Home Subs

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
444 FED

Home Subs

Post by 444 FED »

Anone else here using Car subs, or speakers for that matter for homw?

Currently I'm running two X12D4s in a sealed "hatchback box", I plan to make two independant sub enclosures that will double as stands for my mains. I am running them in series off an old Stereo receiver (Genexxa is the brand :lol: ). I have a recently aquired Yamaha 7.1 receiver feeding signal to this amp.

The sub system can get LOUD, I haven't ran it full, yet, since I live in a basement apartment below my LL. :lol:

I was planning on building some folded horns for the 12s, but after using the auto setup and it turning my sub down 5db and my mains up 4.5 db for a total differenc of 9.5 db, I don't think I need that efficiancy. :lol:

I'm actually trying to find a better amp, or pair of amps to use when I build the new enclosures, I'm thinking I may use one in box amp "module" and just run a wire from one to the other, kinda like the old Active and passive Bazoka tube set-up. :lol:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

The Xenons play low end that borders on pointlessness in a car. I can't think of a better car audio sub for home audio purposes than that.
joyride

Post by joyride »

I recently switched out my Xmax with a Xenon and it plays much better. A lot more controlled and deeper. Mine sits in a 3.7 ft cube powered off a bash 500 watt amp. I couldnt be happier with it. In fact, my brother with an SVS PC+ was actually impressed by the xenon's abilities. As soon as I get my mic back, I will test it and get you a response curve.

The box was MDF covered in a rift cut Mahogany veneer. It was a first attempt at pressing my own veneer, so I have some 1 mm gaps to fill in. Also, the grill was the best material I could find at the time. I plan on ordering some real grill cloth in a few weeks, but I have to see how much my table I am making is going to run me (Bubinga is not cheap!).

444 FED

Post by 444 FED »

That's a pretty nice sub. Link to specs of that amp? Best I've been able to find so far, at least within my price range that I'd like to spend is about 200 watt, though that should be MORE than enough, I'd just LOVE to run insane amounts of bass, so that when there's an explosion in a movie, I actually feel like it's happening in my living room. :lol:

I'm VERY tempted to use 'glass to make my enclosures. :lol:

Make some sort of funky design, and for the hell of it, hook up the LEDs in the subs, since I have a 12V trigger out on my Yamaha Receiver. :lol:
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

FED, Check partsexpress.com they have a whole catalog of sub amp's however if you want a stand alone unit take a look at Audiosource's AMP5.x line they are modular and have no sub XO's per say but they have trigger on options and by chance I have a AMP5.3A available, yes I know I am sounding like a pop-up ad at this point.........
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
444 FED

Post by 444 FED »

I think it was Parts Express that I had looked at previously.

I'll look at the amps that you mentioned, I'd rather run a seperate (modular) amp and have it triggered from teh Yamaha receiver, so there is no delayed turn on, or shut off, on when the rest of teh system is on. ;)
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

http://www.audiosource.net/2005/amp53a.html

This manual is for the AMP5.3 which is the same other than the auto-on feature.

ftp://anonymous:[email protected] ... mpfive.pdf
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.