Damo95's Ti-wagon

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
Damo95

Damo95's Ti-wagon

Post by Damo95 »

Hey guys, I thought it'd be about time I got a ride/install thread up..

I have a 2001 Holden Commodore wagon, which has an ecotec V6 (engine after the buick)..
It's rolling on 18x8" wheels and is lowered 40-50mm all round (40mm rear - Heavy duty super low springs & 50mm front - super low (kings) with shorened shocks..
I have also tinted the windows 20% on the 4 doors, and 5% on the rear sides and tailgate..

But for me, the car itself is only a transport for my audio systems.. I've been playing with stereos since my first car, and every car I've owned has had a stereo of some sort.. The wagon is up to it's 2nd full install with some enhancements (upgrades) to the original layout but it has remained the same for a few years now..
my dad dubbed this one my "separation install" as I ripped out my old install, changed a few things and completely redid it to how it is today when my ex-wife and i separated.. This install is far more practical than the previous one ever was..

My audio passion has evolved into running high end components that were worthy of the now non-existant sound quality competitions.. Only downside, I can't tune my car myself as I'm profoundly deaf in both ears.. But i love good sound and strive to build something that I can hear crystal clear sound and enjoy it at any volume.
Please note that the install itself was built by myself and my dad, but professionally trimmed by a mate of mine who is a motor trimmer.

so, the gear i'm currently running is as follows..
Source: Alpine CDA-9887
Processor: Alpine PXA-H701 (with RUX-C701 controller)
Front stage: 3 way active..
Midbass: Morel Elate 9 (9" midbass in custom doors)
Midrange: Peerless HDS Exlusive 4" (in custom kicks - but will soon be replaced with a pair of Audison Voce AV3.0)
Tweeter: Scanspeak D3004 Illuminator (1" soft dome tweeter - but will soon be replaced with a pair of Audison Voce AV1.1)
Subs: 3x Phoenix Gold Ti2 10d2 subs in a common 2.4cf sealed wheel well enclosure
Amps:
Phoenix Gold T1800.4 (2x - 1 powers the midranges and tweeters, while the other is bridged for the midbass)
Phoenix Gold Ti2500.1 powers the 3 subs feeding 1650wrms @1.33 ohm..

Custom work completed to the interior include:
- extensive sound deadening to doors, rear cargo area, and also roof (with layer of acoustic lining)
- custom moulded dash fascia for the 2 single din units with the alpine trims moulded in, painted black with a matte clear
- retrimmed steering wheel (black leather, black perforated leather & red stitching)
- retrimmed auto shifter (same as steering wheel)
- retrimmed handbrake handle (same as steering wheel)
- custom moulded lower doors to suit 9" midbass, retrimmed to match "factory" look with red suede inserts, which flow under the dash
- custom kick panels for the 4" midrange
- custom a-pillars to house tweeters (will be building another set shortly to house the voce mid/tweet combo)
- retrimmed rooflining in later model commodore material
- trimmed upper (cream plastic) pillars to match rooflining (all 12 pieces)
- complete interior lighting change to LED
- Dash cluster and all lights changed to blue/red led
- complete rear install in factory matching materials

so, onto some stereo pics?

This is the 2nd install in the wagon, and the next photos were the when I had the Tantrum amps (2x 600.4 & 1200.1).

Then I was offered a trio of the newer Ti amps which I couldn't pass up so the amp section was modified to fit the new (much longer) amps..

Front doors:

Custom under bonnet battery/wiring setup..
I have since replaced the D34YT with a BT as the YT died after 10 years of hard labour.. The front fuse is for the amps, the middle is my alternator charge wire and the last one runs my DD5 & accessories..

I don't have any pics of the custom kick panels or a-pillars on my laptop so i'll do those another time..

I also had all the globes in the dash/switches changed to Blue led's (with red warning, and have since changed to a "level 3" cluster with red needles).. The next photo was when I first got it one, before the custom fascia and other bits and pieces..

Custom dash fascia, with the 2 alpine trims moulded into the dash, painted satin black with a matte clear..

Last edited by Damo95 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damo - Australian member..
Speakers: 3 way front - morel elate9 (in custom doors), Peerless HDS Exlusive 4" midrange (in kicks), Scanspeak 1" illuminator (in custom a-pillars)
Subwoofers: 3x Phoenix Gold Ti2 10d2 (in wheel well enclosure)
PG Ti amps: 2x Ti600.4 (front stage) + Ti2500.1 (sub duties)
Damo95

Re: Damo95's Ti-wagon

Post by Damo95 »

I thought i'd now post some original install construction pics, as I know you guys would appreciate those!

wheel well sub enclosure:
6mm Mdf side panels with 4 layers of glass matting (with overlaps) to strengthen and seal it..

Locating the subs: I had always intended on running 3x 10's, in the formation of the Ti triangle.

Building up the side sections, which act as storage compartments.. The rails in the floor are factory Holden (from a later model wagon)..

Starting the cover panels for the subs/amps to fully conceal the rear stereo install:
The swiss cheese style holes allow the subbass to penetrate the floor.. I drive with this cover on every day and is great.. Lifted it up a little at the rear (create a "slot") and i got a 138.9db..

Main floor panel that is carpeted:

Boxed out the sub area:

Progress shot of installation after trimming:

Speakers: 3 way front - morel elate9 (in custom doors), Peerless HDS Exlusive 4" midrange (in kicks), Scanspeak 1" illuminator (in custom a-pillars)
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

Niccccccccccce ... :clap:
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
MR M.R.

Post by MR M.R. »

love everything about this car :D including all the bits that are now mine haha

1 thing, you wrote on the first boot photo that its the old install... technically just old amps but new setup... you should put up some photos of the actual old setup ;)
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

That is awesome. I wish that car was available here. I really like what you did with this install.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
Damo95

Post by Damo95 »

MR M.R. wrote:love everything about this car :D including all the bits that are now mine haha

1 thing, you wrote on the first boot photo that its the old install... technically just old amps but new setup... you should put up some photos of the actual old setup ;)
Oops... Yes, this install is the 2nd in the wagon, and by far my best yet..

The original install in the wagon had the 3 Tantrum amps (2x T600.4 & 1200.1) and an IDMAX.. The sub box was removable but was so heavy and clumbersome.. It was designed the way it was so it lined up with the 60/40 fold down rear seat with the amps on the drivers side (the 40 side) as it took up less room.. the amp rack itself was bolted down to the floor so it wasnt moving.. I didn't have any heat issues, but I still had a fan in the removable cover to pull the air out from the amp "enclosure"..
At one stage, i blew an idmax v3 apart (cone delaminated - user abuse) so i bought a PG Ti12 which did NOT like the ~1.4cf box so i bought another idmax..
DSCF0242 (Medium).JPG
DSCF0250 (Medium).JPG
DSCF0001 (Medium).JPG

I ended up doing some enhancements to that install with powdercoated (wineberry was the colour) frame that the amp boards sat in and a boston subwoofer grill on the idmax.. But then my marriage fell apart and I moved back to my parent's house.. the 2nd (latest) install was what my dad called my "separation install" as it kept me occupied and I was finally able to do the install i really wanted to do.. And it was a lot more practical!
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

Father knows best bro!! You certainly nailed it on the 2nd install. :clap: