working back towards the octane

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

working back towards the octane

Post by ttocs »

I have been working my way back towards the amp(LE octane) to make sure that I have all the wires in place before I start on the rear cover. I powered up the sub section of the amp last week and was delited that the sub playes as well as it does in such a small space. I was so excited to find the RMD sticker that I thought I had lost that I decided to put it into use before I lost it again. I took an overhead center consol from an explorer and installed it in my ranger since they share the same general chassis. It has a temperature monitoring system as well as a slick place to put your garage door opener that gets it out of the way. I was able to put the RMD sticker just behind the garage door button, basically in the hinge that the door swings down on. IT worked out well as the wiring tucks out of the way of the garage remote and is not in the way of the hinge. IT also worked out well as the black on black almost makes it disappear. The digital temp read-out is actually reading the amplifiers temperature on the subwoofer side. The factory system uses a 10k thermistor(thermal resistor - the resistanc changes with temp) mounted up by the radiator to tell the outside temp but I mounted a thermistor to one of the fins of the heatsink on the subwoofer side when I replaced the leds. I ran a small speaker cable out of the side where it is not seen, and into a relay. The relay allows me to switch between the amplifier thermistor and an externally mounted one by using the momentary push button on the left side of the consol.
Last edited by ttocs on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

damn, nobody I know, knows how to re-size pics in vista........
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

use a program called irfanview its simple and has a pile of other options.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

go ahead and remove your picture in post above and use this one...
Attachments
dscf1388_135 (Medium).jpg
dscf1388_135 (Medium).jpg (38.34 KiB) Viewed 6495 times
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

That looks factory, I love it!
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

thanks for the help with the pics.

I am happy with how it came out as well. It is a little busy under the cover with the remote and the wires but I am still confident that it will hold up for a long time.

I took it out last night for a little while to test the temp monitoring. I jammed on it for about 35 mins while driving around and was happy to see the temp rise 15 degrees in this time. I was also suprised that when I cracked a window that the temp dropped 3 degrees in less then a minute. Too cool!!

I am hoping to start on the front speakers today by mounting and wiring the x-overs. Not sure if I will get the wires into the doos and mount them but it is possible if all goes well. I am going to put the componants in the factory locations with some baffles that will include an enclosure for the woofer. I'll try and learn to re-size pics and post them, otherwise you can check up on cardomain. There are some pics there of the start of the amp mounting, but it is the very beginning.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3237206
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

That temp probe is way too cool. Very nice work mounting the display as well.

I have never seen that display before... you called it the RMD? I believe the RMD is the voltage gauge, and the SDDP are the status LEDs (though they are typically 3 separate lights).

Cool piece nonetheless! I would love to get my hands on one.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

^ That display is the RDDP kit that has the tri-color led's. The one changes color with input voltage and the other changes color showing either ON, OVERLOAD, or THERMAL.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

RDDP, thats it. There is a main contoller in the back next to the amp with the same leds as well. Now out to do some work, I won't forget my camera
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

dwnrodeo wrote:^ That display is the RDDP kit that has the tri-color led's. The one changes color with input voltage and the other changes color showing either ON, OVERLOAD, or THERMAL.
Ah so it is an RDDP... I always thought those had separate lights, but I guess that was the "DIY" kit. Cool!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Can someone work some of that resizing magic for me again? I started to install the DD5 today and found a perfect place for it. I can post them on here or email if it is easier or better.
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

I really like what you figured out how to do with the digital temperature display. The 3 temp ranges on the RDDP are just vague enough to keep you guessing.

The RDDP/R-link systems were always confusing (even to me as a dealer) because they were so infrequently used and available from PG in several different configurations. Errin helped to straighten us all out on the subject and I added a few pics in this thread...

http://phoenixphorum.com/difference-bet ... hlight=sdt
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have more of the thermistors and want to experiment with them. If I am not mistaken the 10k version that I use is popular because with a standard ohm meter you can read temperatures with the impedence reading it gives.

The rddp and r-link stuff were strange to me as a dealer at the time. They kept telling us it was comming, it was comming, then the last thing I really heard was they would give you the schematics if you wanted to make one. When I got my LE octane and started dreaming of installing it I was suprised to see that they now made them for the Ti series.

Here was todays project. I didn't get the passenger airbag when I got my truck as it was a $400 option. I have been using the space for general electronics from relays to my serius tuner but always wanted to make it a sweet little display for something. I Found a DD5 NIB for a good price and was able to cram it in there with only a little bit of modification to the bracket that would have held the airbag. I will fill in the sides some how and then I am not sure if I will put the lid on a hing or just make it easily removable.

Can somebody help me with the size again? Sorry for my vista ignorance....
Last edited by ttocs on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulmichelsen

Post by paulmichelsen »

Here you go..
Attachments
dd1
dd1
DD1.jpg (32.24 KiB) Viewed 6394 times
dd2
dd2
DD2.jpg (47.58 KiB) Viewed 6394 times