2012 Chevy Silverado (Full Phoenix Gold Install)

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Pretty much every car I've ever had, had some sort of system in it, but about ten years ago I had to buy a truck, and that killed that. There just wasn't enough room, and so I got out of this hobby. Back around Thanksgiving I decided I was getting a new (as new as I'll buy anyway) truck, specifically a crew cab because it had the most space in it, and I decided that I was going to get back into car audio. I pretty much always loved the Phoenix Gold gear, and when I heard they came back under AAMP I researched them extensively and eventually took up residence on this forum. I decided that I was going to have this install professionally done because I work six days a week most of the time, and I basically live in my truck when working, so I couldn't have it in pieces for long stretches. I could have probably done it myself, but I just didn't want the aggravation. The nearest Phoenix Gold dealer to me however is two and a half hours away in Johnson City, TN, a company called Sound Decision. I took a day off in January and headed down to scope them out, see what kind of work they did, and that sort of thing. I met Chris, the shop owner, as well as Benny, Bubba, and Jimmy. I sort of quizzed Chris a bit, and I was satisfied that they were a quality shop and did good work. Benny, one of their fabricator/installers dropped this tome of a photo album on the counter in front of me of installs they'd done, Lamborghinis, vintage cars, hot rods, all fiberglass installs, dual motorized amp racks, basically showing me that they could do any install that I wanted them to do. Unfortunately I am not a millionaire and didn't want to go quite as over the top on the install as some folks would, but I was convinced that this was who I wanted doing mine. Here is their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/SOUND.DECISION.JC

I figured I was older now and didn’t really need something over the top loud, I just wanted it to sound good. Further, the nature of this vehicle is that you can’t have something that is god awful loud because you just don’t have that kind of space for a sub enclosure. Pretty much what everyone does in these trucks is put a pair of tens sealed or a single sub ported under the seat, so that is what I did. I had them put in a double din pioneer head unit, two sets of Elite.65 components in the front and rear doors, and ran those off of an Elite.5, using a single Ti2 10” sub ported. I also had them install an SPP1200 Stinger battery, do a big three upgrade, and put sound deadening in the doors. They also put in a Sirius/XM tuner, back up camera, Audiovox MTG flip down DVD screen in the ceiling in the back, and a Prestige alarm system with remote start.

It turned out very well for being a pretty basic install, and I thought they did a hell of a job on it for what it was. However, as it turned out, I am not as old as I seemed to think I was, and even though that Ti2 10” had amazing output for a single 10”, it wasn’t enough. I found myself driving it too hard at times, and turning the volume down to spare the sub at others. I looked inside myself and finally had to admit that bass is like cocaine to me, and accepted myself for what I was…….

….So less than two weeks after having that done, I called Chris back and said I want to upgrade the sub system, but I haven’t figured out how yet because I was out of space under the seat. He assured me that they could do pretty much whatever needed done and he’d work with me on it. I was so impressed with what the Ti2 10” sub in my first install did that at no point did I consider something else. Unfortunately I have to have the back seat in the vehicle for my daughter’s car seat, so removing the seat was out. I went back to researching what people had done in trucks, and whipped out a 3D modeling program to mock up boxes to see if various ideas would fit. I decided that I needed to raise the back seat an inch and a half, and if I did that, I had enough space to make an Elite.1 and Elite.4 amp fit, along with (4) Ti2 10” subs, but BARELY. I drew it up as a proof of concept and went back down to Sound Decision to see what they thought. Chris referred me to “Bubba” as they call him (I have no idea what his real name is), and he is the guy that designs most of their enclosures. He’s smarter than anyone I have ever met named “Bubba” for damn sure. He spent the better part of a day under my back seat taking measurements and determined that my model wouldn’t work, (I had them firing up) but if he moved the subs to fire out the front, it would work, though building that box would be an absolute nightmare because of all the angles that would be required, and the fact that being even a quarter inch off on it anywhere, and it wouldn’t fit under the seat. Another challenge, perhaps the biggest of all, was the fact that I lived so far away and couldn’t leave the truck there. I said, “Well, if it’ll work, let’s do it. Oh, by the way…..since there is going to be space on top over the subs, let’s put a plexiglass window there and light it up or something” lol (to paraphrase the conversation). I’m a sucker for lights. Also on the agenda for this was the fact that it basically HAD to have a grill because of the sub’s forward firing location, and of course I was going to need an alternator of some sort. As luck would have it, they had done a dual alternator install in a 5.3L Tahoe last year, and that guy had them pull everything out of his vehicle a few days after I was there so he could trade it in and buy something else, making that alternator something he no longer needed, and fit my truck perfectly. Chris brokered the deal and got me his used 300 amp alternator and bracket, and I was in business. It also came with an adjustable voltage regulator that allows me to dial up and down the voltage from 12 volts all the way up to 16+ if I wanted, but I keep it around 14.7 volts mostly. It’s pretty handy to have though. Chris had a local machine shop make custom brackets to raise the seat, and everything was in place. On my way out that day Benny showed me what they had done on another install with lighted glass and said he was going to do something similar to mine. We tossed around ideas, but in the end I left it up to him because I knew he knew what he was doing.

I went down last week so they could put in the alternator, raise the seat, and while the seat was out, go ahead and deaden the back wall and floor of the truck. Between that and what they did in the first install, really the only area that hasn’t been deadened at this point is the ceiling. Bubba took final measurements once the seat was raised to see exactly what space he had to work with, and he went to work. Yesterday I went down for “Phase 2” which was putting in the box, subs, and amps. Things took longer than I think everyone expected, and I didn’t leave there until about 10PM, getting home around 12:30. I’m going to go back in a couple weeks when I can find another day so they can tweak a few cosmetic things here and there, and make some adjustments. It was just too late to try and do what all needed done, and I had to be back for an appointment this morning. I’m well pleased with it though, and the sound quality is amazing. It isn’t the loudest system ever, but it’s plenty, and my bass addiction is sated. At least until my daughter is old enough to ride up front and I can take that seat out.

The subwoofer enclosure is sealed, and Bubba said there was just under 2.5 cubic feet of enclosure space in that box for the subs. The sealed “SQ” box size that Phoenix Gold recommends for that sub is 0.6 cubic feet including displacement, so really the box is just about spot on with the recommended SQ box size. A sealed SQ size box doesn’t get loud, certainly not like a ported box, but when you have 4 10” subs, and a clean 2800+ watts rms driving them, it gets loud enough, and the sound of the bass is really pitch perfect. On rock tracks it is very quick and punchy with no overhang. You don’t have that blending of notes that you sometimes hear on songs with a heavy double bass drum from bands like Five Finger Death Punch, Drowning Pool, and other bands like that. Each double bass drum strike has its own beginning and end before you hear the next drum beat. I have honestly never heard a system play songs with aggressive double bass drums as well as this one does. It also sounds great on dubstep tracks as well that have those long, very low bass notes. Being a sealed box, you aren’t going to hear it from blocks away, but even the very low end bass on the electronic music is reproduced very well in spite of the sealed enclosure which surprised me. The subs are still very much in their “break-in” phase since I have only had the system in there for about 24 hours at this point, and while it has gotten louder throughout the day, and will continue to do so for several weeks I expect, I don’t really expect that it will be a system that ever posts an impressive meter number. I was going for a great sound quality system that will get pretty loud, and that is exactly what I got. Last year I was on the front row to see Five Finger Death Punch, and this system is every bit that loud in the cabin, with MUCH better overall sound quality. I’ll gladly take that. You don’t really need something that is much louder than a live concert.

I can’t say enough good things about Chris and his team from Sound Decision. Sometimes the story isn’t what gear you put in a vehicle, it’s what vehicle you put the gear in, and getting two Elite amps and (4) 10” subs to fit under the back seat of a truck is no small task. To my knowledge no one has ever done that. I haven’t found anything on the internet that was similar using (4) or more 10” or larger subs in a truck of any kind that retained a functional back seat that can actually carry passengers without their head touching the ceiling, and without using bed space to house subwoofers. The closest I have seen was (4) 8’s, and that guy raised the seat so much it wasn’t usable. I was talking to Chris today, and he said it blew his Phoenix Gold rep’s mind that they got all that under this seat, and he was dying to see pictures. I guess the least I can do is take some pictures and email them down to them. It was so late last night that I got out of there that they didn’t get any pictures of the total install.

-Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS Head Unit
-Phoenix Gold Elite.4 Amplifier
-Phoenix Gold Elite.1 Amplifier
-Phoenix Gold Elite.65 Components (2 Sets)
-Phoenix Gold Ti210D4 Subwoofers (4)
-300 Amp Alternator with dual bracket and adjustable regulator
-Stinger SPP1200 Secondary Battery
-Audiovox MTG flip down video player/screen
-Prestige alarm system with remote start
DSC_0201.jpg
DSC_0202.jpg
DSC_0204.jpg
DSC_0205.jpg
DSC_0206.jpg
DSC_1105.jpg
DSC_1099.jpg
Back Up Camera
Back Up Camera
DSC_0209.jpg
DSC_0210.jpg
Lights Off
Lights Off
Lights On
Lights On
DSC_0214.jpg
DSC_0220.jpg
DSC_0221.jpg
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Kirghiz

Re: 2012 Chevy Silverado (Full Phoenix Gold Install)

Post by Kirghiz »

When I go back in a couple weeks I am going to get them to tweak on that subwoofer grill so that the side of the woofer surround isn't visible from the side. The side of the amp shelf needs covers made to clean up that wiring a little bit, and the plexiglass trim on top needs trimmed and secured a little bit better. It isn't a part of the enclosure seal or anything, it's just a cosmetic thing. They knew all of this needed done long before I noticed it. They just ran out of time. I unfortunately just didn't have another hour or two to hang around last night to get it done yesterday. Benny who had to cancel plans he had, and Bubba, who had to find child care to stay as late as he did, did it like total professionals, and I'm sure they would have stayed until 2AM if need be to get it done, and I appreciated the hell out of it. I don't mind having to go back a bit, because I know there was literally no way they could have completed it all in one day.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

I bet that thing has a TON of head room. Very cool!!!
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

I've been mindful of the subs breaking in when turning it up, but I really haven't felt like the subs were in any danger. The power from that alternator makes clipping pretty much non-existant, so the sound is real clean all the way up to as high as I've run it. I can't wait to hear what it'll do a month from now. :D

It vibrates the seats like a massage pad, and it doesn't just vibrate the mirrors, it actually moves them. By the end of certain songs the rear view mirror will be facing straight down. LOL
Drock

Post by Drock »

That is sweet. And it is so awesome to hear the great things these guys did for you. That's customer service done right. Usually all I here about is the bad jobs. It's nice to hear about the good ones.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Drock wrote:That is sweet. And it is so awesome to hear the great things these guys did for you. That's customer service done right. Usually all I here about is the bad jobs. It's nice to hear about the good ones.
Thanks Drock! I have heard a lot of horror stories as well, which was why I went down ahead of time to feel them out. I wasn't going to let just anyone work on a $35,000 vehicle. I am in sales, so I am generally pretty good at reading people, and after talking to Chris for an hour, and then talking to Benny later on that day, I knew that they were honest, and absolutely knew what they were doing in the field. When you see a $250,000 Lambo in their install book that they did a fiberglass install on, you pretty much know they can work on anything.

Any time someone is trying to make a living in something they enjoy, and do it honestly, I support the hell out of that and will remain loyal until I have reason not to be. That's just the way I am.
Drock

Post by Drock »

We don't have any shops around here I would go to. I called a few guys awhile ago, and to this day never even got a call back.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Honestly, there isn't anyone in my area that I would go to either. Most of those shops are just your run of the mill "Kenwood/MTX/Kicker" dealer that throws some subs in a prefab and lets it roll. They couldn't do anything remotely custom no matter how much money you threw at them. I've seen their work, and it isn't pretty. The best system I have seen in my area was a raised F-150 that had a wall of DD subs behind the seat. There is no DD dealer anywhere near me, so I know it wasn't done locally.

It's a two and a half hour drive for me to get to Sound Decision from home, so I don't consider that to be in my area. My next closest option for a Phoenix Gold dealer was High Point, NC, about three hours away. When i decided I was going with Phoenix Gold I knew I was driving a long way in some direction, and I was worried about how the logistics of getting the install done would work out. Chris at Sound Decision was more than willing to work with me with my travel situation, and that was a big deal.

For the first install I planned a trip to Pigeon Forge (a tourism/resort town 90 minutes passed Johnson City) around the install. I dropped it off Thursday morning, and they cleared their install schedule Thursday and Friday, and Saturday would have been used if needed in order to get my truck done before I came back Sunday. They actually finished it Friday night, and Chris met me with the truck halfway between Pigeon Forge and Johnson City on Saturday morning, and he had someone with him to take him back home, which allowed me to play with it for two days in the Smokies, which was absolutely cool as hell. All throughout my dealing with them they have been completely above and beyond in terms of customer service.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Your enclosure is very close to what mine looks like. My current box also has 4 subs but no amp rack. After seeing yours I'm wondering if I could do a similar design. I also am running an elite.1 And elite.4 with four ti10d4's. but I need a second elite.4 or I might do a .5. i have a few dd12's but no way to fit them.
Last edited by Drock on Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drock

Post by Drock »

I just noticed that they built you a grill cover. what is it made of? I pulled my box out just because the kids kept kicking the subs.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

The grill cover is basically (2) 12" x 24" chimney grates stapled to a piece of 1/2" MDF and covered with carpet. There is a lip over the subs on the enclosure that a lip on the grill fits under, and it basically just wedges under that lip and the weight of the box pins it to the floor keeping it snug. it's also very easy to remove, which is what I wanted. It's a very simple design, but it does the job, and hides the subs to the untrained eye.

I didn't have as much depth behind the seat as you i don't think, which is why my amps are underneath. There was no way to keep the amps clear of the seat with the way it moves in the folding action. The back of the seat pivots while folding, and actually on my model truck, it doesn't actually fold down from the factory. I think your 2001 has a back seat that folds up and down stock, which mine doesn't.

Did you port your 10's? Without the amps, and an inch and half raise I think i only had about 3.1 or 3.2 cu total of available space to work with as I recall. The Ti2's need about 1.75 per 10" ported, so the idea of porting more than one of anything was out of the question.
Drock

Post by Drock »

My box is ported 3"x13"x2. They port out the sides of the box towards the rear doors. My subs were placed identical to yours. As of yet the seat has not been lifted but soon will be. As is I managed to squeeze 4.8cuft under there. But my box is glassed to use up every nook and kranny available. I'd really like to fit a pair of my dd12's but I'm not sure I'm that creative. Especially since it is not recommended to put them in a sealed box. But after seeing your picks it's exactly what I wanted for my original setup but never considered placing the elite amps like that.
Also yes my seat lift up and down but the back does not move. So everytime I need to make a change the seat has to come out.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

when you lift the seat bottom, does the back raise up slightly and then drop back down when the seat bottom is locked upright? If so, it's just like mine, and what I'm about to tell you will make your month.

when you raise the seat an inch and a half, no more, no less, when you raise the seat bottom, about halfway up, the seat back will be at it's highest point in the folding action and the hooks on the seat will be clear from the brackets that hold it to the wall and you can fold it forward. When the seat is all the way up or all the way down it's locked and perfectly safe. You just have to make sure you hold the seat back against the wall and the hooks are secure before climbing onto the seat or you'll damage it.

I researched that extensively and was why I decided on an inch and a half as the amount to raise it. I wanted to put the amps back there originally, but the Elites were too thick. I could have gotten the new Ti2's back there since they're only 2" thick, but not the Elites because they're 2.6". It was that close. If I add any more amps at this point it's going to have to be Ti2's behind the seat, but I doubt I'll do that. If anything I'll add two more sets of comps up front and drop the Elite.4 To 2 ohm.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Thanks for the tip. I also did a lot of research on this problem. The fabrication shop I talked to has a CNC cutter and says he can make me new brackets. I am hoping to lift the seat 1-1/2"-2" but also out from back wall 2". This in theory I'm hoping will give me space to mount the amp vertically across the back wall. Should be able to get four of them back there then. Also should give me an extra cbft or so for enclosure .
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

seen some really neat box designs that used that little bit of space in the back as the port area and supposed to drop like no other...
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

The first box I had with a single 10" was ported out the back, running under the amp. The problem is that each 10" needs 1.75cu to run ported, and I only have about 3.1cu total after raising the seat, and before placing the amps, which isn't enough to even port a pair with decent SQ. I figured 4 sealed would easily match the output and then some of a single ported, even on the low end, and it actually does. i'm happy with it.

I was actually happy with the output i was getting from a single ported. I just couldn't run it the way I wanted because I was killing it, hence the upgrade. Now I am getting the output I want and then some, and they do it without endangering the health of the sub/s, and this setup does it much cleaner than it did with one ported. I have to say though, I like the sound of a sealed enclosure where many people don't, so it's a lot about preference. Granted, if I had 7 cu. to port those 4 subs I would have, but getting them to fit in 1/3 the space is handy too.

I didn't have a lot of choice in the matter though, so it is what it is.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Sweet.
Another option I was looking at was extending the enclosure in the center to the console. It could give another 1.5 cu ft or so.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Drock wrote:Sweet.
Another option I was looking at was extending the enclosure in the center to the console. It could give another 1.5 cu ft or so.
I mocked up something similar in the 3d modeling program at one point. The space between the middle two subs over the transmission hump is roughly 8" x 9". I brought it all the way out to the back of the center console, and then up until it was even with the top of the seat. Then I came up three inches and made a cup holder and tray on top of it to give it some sort of function for passengers.

It added about 1cu give or take. Bubba asked if he could do something similar if he needed to on this enclosure, but I didn't figure he needed to. It wasn't enough to port it, and too much to run sealed. If I decide later on to run 4 isobaric pairs vented, that would need about 3.5cu, and would require that cup holder thing. I figure the Elite1 at one ohm making 4100+ watts would run 8 subs nicely.........but with four subs being on the face of the box there'd be no foot room, so might just as well take the seat out and run all 8 in a basic vented box.

I thought about EVERY option on this thing. LOL
dako

Post by dako »

Nice setup!! I used to have a '95 Silverado back in the day, and it's actually pretty amazing what you can fit in the cab area. I used to have a set of Crystal Components (whatever happened to those guys?!) in the doors, and 2 Infinity Perfect 12" subs sealed in a custom enclosure under the rear bench seat. Two JBL Power amps: bp1200.1 (with a bass cube inline) and p180.2 powered everything. It was a basic setup, but man...Did it sound clean and authoritative.
2007 Scion Tc
Kenwood DDX9907XR
JL Audio TwK88
JL Audio HD900/5
Morel Virtus 602
IDQ12 V.4 D2 Sealed
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Thanks man! I'm making plans to head back down next week so they can clean up a few things they ran out of time to do, as well as put a bass cube in, and have a Roll-N-Lock bed cover put on. Tossing around the idea of putting a second set of Elite.65's in the front stage, but we'll have to see on that part.
Last edited by Kirghiz on Thu May 23, 2013 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Your in for a nice treat once that cube is installed.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Seeing as the box is sealed and I can't really put the amp to the subs in earnest because of that, I am maintaining very low expectations of what the bass cube will do for me. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed as it were. We'll see what it does.

Believe it or not I am more looking forward to having the Roll-N-Lock put on. A few weeks ago I had to suffer a 6 hour drive to the beach in the "Mommy wagon" because there wasn't anywhere to put luggage in my truck. The Roll-N-Lock bed cover will level that playing field and I can make the argument that we should take my truck on trips, yet still allow me to have full use of the bed. I haul furniture a lot, so a snap tonneau cover or solid cover that lifts half way up with hydraulics doesn't work for me. :twisted:

http://www.rollnlock.com/M-Series.aspx
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the BassCube. I have always run sealed boxes and i can say from experience, it makes a huge difference. Of course every song is different depending on the frequency but still, you wont go back.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

I recently had a PLD1 Line Driver fall into my lap during my quest for the bass cube. Long story if you didn't read about it elsewhere. At any rate, would it benefit me at all to put it between the HU and the Bass Cube, feeding the Elite.1 8 volts? The Head Unit already has 4 volt preouts, and I actually chose this Pioneer HU over another less expensive Pioneer HU for that reason. The Elite.1 has the levels turned way down already, and I think doubling the input voltage would just overload the subs.

I'm actually leaning toward selling it. Just curious if I can use it.
Drock

Post by Drock »

A line driver is not needed. You can get max power out of the elite with under 2v. It's just another device for noise to enter.