Project 5.0

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Looks good so far!
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

nice work mang! cant...let...you...beat..me...

i can't rememeber if you said you were going new ti12, or old ti15?
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

I wanted to go with the old Ti15 but after I got it set in there, I realized that it really wasn't going to look right to me.... So I cut it for an RSdC/New Ti 12" and called it good.... The ring is 15"od now and would have had to be another 2 inches wider to get the 15 in there flush...... Who knows, if PG makes a 15, I've left it open to swap out the 12 but it wouldn't be recessed. :hmm:

I hope to lay down 2 layers tonight LunchBox so ya better get on yer pony..... :twisted:
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
tonym

Post by tonym »

FuzzyHoNutz wrote:So there has been alittle change in plans at the moment..........

As much as I'd like to install the M's, I just don't have the $$$ right now to get that done.... :oops: But have PLENTY of other gear ready to go so thats whats up.

I'm stealing Brian's nissan install but using a X100.4 / X600.1 and gettin 'em nekid behind smoked plexy. I plan to mold 12's into the sides behind the taillights to be able to keep my spare...... In my younger years I didn't care about having a spare or tools but now that I'm abit older and wiser......I really do..... So this install will be klean and usefull.....

Heres the trunk layout..................and little room I have.....
Throw that spare tire away and jack 2 m50's and an m100 in there :)

I havent had a spare tire in over 22 years :O yes I have had a flat....
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

tonym wrote:
FuzzyHoNutz wrote:So there has been alittle change in plans at the moment..........

As much as I'd like to install the M's, I just don't have the $$$ right now to get that done.... :oops: But have PLENTY of other gear ready to go so thats whats up.

I'm stealing Brian's nissan install but using a X100.4 / X600.1 and gettin 'em nekid behind smoked plexy. I plan to mold 12's into the sides behind the taillights to be able to keep my spare...... In my younger years I didn't care about having a spare or tools but now that I'm abit older and wiser......I really do..... So this install will be klean and usefull.....

Heres the trunk layout..................and little room I have.....
Throw that spare tire away and jack 2 m50's and an m100 in there :)

I havent had a spare tire in over 22 years :O yes I have had a flat....
x2

I have no spare, just an air compressor and a can of fix-a-flat... and roadside assistance through my insurance co. for 7.00 a month.
MX2 Crossover
Sapphire 1.5x - Sold
Roadster66 #11 - Sold
(2) RSdC 102 10" Subwoofers - Sold
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

my spare area houses my amps. AAA card and fix a flat but no flats yet(knock knock)
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Yeah I know........ :oops:
But having kids and all, I just feel better about having the means to help myself..... :batman: I don't have a cell phone ya know....... :snooty:

Laid 4 layers on the top tonight..... I'll try to drop 4 on the face tomorrow and really solidify these 2 pieces together. I really like the way my process has worked for the most part... I've had to grind out some air bubbles a time or 3 but it seems like my chop/mesh/chop/mesh method makes for a pretty strong wall.
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

You guys and your cars..... :roll:

Full size spare under the bed. 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
eulogious
"Loogie"

Post by eulogious »

My spare is under my hood, in two of my cars infact, don't have to worry about it either ;)
KDC x869
MB Quart RVF-216 6.5
SLD44
white zx450v2
white zx500
white BassCUBE
RSdC124
ZP Fuse Distro
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

my AAA is in my wallet and on my phone
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

ttocs wrote:my AAA is in my wallet and on my phone
But you rarely leave the house on any real roadtrips out to the middle of nowhere to my knowlegde...... :P
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Got jiggy and put down 4 layers on the face lastnight...... I'll bet I could stand on it now but I'm gonna lay 3-4 more before I call it good....... I was thinking about adding some bracing aswell. Then FILLER!!!!!! Lots and lots of filler.....

Better hurry Brian.............I'm close to finished :P
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

you're definetly gonna beat me. i have switched production of to johns box so i can have it ready as a wedding present...but i do got the face on that now!
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Here's where I'm at now......
It's starting to come together like buttcheeks............

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

what sub you putting ni there again? Been so long I forgot.
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Post by Ahsmo »

This is a novice question but how did you get the fiber glass to seal up to the MDF so well?
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

the mdf is porus so resin just soaks in but it is important to have the material stapled to the wood to help it out.

MDF and glass go very well together.........
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

^^^^ He's got it right......
I made sure to soak the shit outta the mdf so as to make a good bond... Where it meets, there are 3 layers inside the box and 5-6 layers on the outside. I used fiberglass filler at the seems aswell....

I've switched to an RSdC122 for this install.... The Ti15 was just too big....
Last edited by Rold Gold on Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

Ahsmo wrote:This is a novice question but how did you get the fiber glass to seal up to the MDF so well?
what kind of resin are you using? some (like bondo brand at home depot) have a wax additive that prevents it from adhearing to lots of things.

as ttocs said....typically resin and mdf get along very well
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

that is funny as all of my installs have used home depot bondo resin, never had an issue with it.
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Post by Ahsmo »

Bfowler wrote:
Ahsmo wrote:This is a novice question but how did you get the fiber glass to seal up to the MDF so well?
what kind of resin are you using? some (like bondo brand at home depot) have a wax additive that prevents it from adhearing to lots of things.

as ttocs said....typically resin and mdf get along very well
I was using the bondo stuff. I won't do that again.

what about the finished side, do you need to sand on it with some 80 grit or just leave it? OFF TOPIC: What about bonding MDF to plastic? I had though I would use fiberglass to make a tight seal by drilling a whole bunch of small holes in the plastic and laying glass over the two materials?
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

I'm using ELMER'S resin........ :lol: :shifty:
The only thing I've read is that you have to sand between each layer as the wax on the surface doesn't allow the next layers to stick. I haven't had any issues as of yet but I'm sure somebody will chime in and tell me that I wasted my time using what I did. :roll: I know that TAP Plastics has WAY BETTER resin's($60-$110 per gallon) but I traded a sub for 1.75 gallons of this stuff. IMO, it seems to work just fine. If I have to re-do the box in 2-3 years then so be it.... THIS SHIT IS FUN!!!!!!!!!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

fiberglass does not bond to plastic. The way to get it to work is to dril holes in the plastic to allow the resin to soak through and cure around the plastic and that can stick the wood to the plastic, the other option is CA glue which will work on both, great stuff but don't glue yourself to anything heavy or important.

LIke i said I have never had an issue with bondo brand resin. You sound like ou are new to glass and it takes some time to figure out how to propely mix/use it but don't be afraid of home depot resin as I never have been. I also do not sand between layers so the wax thing is new to me.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

More progress..............

Had to take the door apart anyhow so I broke out the roller.....

Finished my "ikea cuttingboard" speaker plates.......
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

So..........................
Now that I have a Roadster to use in my install......I have to figure out where it's gonna go....... Cuz this thing is a MONSTER!!!!! :twisted: It doesn't look all that big at first but once it's in the trunk...........damn.