Love to see PG build something like this

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

After all the PG car amps that I have purchased and still owning, I would love the see some sort of power supply box that a car amp could nicely sit on or in, that would power a car amp for a home application. Yes, I know a good chunk of power supply parts in the car amp would need to be by passed, but, I believe there would be a lot of people who have car amps in their closets who would use them for home audio applications... A ZPA.5 in stereo mode would be nice... I would think that most guys here could, desolder the toroids and solder in some wire to the power supply base, etc. The power supply base would be a higher voltage (just like a home amp) so all the 12volt to whatever voltage would be bypassed and not be required.

Any thoughts anyone?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Love to see PG build something like this

Post by ttocs »

wonder why no one has ever done that before....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

You'd essentially have to replace the whole power supply section, and reuse the output section somehow, which is pretty much pointless. Get a good load sensing 12v power supply and call it a day. Better yet, if you run it off a battery (and periodically recharge it), you will be isolated from your "dirty" home power, so you will have less noise than your average home audio amp.
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

X2. 50amp power supply buffered with a battery and call it a day.
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

The whole thing with this thought is to have a nice, elegant power supply base the houses a nice amp ie ZPA .5, where a huge ass car battery is not required. A system that would look proud in the living room. There would be people buying this... Yes, pretty much the power supply in the amp would need to be by passed. A little work, but possible, no?
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

Do you want me to make you one?
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

I used MS2125's and even MS1000 amps in my livingroom; because of the 8 Ohm impedance of the typical home-audio speakers a good 40-50 amp powersupply is enough.
A battery will serve well for about a week when listening every evening for app. 2 hours , then needs recharge.
Better yet; use a charger with a time-clock which switches on during the night...
SIMPLE!
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

I thought about running 12v amps in my home. But the power supply is too noisy (has intake and exhaust fans). So would you guys need to have the power supply in another room/closet and just run the power cables to the amps (sounds like that's the only way to do it). Ofcourse the power supply I have is hybrid and can be used with a battery (atleast 350cca, which most batteries are), so I can always use a battery to run more amplifiers.

Anyone have any pics of their 12v in-house set up?