PG Astra Australia Demo Car - 2013 - 159.5dB @ 41Hz

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
Phoenix Gold Oz

PG Astra Australia Demo Car - 2013 - 159.5dB @ 41Hz

Post by Phoenix Gold Oz »

Hi All,

James and Morgan suggested I hop on here and post up some progress pics of the demo vehicle we are building.

The plan is for 18x Ti212d4's in a parallel 6th Order BP Wall running off of 9x Ti1500.1 amplifiers with a fair few Ti65CS and Ti69CX speakers running off of the new SD500.4 amplifiers.

So here's some pics (I'll see how many we can attach per post LOL)

Last edited by Phoenix Gold Oz on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Phoenix Gold Oz

Re: Phoenix Gold Oz - Astra Demo Car

Didn't want to push my luck....more pics:

Phoenix Gold Oz

And...still more...

Phoenix Gold Oz

Some more....

Phoenix Gold Oz

And this brings us up to date so far:

Phoenix Gold Oz

OK so for those of you that made it this far...

- yes there was a story behind the Brick sitting ontop of the RoadKill and I guarantee it was funny at the time :P
- the yellow box we put in was just something so we had 'some' sound at one of our dealers shows over the weekend. This was running the Ti12d's off of a Ti1500.1 but we had a 6yo SPV44 battery that was causing us issues...still sounded good and LOW!!!

The build of this vehicle has a few limitations...
- we are not allowed to cut or weld anything (although we may snea in a few minor modifications)
- the vehicle must be completely drivable
- install must be fully removable and vehicle can be returned to stock in 2-3days (so basically building a modular box that can be disassembled easily - no boxes being build inside the car)

The goals for this build:
- we want to play MUSIC
- we want to play LOUD music
- subwoofer enclosure will be tuned at 33Hz rear and 66Hz front
- we want to hit mid 150's with music below 40Hz anything more is CAKE!!!

Hope you all enjoy the build, we're doing this on the weekends on our own time, so it's built with love by Bass Addicts!!! So far we have put in 5-1/2 days and this weekend we start the subwoofer box.

Stay Tuned!!!

Cheers,

Scott
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

Awesome built with a lot of work going into it :clap: Since u put all that into an Astar i guess u are not from the US. Where are u located? Never seen a license plate like that.
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Post by itchnertamatoa »

nice build ...
I'd say this is from downunder ...
[url=http://www.phoenixphorum.com][img]http://phoenixphorum.com/templates/Titanium/images/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

So the VIC is for Victoria? That would make sense.
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
Phoenix Gold Oz

Oops sorry guys should have given you some background on who we are and why we are building this vehicle.

I work for Stinger Australia, we have been the AAMP of America distributors here in Australia for over 16 years. As you all know in 2009 AAMP aquired Phoenix Gold and over the past 2 years Stinger Australia has been re-establishing the brand here in our market.

I recently came on-board with Stinger Australia and have been pushing hard to do something that will not only satisfy the car audio enthusiasts out there but also atract the attention of the general public. In our market the test-tone SPL competitions are dwindling in popularity, but Groundpunders are really making a comeback. I think this is because it makes things about MUSIC again, and both the enthusiasts and general public can more easily understand and appreciate when music is being played LOUD!!!

So here we are trying to build a mid 150dB Musical vehicle that works good for hair tricks, shirt tricks, bottle tricks, bail out videos and is generally a FUN vehicle!!!

Wish us luck we're hoping to have it ready to go in mid September...

Cheers,

Scott
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

not lookin too bad although the wiring could have been cleaner.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Phoenix Gold Oz

ttocs wrote:not lookin too bad although the wiring could have been cleaner.
LOL!!!

Yeah the wiring is pretty 'average' right now...we ran the wiring lengths to make it to the rear of the vehicle where the new amp rack will be located. We quickly and roughly coiled up the wiring and got it out of the way so we could have sound for the show over the weekend.

Once the box is installed and we start the amp racks we will be able to work on the final wiring routing. I suppose you didn't like the SD500.4's just randomly sitting on the floor mats either or the 'custom' black spray paint on the 1/2 complete door pods :P

Cheers,

Scott
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

the amp mounting didn't do much for me and I am still wondering about the 2 x 4 you are glueing in place..
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Phoenix Gold Oz

ttocs wrote:the amp mounting didn't do much for me and I am still wondering about the 2 x 4 you are glueing in place..
That happens to be a structural 2x4 I'll have you know and is within the guildelines for dB Drag, BassRace, IASCA, EMMA and most other sanctioning bodies LOL!!!

I thought you might like our custom green throw tarp interior as well, we are thinking of continuing this theme throughout the install...
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

Phoenix Gold Oz wrote:
ttocs wrote:the amp mounting didn't do much for me and I am still wondering about the 2 x 4 you are glueing in place..
That happens to be a structural 2x4 I'll have you know and is within the guildelines for dB Drag, BassRace, IASCA, EMMA and most other sanctioning bodies LOL!!!

I thought you might like our custom green throw tarp interior as well, we are thinking of continuing this theme throughout the install...
DONT LET HIM INFECT YOU....lol... Im lovin this install.....18 twelves!!!!!! KICKASS!!!!!!!
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
Damo95

Post by Damo95 »

About time you put the astra up here Scott!!

Can't wait to see the sub box evolve.. :)
Damo - Australian member..
Speakers: 3 way front - morel elate9 (in custom doors), Peerless HDS Exlusive 4" midrange (in kicks), Scanspeak 1" illuminator (in custom a-pillars)
Subwoofers: 3x Phoenix Gold Ti2 10d2 (in wheel well enclosure)
PG Ti amps: 2x Ti600.4 (front stage) + Ti2500.1 (sub duties)
Phoenix Gold Oz

Hi All,

Made a bit of progress this weekend...We got a final working design, it seems that the 6th Order setup was just going to be too hard and would have meant it needed to be built inside the vehicle. So we've opted for a 4th Order setup...we can get a better front to rear ratio and the modelled response curve looke very similar to the 6th Order all the way up to 61Hz...just have to wait and see what cabin gain does to it.

Anyway enough talk, here pics:

Scott
Phoenix Gold Oz

More pics from this weekend...

That's all for now...and busy for the next 2 weeks :( more build pics towards the middle of August)

Cheers,

Scott
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I love thorough build threads like this. Thanks for sharing. Awesome work! Cute kid! :D
Phoenix Gold Oz

stipud wrote:I love thorough build threads like this. Thanks for sharing. Awesome work! Cute kid! :D
I love finding threads with tons of pics too...it's the only way to get ideas and learn!

Burnaby huh? I grew up in Kamloops :P

Scott
66GTO-MS2125

Post by 66GTO-MS2125 »

i might be mistaken, but is that all plywood that is being used in the build???? :?
Phoenix Gold Oz

66GTO-MS2125 wrote:i might be mistaken, but is that all plywood that is being used in the build???? :?
You sir are correct...and totally agreed that there are other much better options, but for this build and the limitations that have been laid down by the people that sign the checks, we had to make some concessions...

Plywood is much lighter than MDF (or steel cages)...and as mentioned we had to come up with a way to maximise our limited vehicle volume and also keep the overall weight to a minimum. We will be cross-bracing and applying a coat of resin to the interior to help strengthen it marginally. As much as there will be losses due to the box materials, we are only chasing mid 150's with music so we 'should' be OK.

I personally have been involved in a number of large builds where we used Plywood with a lot of success (if care is taken with bracing):

- Cadence Ambulance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRcJ0-NKFSI
- Alpine Australia Ute:
http://www.toweraudio.com.au/html/alpin ... o_ute.html
- Cadence Divvy Van:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0N4S573lbc

So finger's crossed this one turns out good as well...

Cheers,

Scott
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I've had several baltic birch ply boxes that worked incredibly well. It's all in the build bracing and build quality. As an added benefit, it's much lighter as well!
Phoenix Gold Oz

Well we finally got back intot he garage this weekend!

Not a HUGE amount of visible progress but we now have the bottom section of the box all braced up and double walled. We also got the baffles cut but still need to router out all the holes then mount it to the box. After that it's time for a good coating of fibreglass resin.

So here's some pics:

Cheers,

Scott
Phoenix Gold Oz

Got a bit more done today. We started with a run to the hardware store for a new cordless drill and some supplies. Then we spent a couple hours cleaning up the garage and organising all the tools!

So after all that, we got the last of the bracing for the bottom box done. Then we cut the baffles and glued them together, so they should be all ready so we can router out the subwoofer holes first thing tomorrow.

So here's a few pics:

More tomorrow!

Scott