Home Theater Idea I'm Tinkering With.

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
Kirghiz

Home Theater Idea I'm Tinkering With.

Post by Kirghiz »

I'm a computer nerd at heart, and ever since I put two 42" LCD's on my desktop computer I've wanted to do a home theater PC, and of course dedicate a room to it. The idea being that it would have several TB of storage and I could just store all my movies on the hard drives. It'd also have a TV tuner, and of course internet for streaming from Netflix and whatnot. That's the easy part.

A few months ago I sold myself on the idea of using a pair of Phoenix Gold Cyclones as the subwoofer system. People do that already I understand, and that is also easy.

Now I see where a few of you guys have made soundboards to show off the Phoenix Gold gear at home, and I wonder how hard it would be to make a 7.1 Surround sound system out of Phoenix Gold amps? I guess you could take a 7.1 Preamp processor and run the amps off of that, but then what? What about the odd 7th channel?
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Drock

Re: Home Theater Idea I'm Tinkering With.

Post by Drock »

I believe pg actually made a 5.1 surround amp awhile back. Not sure of the model, but I'm sure I seen a couple for sale on the bay here and there.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

I can get a 7.1 Sound card for the computer, one I looked at even had a 122db S/N ratio, but I think it would have to feed into a 7.1 Preamp somehow Because they don't use RCA's because of space, and then go to the amps from there.

If PG made a 3x100 or 5x100 amp of some sort, or even a 100 watt mono, that could probably be made to work I think, but if they exist I can't think of what they are.

Honestly, just as an example, I wouldn't be opposed to running four M100's in stereo on the surround sound speakers, and perhaps just double up on the center channel with a reduced gain on that amp. Then I could do a fifth M100 bridged to power the Cyclones. That'd probably work I'd say, though I wouldn't use M100's because I wouldn't want to recap five amps, and five M100's would take up a ton of space, but that's the kind of power I'm looking for. Might could use Ti's or Xenon's for it I guess.

Path of least resistance is probably to use a proper 7x100 surround sound amp, and then get a 500 watt at 4 ohm plate amp for the cyclones. It'd still have to go (computer--preamp--amps) anyway you look at it because of the limited connections on the computer sound cards. I can only imagine what computer games would sound like on that though. LOL
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Ti 900.7 would work
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B0007WRR2K/ref=mw_dp_olp

I've sworn off buying things from Germany for a while. LOL