First fiberglass enclosure

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
Bchester6

First fiberglass enclosure

Post by Bchester6 »

With the help of my buddy, I was able to finish my first custom fiberglass enclosure. It was interesting but overall I am pretty pleased with the outcome. :pray: ... and yes it's wrapped in gator skin cuz it needed some flavor :lol:
Oh yeah, Boston Pro 12.5LF was the weapon of choice to match the 6.5LF's in the doors.
Attachments
0330150837 (1).jpg
0330150837 (1).jpg (48.15 KiB) Viewed 8596 times
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: First fiberglass enclosure

Post by ttocs »

welcome to the world of curves. Another dimension unlocked for installation. Looks good I assume is a gator/vinyl as I can't imagine the real stuff would stretch that well over the curves?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

Yes vinyl from Joann's house of fabric and the fact that it was on sale sold me as well :P
My first impression is that it definitely has slightly different acoustical characteristics than MDF or birch? May be just me being too picky and nothing that an EQ can't smooth out...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

if it was made thick enough or has enough bracing there should be little to no difference in the sound assuming airspace is correct. Have you put a sub in that general location facing that way in that car already to compare it too?
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

I have not but that's a great idea. All of my previous installs (all hatchbacks) have been rear facing... never gave that much thought but it makes sense and could account for the slight audible difference I do hear. It's not bad just different.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I was just wondering if you had compared it to another similar box to say its different. I have never done it myself.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

That looks fantastic, especially being your first. I ended up scrapping my first attempt and starting over.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

Like I said, I did have help from a knowledgeable friend.