Project 5.0

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

So there has been alittle change in plans at the moment..........

As much as I'd like to install the M's, I just don't have the $$$ right now to get that done.... :oops: But have PLENTY of other gear ready to go so thats whats up.

I'm stealing Brian's nissan install but using a X100.4 / X600.1 and gettin 'em nekid behind smoked plexy. I plan to mold 12's into the sides behind the taillights to be able to keep my spare...... In my younger years I didn't care about having a spare or tools but now that I'm abit older and wiser......I really do..... So this install will be klean and usefull.....

Heres the trunk layout..................and little room I have.....
Attachments
01-30-10 085.jpg
01-30-10 085.jpg (130.22 KiB) Viewed 9855 times
01-30-10 084.jpg
01-30-10 084.jpg (134.29 KiB) Viewed 9855 times
01-30-10 083.jpg
01-30-10 083.jpg (132.26 KiB) Viewed 9855 times
01-30-10 082.jpg
01-30-10 082.jpg (138.09 KiB) Viewed 9855 times
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

So I was surfin the interweb for a fiberglass Guru cookbook and found this site....... fiberglassforums.cizom :lol:

Anyone been here yet? TONS of FG knowledge here guys.... Lots of builds, good reads and links to all sorts of kool shit.. The first 3 hours I spent reading I already knew I aint know shit.......... I mean..... I had the basics but all the little shit that makes this kind of work easier for the hobbyist like myself.... So much time wasted over the years. :doh:
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

So I finally got off my dead ass today and got busy by running the power cable and rca's...... :shock: :clap: :lol:
Got the plates done for the front 6.5's and brackets for the tweets on saturday so those'll be easy to drop in once I get the amp situation handled......
I plan to get the body for the sub enclosure ready for glass by saturday so I can start layin sunday....

The itch has set in pretty bad to get this done so pix and progress to come........soon 8)
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

you have to register to see the threads!
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

It's worth it B..............trust me. :wink:
You'll start reading and loose 2-3 hours real quik like. Glass is what alotta these guys do for a living....
rscecil007

Post by rscecil007 »

FuzzyHoNutz wrote:So I was surfin the interweb for a fiberglass Guru cookbook and found this site....... fiberglassforums.cizom :lol:

Anyone been here yet? TONS of FG knowledge here guys.... Lots of builds, good reads and links to all sorts of kool shit.. The first 3 hours I spent reading I already knew I aint know shit.......... I mean..... I had the basics but all the little shit that makes this kind of work easier for the hobbyist like myself.... So much time wasted over the years. :doh:
That is an awesome site. There is a guy on the Tacoma boards that made some kicks for his truck that looks awesome, and it was his first time. He told me he read alot on that same site and sent me there. I've read for hours too Fuzzy.

Too bad now I don't have the funds to go 3-way up front like I wanted. Guess my fiberglassing project will have to wait. :(
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

rscecil007 wrote: That is an awesome site. There is a guy on the Tacoma boards that made some kicks for his truck that looks awesome, and it was his first time. He told me he read alot on that same site and sent me there. I've read for hours too Fuzzy.(
is that guy in vancouver? and glassed a jl 8 in the same tacoma?
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Hey Bri-
I need the link to the deadner you bought off amazon.......
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

here you go muchacho: http://www.amazon.com/Elemental-Designs ... 967&sr=8-2

the 40mil is pretty crappy, but the 80 is good
rscecil007

Post by rscecil007 »

Bfowler wrote:
rscecil007 wrote: That is an awesome site. There is a guy on the Tacoma boards that made some kicks for his truck that looks awesome, and it was his first time. He told me he read alot on that same site and sent me there. I've read for hours too Fuzzy.(
is that guy in vancouver? and glassed a jl 8 in the same tacoma?
No, this guy was in Texas I think, and put a set of Hybrid L4's down there.

Here's his link, with lots of photos. (hope you can see the pics without signing in)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio- ... -pics.html
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

for sound damper check out second skin, great stuff and good prices.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

I plan to double up ttocs.... Planned to get some SS spray-on deadner for the doors and lids.... The next spare $300 for the 5gal and it's mine. :twisted:

But for the time being, a single layer is better than nothing......
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

I ran accross a 100^ of FATMAT 50mil for $129 shipped...... Even if I double it up and made 50^ of 100mil @ $2.60^, it's still cheaper than Dynamat Extreme with 36^ of 80mil for $3.60^.....

I do believe I'll go with FM and like it................... 8)
rscecil007

Post by rscecil007 »

FuzzyHoNutz wrote:I ran accross a 100^ of FATMAT 50mil for $129 shipped...... Even if I double it up and made 50^ of 100mil @ $2.60^, it's still cheaper than Dynamat Extreme with 36^ of 80mil for $3.60^.....

I'm guessing you priced out Raammat too Fuzz? I can't remember what I paid for it, but Rick gives a discount to the Tacoma forum guys, but I used some BXT, BXT II, and his ensolite in my truck and have been really happy with it.

Might be worth a look if you haven't yet. Although what you found might be cheaper...
todd217

Post by todd217 »

you can get a discount on edead here http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=91_90
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I could not imagine needing much more then the damplifier pro but I went with a closed cell foam as well for the doors of my truck.
eulogious
"Loogie"

Post by eulogious »

FuzzyHoNutz wrote:I ran accross a 100^ of FATMAT 50mil for $129 shipped...... Even if I double it up and made 50^ of 100mil @ $2.60^, it's still cheaper than Dynamat Extreme with 36^ of 80mil for $3.60^.....

I bought some of this stuff about 6 years ago, and it's good stuff, you should like it. I still have 50 feet kicking around somewhere... I think I paid $75 or $85 for 100 feet of it back then. I thought they went bankrupt. Guess not.

Maybe I will bust this out on the subie!

Nah. Its a subi :lol:
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Today I started taping to start the glass work.....

2 layers masking tape.....
3 layers foil........
2 layers masking tape.....
2 layers foil......

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Overkill I know but like I always say....
"Anything worth doing is worth over doing..."
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

have you done the sound damping yet? If you have not, you do not want to lay down glass................ The little bit you will gain in the damping area will lead to a much much bigger head ache then you would expect.
todd217

Post by todd217 »

fuzzy would you be interested in building a second box for some $$?
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

I actually added that into my layer count ttoc's.... I'll be adding alittle more tape/foil as to account for the 50mil FM going under the enclosure. Since it's only going back to the trunk panel, I don't have to worry about the sides and can double up there.... My goal is to be able to remove the sub and have it appear asthough it was never there.......

Todd-
I might could do that....... :hmm: But it's gonna cost ya cuz there's gonna be alotta time & materials involved.....
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

-Current supplies list-
2 rolls maskingtape - $10
2 rolls foil - $3
2 rolls cling wrap - $3
2 gallons resin - $70
Chop mat - $25 (Probly need more)
Mixing cups - $10
2 Great Stuff foam - $10
Dowels - $4
Total (for now) $135

-How I plan to build-
Prep- Tape & Foil
*Lay bottom/back/side twice with thin-ish layers
*Remove from car and lay a thicker layer or 2
*Set the ring/driver angle and depth (make easy break away dowels)
*Line with plastic and fill it with foam
*Bring sexy back (shape)
*Wrap with cling wrap
*Wrap with thick fleece and resin
*Seperate the face from back (thanks easy break away)
*Remove foam and cling wrap
*Cut driver opening, trim excess and drill for pop rivets
*Resin the mating surfaces and rivet back together qwik-like
*Layer layer layer on the inside (7-8 layers total)
*Coat with filler and sand
*Carpet and install

As I finish these steps, I'll add pictures............
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I really really do not recomend laying any glass till you have the sound damping down.......... When done right the glass will conform to every little nook and cranny and you will be amazed at how little of a difference you need to make the box either not fit correctly, or not at all with out more work after putting the damping down.

I would also recomend that you build up the form as much as you can in the car. As different layers of glass are layed down they can cause the shape to shrink.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

So this has turned into the never-ending install hasn't it......... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

-Laid in sound deadner
-Laid down about 4 layers (chop/mesh/chop/mesh), built the frame/position rings and wrapped/resinated the front to my enclosure....

For some odd reason, I didn't take pix of the frame building as I was just in the zone..... :doh: :doh: :doh:

But here's where I'm at as of tonight.....

Next I'll get to hittin this with some layers front to back another 6 times or so.................
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

looks good so far. Should be easy to fill in the low spots and build up some strength in it.

I decided to move my DD5 this week. The thought about, and the actual phisical movement of the thing was easy enough and all I thought about. I didn't think about moving all the wiring going to it. 3 days into it now and rewired the whole freakin system.