My Install

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
Drock

My Install

Post by Drock »

Finally got around to getting the alarm and starter with smart start installed today.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358985789.222972.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358985789.222972.jpg (90.27 KiB) Viewed 9183 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358985823.598372.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358985823.598372.jpg (77.41 KiB) Viewed 9183 times
The color remote is pretty sweet looking.
I also added the factory security integration module and a proximity sensor.

I got my new apillars and kick panels today as well. I will be starting to glass the pods this weekend.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: My Install

Post by ttocs »

prox sensors are cool right up till you park under a tree, have a nieghbor with a cat, park in the city, a REALLY hot day. Do yourself a favor and do NOT set it up too sensitive trust me...
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Drock

My Install

Post by Drock »

Thanks Scott, I know what you mean. I've installed more than a few of them. But I have gotten pretty good at setting them up. I leave my windows down a lot and almost always forget something sitting on the seat so I thought I'd throw it in. It was only like $40. And with these new systems and the smart start iPhone app it is simply a push of a button to deactivate if it gives me grief. Not like the old days of having to pull out the manual and constantly have to adjust programming.
Drock

My Install

Post by Drock »

My new favorite 3" speakers. They are digital designs new 3" mid. Along with a new set of elite tweeters. Wow, I haven't tried them out in the truck yet but they sound amazing in the new a-pillars sitting in the shop.
Drock

My Install

Post by Drock »

I took Eric's advise and moved the speakers lower and angled them towards middle as much as I can instead of firing into the glass and going high, or as I call it in your face.
Drock

My Install

Post by Drock »

Not sure if I posted this already but here's a pic of the elites installed. I will be pulling the elite.1 tomorrow and putting in the other elite.4. ( need more channels for now. No sub till I can get an elite.5. Need six Chanel's for the three way up front and two for rears. Maybe if I go back to my ti10's I could build a spot for a ti600.2 into the enclosure to run subs with.
I have not put the new 250 amp alt in yet so still running the 130amp and two batteries. After changing the ti amps out for the new elites, there is a huge difference in draw that's for sure. With two ti500.4 and 2 ti800.1 I rarely dropped below 14 v. Now when I tested the elite.1 And elite.4 tonight I was dropping to 12.5 volts very quickly. So some electrical changes are a must.
Last edited by Drock on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Drock wrote:Now when I tested the elite. And elite.4 tonight I was dropping to 12.5 volts very quickly. So some electrical changes are a must.
If you've got the 5.3L engine, this was what I was going to do before I lucked up on a used dual set up for my truck.

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/fit/2012~Che ... nator.html
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Drock

Post by Drock »

I have the 6 ltr engine. I've looked all over to find a duel alt kit but found nothing. Where did you get yours.? I would love that setup.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

The place that is doing my install had done a dual alternator set up in a 5.3L Tahoe last year. It turns out, the day after I finalized plans to do the upgrade in my 5.3L Silverado, the guy with the Tahoe came in and had them take everything out so he could trade in the vehicle. Good fortune seldom finds me like that.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Drock wrote:I have the 6 ltr engine. I've looked all over to find a duel alt kit but found nothing. Where did you get yours.? I would love that setup.
A quick search on that site and voila......

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/brackets-and ... ne=6.0L+V8

If it turns out you need a triple, they have a bracket for that too. https://www.dcpowerinc.com/fit/2001~GMC ... acket.html

(They also probably have a quad for your engine, but I didn't bother to look.)
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

not many people have a use for a dual alt set up. I would recommend looking at ambulances/cop cars to see if there are any kits made otherwise I would expect it to be a custom build thing
Drock

My Install

Post by Drock »

Nice thanks. Having both alt working would be great.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Finally got the backup camera installed this morning. My life just got a lot easier. Hooking up trailers 4-5 times a day sucked before this. Perfect hookup every time now.
It actually took longer to figure out how to get the image on the h/u than it did to install the camera.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I put one on the mustang for two reasons - my dog likes to lay in the driveway and sometimes and thinks we should go around her. I also back the mustang into the garage so that I can pull the pass side right up against the wall so there was plenty of room for the car next to it to open their door. Like you said it a lot easier with it. The lexus/Mercedes that has it also has a really cool feature where it will draw the path that the wheels will take if you keep going in that diredte
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

I am thinking about adding one to my truck just because the cap i plan on putting on it is an old school one with no side windows. With only little motorcycle mirrors to rely on, i am kind of paranoid about backing into something. I am the kind of guy who backs in everywhere i go.

Has anyone ever used the kind where the screen is in the rear view mirror? With the direction of my build keeping true to the mid 90's, i do not want any visible screens inside.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
Drock

My Install

Post by Drock »

Mine has the lines on it too. I think it's built into the h/u.
Also I pull a 20' trailer 90% of the time, so hooking up is perfect every time now.
Last edited by Drock on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Back up cameras are must haves on trucks, especially if you hook to trailers. Mine is installed in the tailgate latch, so it looks stock, and it displays on the DD HU screen. It's hard to back up using only the camera, but for lining up trailers it's great.
Drock

Post by Drock »

So I finally finished hooking up speakers in the doors and kicks a few minutes ago to the elite.4. I hooked this setup with and without the passive crossovers to see the difference. It is night and day. Without them I had to turn the amp gains down quit a bit. And the mids lit right up. So currently all speakers are active. I also got the processor installed and everything time aligned. I just put a singe DD12d4 in a spec enclosure just for testing purposes.
Every thing sound amazing. Very happy with the setup. Money well spent.
Now to keep working on the door panels.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Drock wrote:So I finally finished hooking up speakers in the doors and kicks a few minutes ago to the elite.4. I hooked this setup with and without the passive crossovers to see the difference. It is night and day. Without them I had to turn the amp gains down quit a bit. And the mids lit right up. So currently all speakers are active. I also got the processor installed and everything time aligned. I just put a singe DD12d4 in a spec enclosure just for testing purposes.
Every thing sound amazing. Very happy with the setup. Money well spent.
Now to keep working on the door panels.
What impedance are you driving the Elite.4 at? I imagine I'll be having to add mids later on, and I'm trying to decide if running at 2 ohm is viable or not.
Drock

Post by Drock »

I am running 2ohm load on all channels. I'm running two sets of ti6 up front for now till I can build the door panels then ill be changing it up to a three way
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Drock wrote:I am running 2ohm load on all channels. I'm running two sets of ti6 up front for now till I can build the door panels then ill be changing it up to a three way
Very cool. I was worried about how dropping to 2 ohm would effect the SQ, but I figured if any amp could do it well, it'd be that one.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Personally I've never been happier with the sq. now I just need to make it all look pretty. Then I will take pics.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

not many people could a-b a properly tuned system in 2 or 4 ohms and tell the difference. I mean if you keep the gain at the same point at 2 or 4 ohms then you might but again as long as the amp is tuned properly. If that were the case I would have assumed it would be common knowledge that everyone would know like running rca's and power down the same side. There is enough snake oil in this industry that if it were something that we could all hear we would all know about it already.

Tune at 2 ohms and crank it up but keep it clean.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

ttocs wrote:not many people could a-b a properly tuned system in 2 or 4 ohms and tell the difference. I mean if you keep the gain at the same point at 2 or 4 ohms then you might but again as long as the amp is tuned properly. If that were the case I would have assumed it would be common knowledge that everyone would know like running rca's and power down the same side. There is enough snake oil in this industry that if it were something that we could all hear we would all know about it already.

Tune at 2 ohms and crank it up but keep it clean.
Cool. I honestly have always run midrange amps at 4 ohm, so I've never messed with it. I always just bought another amp. The only reason I am considering it now is because I can't fit a third Elite amp in my truck.

But enough about mine, back to Drock's install......
Drock

Post by Drock »

Taking out the passive crossover was a very noticeable difference, no question about it. With the quality of the elite.4 and then tuning with the processor on top of that. There is no question about it there is a difference. The elite comps handle very well. And not saying I can tell a difference between 2 or 4 ohm. Either way as long as the signal is clean, gaurenteed the elite amp is awesome. I'm feeding max 2.8v to the amp ang gain are at about a quarter turn. Tweets are on front channels and mids on rear channels. I set the crossovers in the amp just enough to protect the tweets and mids from clipping at max volume. Then let the processor fine tune it from there.
Anyway long story short. I'm very happy with the results of this setup. It is very clear, bass is solid and will flex body panels and glass if I want to. With two sets of ti6 up front it's loud enough that you can't sit inside very long.