well twisted got bored sunday nite *updated*

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

well twisted got bored sunday nite *updated*

Post by twisted »

ok so i picked up a set of 6.5 rsd comps from t-sonka saturday and sunday about 10pm i got bored :lol:
this is in my 98 silverado
im using the rsd comps, my zx475ti and a x-max 10 i picked up from vin.
here is what i started sunday and worked on a little monday evening.
i have alot of work left to do on these pillar pods but hey i have nothin better to do LOL
let me know whatcha think, and im not sure i like the twist on trim bezel for the tweet so if you guys have any creative ideas on those to mak'em look better by all mean fire away.
i will post more pics as i progress.....may be slowley but i will get it done 8)
Last edited by twisted on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Nicely done. Are you wrapping them or painting?
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

thank you sir

i think since the truck is nothin special im just gonna paint them with the textured paint. anyone know where to get it at?
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

I can't wait to see the finished product. Nice job mang!
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

looks like a good start!

Bret
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

twisted wrote:thank you sir

i think since the truck is nothin special im just gonna paint them with the textured paint. anyone know where to get it at?
Autozone, Parts America, etc., etc. Pretty much anyone who sells SEM products.

Here's a tip for ya if you haven't finished with the bondo'ing yet. Get a 'cheeze grater' (also available at Autozone etc. $2 Look around the bondo and spreaders). Using one of those, while the bondo is still hardening will not only save a great deal of time sanding after the bondo's hardened, it also helps keep things straight and not lumpy/wavy. Also use a block for sanding to keep things straight. Don't use you hands alone until the 'shaping' part is done. Don't be fooled. DA sanders will cause waves too.
Greg Kitching
joyride

Post by joyride »

'cheese grater' = rasp. Just be careful with them, as they can remove a lot of material.

The panels look great. I have been searching for the paint that has a color/texture similar to the stock plastic, but couldnt find any. let me know if you do find it.
kg1961
Got wood?

install

Post by kg1961 »

looks great!!! keep it up with more pics!!
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

gkitching wrote:
twisted wrote:thank you sir

Autozone, Parts America, etc., etc. Pretty much anyone who sells SEM products.

Here's a tip for ya if you haven't finished with the bondo'ing yet. Get a 'cheeze grater' (also available at Autozone etc. $2 Look around the bondo and spreaders). Using one of those, while the bondo is still hardening will not only save a great deal of time sanding after the bondo's hardened, it also helps keep things straight and not lumpy/wavy. Also use a block for sanding to keep things straight. Don't use you hands alone until the 'shaping' part is done. Don't be fooled. DA sanders will cause waves too.

thanks for the tips.......ive tried the locale parts stores and nobody has the texture spray :(

joyride i will let you know when i find some :wink:
paulmichelsen

Post by paulmichelsen »

I used to buy it at a local Auto Paint Store, try using this:

http://semproducts.com/cms/Where+To+Buy/13.html
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

paulmichelsen wrote:I used to buy it at a local Auto Paint Store, try using this:

http://semproducts.com/cms/Where+To+Buy/13.html
thanks for the link but........ :(

Where To Buy - Results

Stores are listed by distance from your zip code. The closest stores are listed first.

Supplier Color Guide:
Color Coat
Color Horizons
Sure-Coat
Trim

Sorry, there are no SEM Suppliers in your area
paulmichelsen

Post by paulmichelsen »

twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

paulmichelsen wrote:How about this:

http://www.rwmallon.com/catalog.asp?pro ... prevnext=1
sweet :D thanks
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

the sem stuff works ok depending on the grain of the texture. I had problems matching the texture in my mustang and came up with my own way that has held up nicely. All you need is sprayable high-build primer and saw dust. Give a good coating of the primer, and then sprinkle the saw dust on top of it. You do not want to make a solid coating of dust on it you actually want to make small spots that almost touch. Once it dries hit it with a light sand paper(400 grit) to knock the top of the grains down and continue sanding until you are happy. If it has a smoother grain you can do another light coating of primer to smooth it out. Paint will of course stick to it wonderfully and it makes for a very durable texture. If you mess it up you can sand it smooth with a little work and try over.

The sem stuff you can only do so much with but this gives you more chance to vary it. If you need sawdust I fint a router makes dust the fastest. If you don't have one then try stopping by your local wood shop, they should have plenty.
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

here are the pics of the finished a pillars
here is one of the rsd 6.5 in the door

and the pretty basic install of the amp and sub box installed
i did it pretty basic because i am looking for a new truck so i figured whats the point if im going to move it all :lol:

so as soon as i find me a 01-05 2500hd crew cab i will be doing alot more :wink:
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

oh and i found spay on bed liner almost matches the grain of the interior plastic perfectly :lol: :wink:
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

Nice! And how do you like the sound?
Greg Kitching
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

gkitching wrote:Nice! And how do you like the sound?
sounds great.........but im lacking a little in the lowend dept. those rsd comps have a TON of midrange though :D
over all it sounds pretty nice, i think in the new truck i will try a rsdc 12 under the rear seat instaed of a xmax 10. with a little more power too.

i may change amps in the new truck as well....maybe pick up a couple ms amps like a 275 for fronts and a 2125 for sub duty.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Looks great Keith! Someday I'm gonna get the balls to try something like this in the FJ. :lol: :lol:
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
5.9Limited

Post by 5.9Limited »

nice work keith...I've actually been debating doing this in my jeep grand cherokee with my new set of RSdc's that I just picked up. your install is pushing me towards getting the nerve to do it :)
Is this where Im supposed to write something catchy??
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

Looks good man. I can see a couple of small dimples that looked like they would have been too small to fill with bondo but still needed a little attention. Take a look at autozone for glazing putty to fill these as it is a simple dab on and wait 30 mins. and then easily sand. This stuff sands much much much easier then bondo but use sparingly as it is also not as strong.
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

Look into using rage gold sands way easier and easier to fill spots. Glazing putty makes it even easier like ttocs said.
fordtough1
Twisted's Boyfriend

Post by fordtough1 »

Looks nice Keith.

Is it time for a new vehicle already? What's it been like a week or something? :lol: :lol:
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

5.9Limited wrote:nice work keith...I've actually been debating doing this in my jeep grand cherokee with my new set of RSdc's that I just picked up. your install is pushing me towards getting the nerve to do it :)
thanks for the kind words and the tips guys.
5.9 once you get started its all down hill bro!!!!! puting the tweets up in the pillars really raised the sound stage up alot! i'm very pleased with the sound results for sure.

and jeffy its been like a week and a half :lol:
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

mr tibbs wrote:Looks great Keith! Someday I'm gonna get the balls to try something like this in the FJ. :lol: :lol:
thanks bro.......doit! youll be glad you did!!!!