My Install

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: My Install

Post by ttocs »

that is the best and worst part of going with active cross overs is that they will not sound the same as before. With the right gear you should be able to shape the sound to your tastes. As to if that sounds good to everyone else? Its subjective and not important. The only other bad part, at least if you don't like that stuff, is that you will need to tweek it to get it to sound good/right/better then with the cross overs. Me being an (audio) tweeker its kinda fun for me to play with my stereo but some people do not have the time nor patients to do it.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Drock

Post by Drock »

I'm the same way. Always tweaking away. Lol. I actually picked up an audio control rta meter and the large led display. I would love to try it out, but unfortunately I don't low how to use it. I've never measured any system. I'd be curious what kind of spl I can get.
Drock

Post by Drock »

I have a weird problem that started after I put the processor in the other day. The system sounds great, but is now clipping the speakers at about half the volume I use to have it at. Any ideas? Maybe I need a better processor.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

What voltage is the signal coming out of the processor versus what it was before adding the processor?
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Drock

Post by Drock »

What's that program I've seen a few guys use to build boxes called.? I think it is one that's a web program. I'm thinking google something or other. I want to see if I can draw up an amp rack and enclosure. An idea popped into my head that might be better than putting my amps behind the back seat.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

WinISD is the one the pros use for acoustic measurement, but I was using Google Sketch Up for 3d modelling on mine.

I did a quick scan of the MS8's user manual, and the best I came up with was the volume balance between the HU and processor isn't set right. I think it's set too loud on one or the other, causing signal clipping. Page 44 in the troubleshooting section if you have your manual.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Honestly, you're probably better off pulling out that back seat, replace it with the seat out of a Yukon, cut out the back wall of the truck, put a solid shell cover over the bed, and turn it into a 3/4 ton Yukon. :lol:
Drock

Post by Drock »

Thanks. I was looking for it all morning but never found the manual. I'm also having a hard time figuring out the proper crossover points which is why I was trying to find it in the first place.
Thanks for the info on the program. I'll look them up. Is one easier to learn than the other?
Drock

Post by Drock »

What the difference with a Yukon seat.
I am trying to find a topper. Just haven't found one I like yet.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Lol. Or just buy a Yukon.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

LOL - The Yukon seat is free standing, where unless I am badly mistaken, the seat in your GMC truck hooks to the back wall, and the wall supports the seat back. It was a joke though........

Sketch Up is pretty easy to learn and use, and there are a bunch of tutorials on youtube. I more or less had the program mastered in an hour or two, but I'm a computer geek. Your results may vary.
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

I vote for the topper and walk through (cut out back wall). Cut it up! :mrgreen:

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
Drock

Post by Drock »

Not my truck but needed tunes to work on the garage, sooo
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

They say the Bose Wave Radio makes ample room filling sound, and sounds just like a much larger stereo system. It also has a clock in it. :D
Drock

Post by Drock »

Lol, I actually have the Bose system ant it does sound great. Also have a sonos system which I think is even better. But this system kicks ass. Already had two neighbors come over. I thought they were going to give me shit, but both commented on how good it sounded and wanted to check it out.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Drock wrote:Already had two neighbors come over. I thought they were going to give me shit, but both commented on how good it sounded and wanted to check it out.
Good thing they didn't ask you what time it was. :lol: :lol:

Had it been me though I would have been cleaning the garage, decided I needed music, spent an hour hooking all that up, and then forgot about cleaning and started flipping through my ipod while tuning and tweaking.
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

Drock, are those Knu Koncepts battery terminals?
Drock

Post by Drock »

zztunnell wrote:Drock, are those Knu Koncepts battery terminals?
Yes, they work good. I have a few of the pg ones, but saving them for the sound board.
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

Great to hear. ive been looking at those because of the compression fittings thats why I went with Monster distros also.
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

Those Elite's are damn sexy :drool: ...too bad mine's buried in the install. :twisted:
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
Drock

Post by Drock »

These are my backup amps. I have a set in the truck as well. I still want the .5 though for the trailer. I was going to use the ti's in there but decider to keep them for the sound board. After listening to the elites it's hard to go back. And I love the ti gear but the elite is so sweet
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Drock wrote:These are my backup amps. I have a set in the truck as well. I still want the .5 though for the trailer. I was going to use the ti's in there but decider to keep them for the sound board. After listening to the elites it's hard to go back. And I love the ti gear but the elite is so sweet
The Elites are the best amps Phoenix Gold has ever made. Some may think that statement is sacrilegious, but it is what it is.
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

^^^^ I agree110% 8) ...Love the old-skool PG stuff and always will :metal: , but after owning an Elite ...goin' backwards is not an option :no: . I see an Elite.4, .1 and 2 Elite12D's (2ohm version when available later this year) in my future. :metal: :twisted: :metal:
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
Drock

Post by Drock »

Elite 12d can't wait.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

Kirghiz wrote:
Drock wrote:These are my backup amps. I have a set in the truck as well. I still want the .5 though for the trailer. I was going to use the ti's in there but decider to keep them for the sound board. After listening to the elites it's hard to go back. And I love the ti gear but the elite is so sweet
The Elites are the best amps Phoenix Gold has ever made. Some may think that statement is sacrilegious, but it is what it is.
I agree myself. Short of the gold boards they really put some time/money into the parts/pieces.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.