MEMORY LANE -- Where did you start?

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
teamradrz1

Re: MEMORY LANE -- Where did you start?

Post by teamradrz1 »

thank god I don't have pictures of my first install 65 Malibu SS in high school late 80s with a 200W uniq amp and two Pioneer tower home speakers in the trunk :oops:

but soon I graduated from that to RF Punch amp and subs
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
99 Grand Am GT, Xenon & Ti
71 K5 Blazer, Ti Elite & Xenon
07 Avalanche (still stock, I think wife won)
JayGold

Post by JayGold »

I finally scanned the Polaroids.

This isn't exactly where I started but more like where I ended. This was taken back in 1996, installed in a 1995 Honda Civic EX. One of the 0.5's ran my 3-way front stage comprised of Canton Pullman's. Source was a 6-disc Nakamichi MB-100, crossover duties were split by a Linear Power XO-4 and a PLD-1 was pumping up the voltage. I actually won a local competition with this set-up.

These are the only pics I have of the system:

Three 10" Kicker Solobarics in individual sealed enclosures, half of the trunk still useable.

14 PG amps from M/MS/ZX/Ti/LE and counting....the addiction continues...
Drock

Post by Drock »

I did not own a camera when I started doing installs. Lol. I wish so bad I had some pics to post. I installed for many shops in Calgary, sounds around, visions, g&s audio, circuit city, future shop (the original one.) anyway I could never afford a nice system. So when I could finally get what I wanted I went all out. My first system consisted of a 86 jimmy 4x4, h/u was a Sony CDX-c910. Still I think the best deck Sony ever built. I had the mobile VCR under the seat and 7" screen which was installed in the dash were the factory center 5x7 was located. It was installed with a power antenna motor to lift the screen in and out of the dash. The rear tailgate was modded to countersink ( flush mount ) 2 alpine 3558 class a amplifiers. You could seriously cook an egg on those monsters. For a 4x40watt rms amp this thing was amazing. Each amp was running a pair of alpine 6062 comp sets. I sold my 3 way mbq's to buy them. Lol, for sub duty I had two alpine 3549's running 4 alpine 10" svc 6060's. and last was a really old alpine 3539 2 channel amp that seamed to have endless power running two 8" kicker solobarics hidden in a custom center console which also rocked a Super Nintendo. I also had an alpine graphic eq in there. I can't remember the model, something like 3134 I think. It had the hideaway unit and then the controller face you could mount anywhere.
Funny thing is when I was installing this system I was so excited I would stay up till all hours of the night. It took like a week to put it all together. On the last night I was so close to being done but needed a break. So I decided to walk to the corner store and grab a snack. It was about 12:30 am, I was gone for about 30 min tops. When I got back my heart felt like it was ripped out of me. Some fuck had gotten into the garage and ripped every thing off. It had started to rain just before i got back and there footprints still on the floor. I was so pissed. I closed up the garage and went to bed. The next morning I went out called the cops and started pulling out all the wire and putting shit back together. They just ripped everything apart. After about an hour I grab the bin of garbage to put out in the ally and I see this big bag. I think to myself what the fuck is this? I put the bin down and open the bag and there's all of my gear laying there in this frigging bag. I can't even begin to explain that feeling. My gut sank with unbelievable luck. I should have bought a lottery ticket that day.
Last edited by Drock on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Oh and that day I got an advance from soundsaround where I worked and bought the alpine 8081 alarm system with all the bells and whistles. It included a paging system and cell communicator. Lol. It was like $1400 back then
Drock

Post by Drock »

I thought it was cool I was the only guy that could call my car from anywhere and make the windows toll up and down. Lol, all from my 5 pound brick of a Motorola 8000 cell phone. At 18 people looked at me like I was a drug dealer on Miami vice.
Ahhh. Those were the days.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

those alarms were great when put with the cva 1000 deck the onscreen reporting and programming was something I wish modern systems still did.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
ICE-Xtra

Post by ICE-Xtra »

This was my first install in my car...
JVC in combination with GroundZero sub and speakers on a Sony Xplode radio/CD
This was around end of 2001 when i had this install

regards Henry Eibrink
http://www.ice-xtra.nl
Attachments
Looks rather neat at night, this was around 2001/2002
Looks rather neat at night, this was around 2001/2002
KOFFER3.JPG (50.65 KiB) Viewed 22289 times
One of my first installs around 2001/2002
One of my first installs around 2001/2002
KOFFER2.JPG (85.07 KiB) Viewed 22289 times
ICE-Xtra

Post by ICE-Xtra »

My project close after that in 2002 was with AudioBahn...
Due to money problems i never completly finished this install...
Loved the flamed subwoofers, speakers were a bit harsh and loud and we do love some more sound-quality here in Europe...
It was a pain in the ass to saw a those flames...
Attachments
I really shot it to dust...<br />Was with a SPL race, 2x 10&quot; in their own ported box at 139,6<br />One of them start burning and smoking
I really shot it to dust...
Was with a SPL race, 2x 10" in their own ported box at 139,6
One of them start burning and smoking
ab2.jpg (343.44 KiB) Viewed 22286 times
AudioBahn subwoofer blown to pieces
AudioBahn subwoofer blown to pieces
ab1.jpg (369.11 KiB) Viewed 22286 times
This was my car.<br />Hyundai Tiburon Turbulence, the only one in the Netherlands with the Veilside bodykit.<br />I start buileding the car in 1999 and sold it begin 2005
This was my car.
Hyundai Tiburon Turbulence, the only one in the Netherlands with the Veilside bodykit.
I start buileding the car in 1999 and sold it begin 2005
DSC00732.JPG
INTER4.JPG
INTER4.JPG (64.63 KiB) Viewed 22286 times
DSC01496.JPG
DSC01504.JPG
DSC02160.JPG
DSC02161.JPG
DSC02162.JPG
Backplate behind the rearseat
Backplate behind the rearseat
I hated that i couldn't finish this build
I hated that i couldn't finish this build
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

audiobahn speakers catching fire = irony :)
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
jammin

Post by jammin »

THis is from 1997 I ran a audio art 100hc and two autotek 66 amps and 4 kicker xpl 12s in a 89 mustang gt.
Attachments
1stang.jpg
1stang.jpg (19.19 KiB) Viewed 22197 times
Audio control 3.1, EQX II, MPS-2500 x2, PPI A404 x3, The rest is top secret.

Sponcered by http://www.hiscarparts.com
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

Ice,I always wondered how those Audiobahn's sounded. I have a new in box AW1206Q that been under my bed since like 2000. Been thinking bout pulling it out and throwing it in a box to listen to it.

If you don't count the 2 pioneer 12" home speakers I threw in the back seat of my moms Buick Le Sabre. The first system I installed in a car of my own was as follows:

'85 Dodge Charger
A Sanyo shaft style cassette deck.WITH auto search! I know big pimpin right,lol.
A set of Optimus 6.5" coaxs in doors.
An L.A. Sound Hermosa 150S.
Heres where it gets interesting. So I found this nice box build in Car Audio or Car Stereo Review (cant remember which). That used a 10" Kicker Competition sub in a,I want to say 2 cuft, ported fourth order bandpass box. The guy gave it great spl and sq reviews so I bought 2 10's and proceded to build 2 separate bandpass boxes for the Charger. This turned out to be an adventure as I was only 16 and these are what I chose to build as my first ever sub boxes. I went to the local lumber yard and bought 1(yes 1!)sheet of 5/8" particle board. The build suggested MDF. I didnt even know what MDF stood for back then. When I told the guy I wanted a sheet of 3/4"MDF he just gives me a look,kinda like a dog that hears a high pitched sound(arrrruugh).So I bought the particle board instead. Guess what? it wouldnt fit in the hatch of my Charger,so he cut it in half for me. Big mistake. Needless to say 6 trips to lumber supply and countless miss cuts later I was the PROUD owner of 2 very nice looking and well built bandpass boxes. Man did these puppies hit!! I loved those subs. I have never to this day heard 2 10" Kickers that sounded as good as these. After that build I spent the next 6-7 years trying to build anything that came close to the way those 10's sounded.
instro84

Post by instro84 »

dont have any pics but my firts system was in a 1988 isuzu imark turbo, i had a MB quart component set set in the doors and a 2 polk 8 inch subs in the trunk rank off a single mps2220 with custom crossovers designed by a buddy of mine chis from Bossier Louisiana installed by me. man i wish i still had that amp.
yeddy

Post by yeddy »

Holy I just came across some old pics of an old install of mine and I had to post them!!!! These were scans of real pictures, no digital cameras back in the day!

This install was done in the late '90s, when the JL w3 first came out.
Attachments
my pg 1.jpg
my pg 1.jpg (135.79 KiB) Viewed 21975 times
my pg 2.jpg
my pg 2.jpg (98.39 KiB) Viewed 21975 times
my pg 3.jpg
my pg 3.jpg (100.73 KiB) Viewed 21975 times
alpineaudio

Post by alpineaudio »

So here's my 2nd system done around 1993. It's really my 1st, as when I was putting together my 1st one before I was even done, someone broke into my car and stole that first system. Due to that, this ensued as well as an addition of an alarm to the car. I did all the install myself with some help in the wiring. He helped with all the RCA's as we did custom lengths on all pieces. For the gear:

The car is a 1983 Olds Cutlass Ciera
Head Unit: Alpine-7525
Changer: Alpine-5957
EQ: Phoenix Gold-EQ230
Sound Processor: Alpine-3342
Center Channel Processer: Audio Control-System 90 Model 11
Front Amp: Phoenix Gold-MS275
Rear Amp: Phoenix Gold-M25
Sub Amp: Phoenix Gold-MS275
Front Speakers: MB Quart-QM160TX with a extra 6.5" driver MQ Quart-328.01CX
Center Channel: MB Quart-QM100MX
Rear Speakers: MB Quart-QM160KNS
Sub: Alpine-6015 15" sub made by home audio company Gauss

I upgraded the alternator to a 160 amp one as the stock one just wouldn't cut it. All power, speaker and signal wire is Phoenix Gold. I ran 4g from the battery to the 1 farad cap in the trunk. When all the panels in the trunk were closed, you wouldn't see a thing. I still could even get to the spare tire even with a 3 cubic foot box for the sub. I did compete a bit with it getting a few 2nd and 5th place finishes in IASCA competitions.
Attachments
Your looking at the left side of the trunk and where my 1 farad Phoenix Gold cap is and my distribution network.
Your looking at the left side of the trunk and where my 1 farad Phoenix Gold cap is and my distribution network.
Scan_Pic0010.jpg (103.43 KiB) Viewed 21960 times
My three amps before they cover up all my laid out wiring.
My three amps before they cover up all my laid out wiring.
Scan_Pic0009.jpg (113.71 KiB) Viewed 21960 times
The amps sitting on plexi to show off my laid out wire.
The amps sitting on plexi to show off my laid out wire.
Scan_Pic0008.jpg (96.75 KiB) Viewed 21960 times
My sub behind my rear seat in a 3 cubic foot box
My sub behind my rear seat in a 3 cubic foot box
Scan_Pic0007.jpg (111.11 KiB) Viewed 21960 times
My doors with the added 6.5&quot;.
My doors with the added 6.5".
Scan_Pic0006.jpg (111.58 KiB) Viewed 21960 times
The doors and the cover on the speakers.
The doors and the cover on the speakers.
Scan_Pic0005.jpg (108.3 KiB) Viewed 21960 times
The changer hiding in my glove box.
The changer hiding in my glove box.
Scan_Pic0004.jpg (117.52 KiB) Viewed 21960 times
With the glove box door closed.
With the glove box door closed.
Scan_Pic0003.jpg (108.44 KiB) Viewed 21960 times
The sound processor stuffed in the visor.
The sound processor stuffed in the visor.
Scan_Pic0002.jpg (85.77 KiB) Viewed 21960 times
The sound processor controller covered up in my visor.
The sound processor controller covered up in my visor.
Scan_Pic0001.jpg (83.22 KiB) Viewed 21960 times
CK1991

Post by CK1991 »

heres my first install. This was 4? years ago...The kenwood radio in my van kept shutting down (which I now know was a speaker wire grounding out) and the factory speakers were 100% blown, so I improvised on the uuber cheap (and since I thought the electrical system was the problem, I didn't want to use my nice JVC flip face tape deck w/ remote CD changer so I dug out a crap clarion radio)
The funny thing is even with the low wattage of the system, it pounded pretty hard and my friends thought it sounded great (I just never cranked it up loud because the distortion was insane).
here's what I had
clarion 15 wrms x4 (lies!!!...it was super overrated) shaft radio
jensen 20x2 wrms mini amp. I ran it at 2 ohms on the rear components. You could have fried an egg on that sucker, but it never shut down.
kenwood midgrade 6.5 full ranges (they were like $100 or so a pair)
blaupunkt transparent series 3.5" full range
infinity 6.5" 2 ohm woofers in the back doors
I still have all this stuff stored away. I liked it all enough to take it out when I junked the van. I don't like it enough now to use any of it.
the kenwood that came in the van
the clarion radio
my amp (had to be careful to not burn my leg on it)- and yes, I ziptied it under the steering column. LOL
infinity woofers
and a lovely interior shot. Man that van was a POS
Pioneer keh9595 + deh80prs, Phoenix Gold xs6600 PG M10p, and some randon speakers in a van
Nils

Post by Nils »

I havent got any pics of my first install, but it all started in 1991 that's when the drooling on car audio began, in 1994 or 95 i bought my first car stereo system, the Components were: Denon DCT850 as a headunit Phoenix Gold MS275 for the front and a MS2125 for the subs. One AX204 an a 1,2farad Phoenix Gold cap, Phoenix Gold speaker, Power cable and Rca Front was Boston Acoustics PRO6.4 and 2 pcs of Boston Acoustics PRO12.4. This was mounted in my first car wich was a VW polo 1978Mod, With a 0.9L engine and 40 ponies :) an Orange of course

Thats my beginning :)
3x MPS2240
5x MPS2500
1x MS2250
1x MQ430 (white)
1x MQ430 (gray)
3x MS275 (white)
3x MS275 (gray)
ax406a
ax204
CK1991

Post by CK1991 »

Dang, could that VW even drive and play music at the same time?
Pioneer keh9595 + deh80prs, Phoenix Gold xs6600 PG M10p, and some randon speakers in a van
Nils

Post by Nils »

CK1991 wrote:Dang, could that VW even drive and play music at the same time?
It wasn't exactly a muscle car :) but none of my friends believed me when I told them hov little the"engine" was, because they said I drove it like it was a VR6... I have a history of a heavy right foot.... I had also a HO alternator with whooping 35 amps :) so I was only playing music when going downhill :D
3x MPS2240
5x MPS2500
1x MS2250
1x MQ430 (white)
1x MQ430 (gray)
3x MS275 (white)
3x MS275 (gray)
ax406a
ax204
ajaye

Post by ajaye »

I wish I had pics of mine. I had a 1993 Grand Cherokee, in 96 or so I bought a freshly back from PG w/ V2 upgrade ZX350 from a buddy for a good deal. Another buddy worked at Best Buy so he got me a Sony CDXC660 on his discount which was 50% off retail back then. Not a super high end player but that thing never, ever skipped. I put 6.5" Polk coaxes in all 4 doors running off the head unit with "bass blockers." I used the ZX350 to drive 2 base model Eclipse 12s in a chipboard box me and my dad built. The best part of the whole thing was the ridiculous snow leopard shag fabric I covered the box with. Since it was an SUV you saw the box in the back, and people loved that thing. LOL so cringeworthy now but I was 16. My brother ended rolling it a cpl years later while I was away at school, but fortunately my dad got the amp and the subs before leaving the jeep with a family friend at his salvage yard. Sold the subs/box but still have the amp which I'm about to use again for the first time since back then.
NOT 2 OLD YET

Post by NOT 2 OLD YET »

So here is how the story goes: Its 1990 Im 16 in High School, I have my 81 AMC Concord that I bought from Grandma. I picked up a Kenwood cassette deck and a Funky Power (yes that's the name) amp. This thing was about the size of 3 credit cards :roll: From some goofball hoodrat out of his locker for 25 bucks. Some Radio Shack 6x9s and Im rollin! I put it all in and it sucked!! I thought to myself I need bigger speakers, I know where I can get them. Mom and Dad are on vacation and its just me and my older brother at home. MMM Dads brand new Bose 901s will fit in the backseat. I was rockin it now :twisted: I get to school the next day just blairing this new system thinking I was the shit. I get called to the deans office around 1pm and they tell me that mine was one of several cars broken into in the student parking lot. YEPP you guessed it Dads Bose were gone! They were at least nice enough to leave the piece of shit Kenwood (with no knobs) in the dash. I got my ass kicked when dad got home! He sold my car with the Kenwood and Funky Power amp to replace his speakers. I got older and wiser (kind of) :liar: Years later I started a little install shop in Morris IL with my cousin Chuck (RIP) we did about 50 or so nice high line installs over the years. My favorite for myself install I did was in 98 or so. I just divorced the BITCH and I bought a 95 GMC xcab full sized pickup! It took a bit of time to get all my components together cause I wanted to do all PG! So here goes, starting with the Eclipse ECD-413 head unit, MPS2500 running 3 10" XS subs, MPS2240 running 2 6.5" component sets, 2 EQ215s, 2 1fared PowerFlow Caps, 2 way active Xover (cant remember the # :( all wiring, D-blocks ect. were PG also! :clap: Holy Shit that truck was loud! (Trying to find pics) Most of that system is gone now except for the EQs I have them in my truck now. I got remarried, kids are older now And I got the itch back! I still have a system in my new truck just not all PG :naughty: Wife wont let me touch her SHO so Im putting together a collection of old PG amps and designing a system for my 69 Mach 1 Build. Thanks to you guys here I am finding what I have been looking for! Corty cheers bro!
Collection And Still Growing:
M-100, 50,2,44s, and 25
RT 66 #0840, Outlaw#1005, Bandit#1884, MQ430
MS2125, MS275, MS 2250 W/shroud 3MPS2500, 2 MPS2240 Custom MPS4740
EQ215, EQ215ix,EQ 230 W/TBAt, ZX600TI, 400TI, TI500.4
2 PLD1, MX2, 2 Leather Team PG Jackets
TBA (Dealer Display Empty Guts)10'XS Subs
AX204, 406 (New In Box)
Eclipse ECD413 + DSP1001 , 2 JL 8W6
Installed: PG MPS2500 and Modified By PG MQ430
ZBB34TI With ZRDT3, and RMD
Audison Bit 10
PG Elite and Sapphire 6.5 Comps
JL 13TW5 subs
Corty75

Post by Corty75 »

NOT 2 OLD YET wrote:So here is how the story goes: Its 1990 Im 16 in High School, I have my 81 AMC Concord that I bought from Grandma. I picked up a Kenwood cassette deck and a Funky Power (yes that's the name) amp. This thing was about the size of 3 credit cards :roll: From some goofball hoodrat out of his locker for 25 bucks. Some Radio Shack 6x9s and Im rollin! I put it all in and it sucked!! I thought to myself I need bigger speakers, I know where I can get them. Mom and Dad are on vacation and its just me and my older brother at home. MMM Dads brand new Bose 901s will fit in the backseat. I was rockin it now :twisted: I get to school the next day just blairing this new system thinking I was the shit. I get called to the deans office around 1pm and they tell me that mine was one of several cars broken into in the student parking lot. YEPP you guessed it Dads Bose were gone! They were at least nice enough to leave the piece of shit Kenwood (with no knobs) in the dash. I got my ass kicked when dad got home! He sold my car with the Kenwood and Funky Power amp to replace his speakers. I got older and wiser (kind of) :liar: Years later I started a little install shop in Morris IL with my cousin Chuck (RIP) we did about 50 or so nice high line installs over the years. My favorite for myself install I did was in 98 or so. I just divorced the BITCH and I bought a 95 GMC xcab full sized pickup! It took a bit of time to get all my components together cause I wanted to do all PG! So here goes, starting with the Eclipse ECD-413 head unit, MPS2500 running 3 10" XS subs, MPS2240 running 2 6.5" component sets, 2 EQ215s, 2 1fared PowerFlow Caps, 2 way active Xover (cant remember the # :( all wiring, D-blocks ect. were PG also! :clap: Holy Shit that truck was loud! (Trying to find pics) Most of that system is gone now except for the EQs I have them in my truck now. I got remarried, kids are older now And I got the itch back! I still have a system in my new truck just not all PG :naughty: Wife wont let me touch her SHO so Im putting together a collection of old PG amps and designing a system for my 69 Mach 1 Build. Thanks to you guys here I am finding what I have been looking for! Corty cheers bro!

I hear you.. Let´s finish that dream of yours! :thumbs:

Then i´ll go back in time, and find MY build from 1998 in a Ford Cortina MKIII 1975.
MS 2250 and M44 amp´s!
And hold on now to your self..... The same f**CKING MID´S AND TWEET´S that are currently installed in my chevy now!!
Talk about taking care of the stuff... HUH!! :hurr:
6 Trophy´s in 2014 : 8 Trophy´s in 2015: :
EMMA AWARDED in 2014 and 2015

Frank Route´n Stein #0452 with Frank´d Distro ANL and Negative blocks
FAS #64
SOFA #64
Outlaw #1655
Titanium series MKI:
1000.2 x 3
600.2 x 2
500.4 Ti
12" TiD4 subs x 2