Visaton Atlas DSM MK III incoming (eventually)

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
Marcelbofh

Visaton Atlas DSM MK III incoming (eventually)

Post by Marcelbofh »

After goofing off with my current pos install, I figured I may aswell post something serious aswell then. Introducing the Visaton Atlas DSM MK III.

These floorstanders have earned themselves sort of a legendary status over here in Europe in the DIY speakerbuilding community.
They date back to well into the 90's (yes, again) but are still remembered to this day by many people.
They were garanteed to deliver 16Hz (32 feet organ pipe) in the right setting, and apparently this has been proven numerous times.

Visaton always has been a DIY oriented supplier of speakerkits, and is especially known for their "fair speakers for a reasonable buck" attitude.
This does not mean however they did not make High-end units. This one here pretty much is the best kit Visaton has ever made.
Somewhere in the late 90's I was lucky enough to grab me this kit from some dealer.
Was itching to build them back then, but for whatever reason they eventually ended up in the attic aswell.
(again with the storing stuff away)

I recently visited Nico, and got a chance to listen to the Klipsch speakers he was raving about on more then one occasion.
During our talk I mentioned I still had this speakerkit stored away at home, and of course that was soon followed by the question:

"why did you never actually built them?"

Good one, decided to finally build them, and make a worklog of them at the same time.
This still has to happen people, and will be placed in the appropriate section here in time.
The bit below is more to show you what I'm up to in the near future along with the PG build in my car when I get the amps back.
The car-audio probably has to wait on me finishing these speakers though.

Right, so now for the sneakpeak/teaser:

This is the complete kit w/o x-overs, I crammed an oldschool Alpine in there to get an idea on the size (kinda failed though)

And they will end up something like this:
My enclosure will be heavily modified though, but the baffle will remain like this setup.
Not getting into that now, that's for some other time (worklog)

The tweeters, Actually these shown here were not part of the set, I switched the dome tweeters back then for these softer sounding ribbon tweeters.
German tweeters were kind of harsh sounding back then.
Man those camera's sure are unforgiving aren't they, yes there's some wear and tear on them, the fronts come off easy though, and will be fixed.
It just shows what 10 years of continued use in various speakers does.
The Dynamat on the inside of the right one (both have it) has a use.
The idea was to reduce vibrations coming from the enclosure itself (short version)

Higher midrange comes out of these dome midranges, they don't look it, but these have some serious weight on them, let me tell you:

Lower midrange comes from these glass fiber beauties, they actually are DVC (2x4 Ohms)
They were an upgrade on the former kit, and luckily I got me the upgraded kit.

One (well, two left/right) of the bass units will disappear completely inside the enclosure, dang shame if asked me, but the design on it is sound.
This one is the TIW250, a 10Inch unit:

The bigboy then.
Meet the TIW250's big brother, the TIW400. This 15" monster towers high above everyone near the enclosure when it's done
It's basically the same woofer as the 250, just a hell of a lot bigger (and heavier for that matter)
The chassis on these and the 250's are noteworthy.
They are a onepiece solid cast aluminium alloy, and surpricingly heavy and rigid.

The attention of detail that went into designing these is pretty impressive.
For example, the stands of the basket are pyramid shaped on the inside.
This helps preventing the (inside waves) bounching off on them, kinda hard to explain, and picture does not show them very well.

Moving along to the x-overs, I will let the pics do the talking for me.
(can't remember excact specs, and running out of time looking them up, gtg in a minute)
Thinking on making them outside the enclosure, instead of behind the TIW400's inside the enclosure, as the build sheet dictates.
More on that later aswell.

Ah, I just remembered (one of the reasons) why I had them stored so long (believe it or not, this kit is over ten years old)

...THEY WEIGH A TON WHEN FINISHED.

No lie either, when I'm done with them, they will be impossible to move anywhere alone.
In fact, I have serious doubts if two sturdy men can lug these around aswell.
The default drawing makes them qualify as "stupidly heavy and huge", and mine will be even more so when done.
This pretty much means I will have to build them where they will end up eventually.

Wrapping it up, it won't be very soon you see them appear here, but I will maintain a worklog along as a go.
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

So I guess I'll be invited then when they're up and running...?
Just got to hear them again after all that time; heard them about 10 years back at the speaker-en Co shop, and was almost [litterally] blown away by the impression [pressure] they put out.
Way to big for me, as I like bookshelf-sized speakers, but when I had to choose something that would satisfy my music-hunger, I'd go for these.
Curious about the build Marcel, you already told about the mods you're going to make while building them.
Oh, and please call me when they are positioned at the right place, I already had one operation on my lower back.... :wink:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Wow those drivers look like serious business!

I would love to make a set of DIY speakers but I absolutely suck at woodworking, and have no room for the tools I would need to be any good at it. One day maybe...
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

And WTF is that PG-pin doing there on every pic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[it belongs on my jacket... :lol: ]
Tom; "schoenmaker blijf bij je leest" [keep your eyes on the comp. screen, and your hands off the sawing-machine.... :wink:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I've never been one to give up on something just because I don't know how to do it initially! I taught myself computers, just like I taught myself car audio, and will one day teach myself woodworking as well ;)
Marcelbofh

Post by Marcelbofh »

nico boom wrote:So I guess I'll be invited then when they're up and running...?
As soon as they're done and been broken in, you will have first dibs buddy.
nico boom wrote:And WTF is that PG-pin doing there on every pic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Was wondering when that question would come up...
There's two reasons actually, first it's kind of a salute to PG for the way they were in the good old days (it's the old logo)
Secondly it also serves as some sort of signature, that way you can always tell it's a picture I made.

Main reason is the salute though...

(p.s, Stipud, I taught myself everything I know aswell, also computers audio and what not. Just a way of life I guess)
Bergmans23

Re: Visaton Atlas DSM MK III incoming (eventually)

Post by Bergmans23 »

Hi Marcel,

I was wondering if you still have the set of Visaton speakers you were writing about here...
Already own a set, but I would like to build me a second set...

Bye

Ward (nl)