2013 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
vwdude

2013 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE

Post by vwdude »

Some people might remember my old build thread of my VW CC, well this will be a slightly different approach. I have already replaced the factory head unit with a Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX due to the built in eq, ta, and crossovers. I also needed navigation.

So this car is a daily driver. I drive almost 800 miles/week. Here is the order in which things matter:
1) MPG - 40 mpg ave so far, check
2) comfort - it's a camry, lots of space and comfort, check
3) stealthy install
4) audio
5) cool - not going to happen

Obviously this is not a "cool" car, so it must be last. I drive to sketchy neighborhoods so I can't advertise what's in the car.

The plan:
Source: Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX
Processing: see source, Phoenix Gold SLD-44 line driver
Highs: Dynaudio MD-100 (taken from my 3-way Dynaudio set)
Highs amp: Phoenix Gold ZPA0.3 (2 channel amp, active)
Mids: Dynaudio MW-160
Mids amp: Phoenix Gold ZPA0.3 (2 channel amps, active)
Sub: Eclipse SW8812 12" aluminum cone sub (I might try out my power HX2)
Sub amp: Phoenix Gold ZPA0.5

Wiring: knukonceptz 1/0 power, going to the Phoenix gold dist. block, to a DD5 and 4 gauge all amps. Ground will also be 4 gauge going to a PG ground block, to 1/0 to a good ground. RCAs are a Phoenix Gold, one is 2 channel the other is 4 channel. Speaker wire is 16 gauge sky high, run directly from the speaker locations to the trunk.

Fab work: I have started work on one tweeter pod. The tweeters will go into the factory location. I bought spare dash tweeter covers to fab up so I can keep a factory looking interior while I do the fab work.

The sub box will be fiberglassed into the left side trunk panel. The divot is about the right size for my 1 cuft sealed box. This way I can keep it somewhat stealth and keep my trunk space for work tools and baby gear.

The amp rack will go above the spare tire, where the styrofoam piece is that holds the jack. The way I see it, if i get a flat I'll have he spare, I just need to call a tow truck to change it. I'd rather not get dirty in work clothes anyway.

The DD5 and power/ground distribution will be built into the seat back on the drivers side. This part is not supposed to flip down because the hybrid gear is behind it but I'm installing a release as it does come down like a normal camry.

So no more boring stuff, on with the pictures...

Factory radio

When I tried the pioneer AVIC-6000nex

And now with the new AVIC-8000nex

I ran the new mic into the overhead console where the stock one was. What a pain. It's held up with just pull clips, so I spent lots of time trying to find hidden screws. Then when I got it down, it's sealed with the mic in there, so I drilled it out and secured the new one in place. Pics available upon demand.

So one major issue with the hybrids is the lack of sound damper. I used 1 bulk pack on dynamat extreme on the front doors and trunk before I ran out. I then ordered another bulk pack but I used on a friends car and he gave me second skin to pay me back. I think I like dynamat better. I only got pics of one door, I assure you that both front doors are done, the trunk, and under all carpet now. I have some second skin left but not enough for the rear doors so I need to order more. Then I'll do the roof.

Btw I got the in dr and outer skins of the doors, HUGE difference.

It's hard to see but the door speaker cutouts are 6x9 with an adaptor for a 6.5 speaker. I'm making mdf adaptors to fit my mids that will get resined and painted before install.

And here is tweeter pod number 1. It needs more filler and sanding but it's getting close.

And just some other random shots that I took...
Where the sub will go:

Amp rack layout:

Stay tuned for more updates. It'll be kind of slow as I work full time, have a2 year old, and a wife that also works. Plus this car is my only car right now so it needs to be operational when I'm done for the day.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
knightrider358

Re: 2013 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE

Post by knightrider358 »

Looking good man! I can tell ur ocd about ur installs, i love seeing installs like this!
Current 1 of 2 current installs

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Sub-3 JL 10w6v1ae's sealed
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Ha thanks. Yea I'm a bit OCD. I'm sure here people who are much crazier, for me it's all about function over form.
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

Lookin' good! Keep the install pics coming!
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Minor progress today,got e back doors damped. I used up my second skin, both layers covered.

And my power/signal gear. Not decided if i want to use my PG ZP power wire since I do t want to cut this 13' length.

quickrip

Post by quickrip »

That is gonna be one helluva work ride. Love the three zpa's.
Collection:
PG- m100
ms2125 (with shroud) ms275 ms250
zpa0.5
Xvr-2 crossover
bass cube (x3) & OG Elite 12D (x2)
Sony- xes-M3(x3) xes-M1 xm-7557
Diamond audio- d7104 d7056 d7402
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

it also might be one of the few installs you might be able to rate by how many MPG it costs you :)
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Haha thanks guys. Yes it might "cost" me mpg, but after all of the dynamat add I seem to have gained mpg. I was averaging just under 40 mpg, now I'm averaging just over 40. It's a minor change that could be accounted for by differences in destinations or other stuff. I do think it's safe to say that I did t loose mpg though, if anything it's the same. The added weight of the amps,, amp rack, and sub along with the added drain on the electrical system might make a difference.

More stuff came. I got a new in box PLD1 off eBay, more speaker wire from sky high, and some 1/0 power and ground plus 4 gauge ground from Knu. I did also get so,e 2 gauge PG wire but that's for the collection, not for use.

I also got started on the passenger side tweeter mount...

Oh and I found where I'm putting my line driver. The au some people at toyota gave me an access door in the back of the glove box. I'll trim the door to allow the cables through and the line driver will go in the glove box. That will give me easy access to adjust it while keeping it close to the head unit. I'll make sure,to add pictures of that in the next batch.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

not sure what is going on in that last pic. I mean is the tweeter in there? Will you be able to pull it out if you need too?
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

No tweeter. The ring and panel had grill cloth stretched over it. I then cut out where the tweeter goes and its press fit from the front.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

gotcha I was hoping that was the case. Now go clean the garage!
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Ha...we moved in not too long ago, still sorting out the furniture. I can't wait til that's all gone because then I get to turn part of the garage into a workshop.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Ok so update time. I'm back at the install after taking a slight detour to work on some other cars and expand my collection...

Speaker baffles are made from 3/4 cutting board plastic. I laughed when I first heard this idea, but it's super easy to work with and water won't distort it. Plus, I covered it in dynamat to eliminate any resonating and then painted it flat black so it won't be visible...

I also did a layer of MLV. This car is so noisy, even after all of the dynamat that I laid down.

And I started the amp rack. It's going over the spare tire. There will be some sort of a false floor built over this to protect and hide my install.
Renovatio

Post by Renovatio »

God start, vwdude ;) when the final result will be visible?
Sounds like music...
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Renovatio wrote:God start, vwdude ;) when the final result will be visible?
Thanks.

Haha I'm wondering the same thing. Now that I have wood I should be able to move more quickly on this.
quickrip

Post by quickrip »

Looking good. Did you notice a difference when the mlv was added to the doors compared to just the dynamat?
Collection:
PG- m100
zpa0.5
Xvr-2 crossover
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I did the MLV on the floor of my mustang and it made a huge difference.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

I noticed a difference for sure. I've done it now on 3 of the 4 doors, I'm leaving the drivers door for when I put in the mid. I need to do the floors still. Every time I drive I am reminded at how Toyota was so kind to leave out all sound deadening to help with weight reduction. Even with the dynamat on the floors I can hear my tires as if there's no floor to my car. It's so bad that I can't even used my Bluetooth if I'm traveling at freeway speeds.

The MLV in the doors maybe reduced it .5-1 dB. I will need a lot more to get to an acceptable level. Maybe it's my tires too , they used the low resistance tires, harder compound. When it's time to replace (next couple of months) noise levels will be a consideration.

Btw since I have a hybrid mpg is obviously important to me, I'm still averaging 38 mpg per month, with 2500-3000 miles driver per month.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Oh I forgot to update with pictures.

I started my power center. I had to decide between my DD5 and ZPD10

I decided on the DD5 because it fits better.
So then I started construction by removing the plastic backing to my back seat. Finally, something that Toyota did well for me...

Some trimming, run the wires in those canals, and a beauty cover and it'll be done.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

It's been a while, time for some updates...

Got the drivers door done.

vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Update time. The system has gone live. I might have blown my left tweeter with with a bad active crossover. Luckily I was able to swap it out with another crossover and everything works except that tweeter. I have days of tuning still but it already sounds pretty fantastic.

The inline fuse is only temporary as I'm planning to use my circuit breaker, I just didn't have 1/0 rings and didn't want to rig it.

It's nice to have so much extra gear. It's like working in a shop, if something doesn't work then I can just swap it out for another. :D

Factory ground location:

And sanded to metal...
quickrip

Post by quickrip »

Looking real nice in there David. I'm jealous of the clean looking PG wire. Looks great. I can only imagine how fantastic it will sound when the ZPA's start pumpin!
Collection:
PG- m100
zpa0.5
Xvr-2 crossover
Renovatio

Post by Renovatio »

One quick question, do you like thous type of fuse holders? They are not simple to change fuse as fuse holders with top open.
Sounds like music...
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Thanks Ben. It actually IS pumping right now and it sounds fantastic. No sub yet but there solve an amp update before the sub is added.

Yes I like this style fuse holder but I agree that it's not easy to change fuses. This is why I hope not to blown any of the fuses. Lol
Renovatio

Post by Renovatio »

I asked, because i had this type of fuse, and it was hard to hide near battery, so i used it for big 3 upgrade from alternator to battery. In my opinion the best fuse holder i have used was JL audio, much more options to run cables through :)
Sounds like music...