZX amps, but I really think those subs will be really underpowered and will not put out what they truly do best, which is the ultra low beats, this requires a lotta voltage/current. A monster Class D at 1ohm would be better IMO. Ummmm like say Sundown 4500, a DC Audio 4.5k or any of the big power amps from a good company that you may be into, then those elites would absolutely rail. Purely just given my opinion here. In my setup my 1200RMS subs, (which the Elites are as well) are wanting more and the RSd's are giving them close to 1400RMS so i know they will want more too. You could still run the ZX amps upfront and have beautiful SQ as that is where those ZX's truly distance themselves from other oldschool amps. i loved my 450 and ran it for a long time. GL with the install I'll stay tuned in for this one. One more thing with all that weight you may need airbags in the back to keep her level :wink:
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
chicago-regal

Post by chicago-regal »

Here it is, seems like it took forever to get this, and thats not the bad part. I only
received one. Went to the post office three times and had to beg and plead just to get
them to check the back for the box. Might not ever use USPS again. Hope I receive the
second one soon.

My first impression was "wow", its double the size of my eclipse subs. The funny thing is I was
expecting a new car smell, but I was way off.. Anyways, thanks Nutxo they are amazing....
Attachments
Ti2.jpg
Ti.jpg
holmis

Post by holmis »

chicago-regal wrote: My first impression was "wow", its double the size of my eclipse subs. The funny thing is I was
expecting a new car smell, but I was way off.. Anyways, thanks Nutxo they are amazing....

I Would`t have those big magnet so close to your computer..... they can wipe your harddrive in seconds.....

Nice gadget !! HUGE :shock:
Old School PG Fan/Collector & Jeep fanatic...
Madman in a nuclear mode!!
2x FAS, 3xReactor, MS275, MS2125, M25, M44, 2xMPS2240, ZX450, 3xZX350, 2xZX250, 8xPG Original Jacket, Box full of BassQube`s Xmax8,10,12, 2 sets of BostonAcoustics 6.5.3 + + +

My Buyer & Seller Ratings : http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15269
My CV Recone service: www.cerwinvega.multi2net.com
chicago-regal

Post by chicago-regal »

Good call, glad I have an external hard drive...
chicago-regal

Post by chicago-regal »

Stryker wrote:Ya like stipud says you are gonna need a lotta juice.... way more than a 200 amp alternator can provide.
I would say go with a DC power or Mechman, they can be had at 270 amps and higher.
I would say 2, maybe 3 group 31 batts will be in order.
Really?? Group 31 batteries is some serious juice. I have 6 of them im my other Buick.
As far as the suspension, I have Hodgkis lowering springs 2" in front 1"in the back,edelbrock shocks, and ur
right about all that extra weight, some air bags will help level it out.

Im really excited u guys dont think its a bad idea putting two amps on one sub
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

Hmmm,. I never even thought to smell em,... :-)
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

TRACKING SAYS THE OTHER SUB IS AT THE POST OFFICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

just hope that they have all the pieces...
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

ttocs wrote:just hope that they have all the pieces...

ACK, Bastard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT SAY THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didnt want to ship in the first place :idiot: :idiot: :idiot: :idiot: :idiot: :idiot: :idiot: :idiot: :idiot:
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

dude, You have the same comps as me, How wierd is that?
chicago-regal

Post by chicago-regal »

nutxo wrote:dude, You have the same comps as me, How wierd is that?
And now I have ur Ti Elites. :lol:
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

chicago-regal wrote:

Im cool with that :-) I had a guy showing off his hcca 10 on 3500 watts today and my 100 dollar sub was louder than his shit :-)
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

chicago-regal wrote:
OH!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you already grab the other from the post office?
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

woot, EFFIN A! Lets see the pics of the twins
chicago-regal

Post by chicago-regal »

Here they are....
Attachments
phpluXosMPM.jpg
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

not gonna be a light stereo. Hope the shocks are new or your gonna have a low rider.