Will ceiling speakers worth well enough for rear surrounds ?

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
Me-262

Will ceiling speakers worth well enough for rear surrounds ?

Post by Me-262 »

We had our electrical walk-through over the weekend. The good news is the electrician will run all my speaker wire for $60, well worth the money IMO. The bad news is, I wanted to run in-wall speakers for the rear surrounds as part of a compromise with my wife. (that's not the bad news). The speakers were to be mounted in the outside facing wall (where the red squares are in the diagram). We had the foreman and others on site at the same time and they were concerned about insulation behind the speakers (or lack thereof). They asked for the specs on depth which I emailed to them. I am now told the speakers are too deep and this will not allow for proper insulation of the walls so this is a no-go.

My only other option for a hidden speaker would be in-ceiling speakers. Since rear surrounds aren't as important as the fronts (which are floor standing in my case), is this a reasonable option for a Home Theater setup ?

I'm thinking of going with one of Klipsch's models CDT-3650-C, CDT-3800-C, CDT-5650-C (to match my other speakers). They feature the ability to rotate and aim both the driver & tweeter . Do these look like they'll be able to perform a rear surround role ?

Thanks to a patent-pending gimbal mechanism known as Controlled Dispersion Technology™ (CDT) both the high and low frequencies of the CDT-3800-C can be directed towards the listening area. Because the tweeter is independently adjustable from the woofer this speaker offers even more precise localization.

The CDT-3800-C features a 1-inch aluminum tweeter mated to a swiveling 100-degree Tractrix® Horn. This swiveling horn design dramatically increases efficiency by enabling the speaker to produce more output using less energy. Additionally a horn-loaded tweeter works well in instances where you want to point the sound to a specific location because it has more controlled directivity than a conventional dome tweeter.

The speaker's 8-inch copper-colored IMG woofer also has great positioning capabilities. It can rotate a full 360 degrees and then shift 15 degrees in any direction. This flexibility combined with the swiveling tweeter puts you in complete control of where the sound will go

Question 2: Exactly where should I mount the ceiling speakers ? The picture below is the family room wall where the couch will go and the ceiling speakers will be mounted. Say the couch is probably as wide as the window. Would you mount the speakers directly above each side of the couch or slightly off to the sides ? I count 12 slots in the ceiling from left to right where the speakers would go. My best guess would be to mount them at slots 2 and 11. What say you all ?

Audiophiliac

Re: Will ceiling speakers worth well enough for rear surroun

Post by Audiophiliac »

You will be perfectly fine with the ceiling speaks. Your "guess" on their position is right on. It looks like that should put them around 2' away from the side and rear walls? That is a good thing to avoid reflective surfaces too close to the speakers. Hopefully your seating can end up in line or slightly in front of the speakers?

Looks like a sweet place.
Me-262

Post by Me-262 »

Thanks for the info ! See I didn't think to ask how far forward they should be either !! Couch will go up against the wall so the seating should be in line with the speakers. I like the idea of being able to aim the drivers/tweeters. This is a house we've worked towards achieving, should be great once complete. This will be one more finishing touch !!!
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

would you happen to need some phoenix gold, in-wall speakers? I have a pair with a 6.5 and a 1" that has a tunable tweeter I need to sell.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Me-262

Post by Me-262 »

Which model, wasn't thinking of PG as my speakers are all Klipsch but could always use a set for the dining room where I need a pair.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

can't remember off the top of my head, let me look in the morning but they are good speakers with little use.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Me-262

Post by Me-262 »

Pics ? Price ?