Any of you guys familiar with windows 2008?

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
joyride

Any of you guys familiar with windows 2008?

Post by joyride »

So Im setting up my render farm and struggling with the new operating systems. If I were on all XP, this wouldnt be an issue. Anyway, I have a desktop that I am using as the main unit. It has a hard drive that I need to share (map) throughout the network. The desktop is running windows 7. I have a wireless connection to the internet, and another closed system to a switch (which connects the two servers).

The problem I am having is connecting the mapped drive on the servers (each running 2008). From what I can see, it does not function the same (with workgroups) as win7. I can see the drive, but it will not allow me to connect. Also, my render spawner is seen on the desktop, but will time out. I think that one of the computers is blocking the other. I have turned off firewalls, and set all the sharing access to 'no password' and it still wont work. Is there anyway in 2008 to set up a 'workgroup' similar to win7?
Francious70
Half Baked

Re: Any of you guys familiar with windows 2008?

Post by Francious70 »

joyride wrote:So Im setting up my render farm and struggling with the new operating systems. If I were on all XP, this wouldnt be an issue. Anyway, I have a desktop that I am using as the main unit. It has a hard drive that I need to share (map) throughout the network. The desktop is running windows 7. I have a wireless connection to the internet, and another closed system to a switch (which connects the two servers).

The problem I am having is connecting the mapped drive on the servers (each running 2008). From what I can see, it does not function the same (with workgroups) as win7. I can see the drive, but it will not allow me to connect. Also, my render spawner is seen on the desktop, but will time out. I think that one of the computers is blocking the other. I have turned off firewalls, and set all the sharing access to 'no password' and it still wont work. Is there anyway in 2008 to set up a 'workgroup' similar to win7?
Have you tried setting user permissions to "everyone"?

And when you say 2008, you are referring to Server 2008, right?
Boomshackalacka
joyride

Post by joyride »

Yes, it is the server edition. I needed to use it rather than a standard edition due to using 4 physical procesors per computer. I have set the permissions to everyone, but it was still being a pain in the ass. I have taken some time off from trying to figure it out, but now that I am in a permanent place I will be revisiting this soon. Any ideas other than setting permissions?
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

I know this might sound retarded, but in your network connection settings, do you have file sharing turned on?
Boomshackalacka
joyride

Post by joyride »

yup, everything is on.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Sorry friend, that's about the limit of my knowledge.
Boomshackalacka
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

What happens when you try to connect to the shares? Does it ask for a login (username/pass) and simply fail, regardless of whether you're inputting the correct pair or does it report a error?
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
joyride

Post by joyride »

Currently they are in boxes so I cant try at this moment. But going off memory, I think that they would ask for the user/PW and then fail.