Home theater progress

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Home theater progress

Post by Eric D »

Some of you may have known that I took most of the last year off of working on fixing electronics to work on my home theater. Well I have a very long way to go, but I am finally at a point I can actually do something with it, and for me that is exciting. Here is my progress on it...

http://www.soundbuggy.com/Eric/home_theater/index.html

And here would be the most current photo...

Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
trickyricky

Re: Home theater progress

Post by trickyricky »

Are you going to cover the inside walls? At least with a cloth/fabric so the insulation and studs are not visible... You can use fabric and stretch it. it will appear as a solid wall such as drywall but without the heavy panels, tape and mudding/sanding, painting... Easy to install as well.

Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Yes indeed, I plan to finish off the whole room. I don't want to do anything permanent until I figure out my exact speaker placement. My plan is to install the TV, and 8 speakers, then use it for a month or two and decide where everything needs to be. Then pull all the equipment and finish off the interior.
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

no Phoenix gold amps ??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

what kind of amps are you running there on the floor eric?
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Those are Forte Audio Model 7 mono amps.

Forte is a budget line made by Threshold.

75Wx1 @ 8ohm Class A
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

i have never heard them but i hear they sound nice! did you have to wire a a circuit in for the amps alone?
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I did wire up a dedicated circuit for the theater, but not a dedicated one just for those amps. I have been using them for years on all sorts of outlets and never had an issue. Being only 75W each, they draw maybe 400W from the outlet, so that is not too bad.

I would like to sell the pair of amps, and the matching Forte F-44 preamplifer if you know anyone interested.

http://www.soundbuggy.com/Eric/Home%20A ... index.html

http://www.soundbuggy.com/Eric/Home%20A ... index.html
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

very nice Eric
I will take some pics of my 9.2 set up
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

KLF-10? I am working on a deal now to pick up a set of KLF-20 and a KLF-C7 center channel locally. I am excited. I got turned off of Klipsch and horns in general when I first started in this industry 14 years ago. This was mainly due to the fact that I worked at Ultimate Electronics and they sold a lot of Klipsch, but it was set up in the store so poorly, that I could not stand to listen to it. I ended up buying speakers at a hifi shop (that I later worked for for 9+ year), rather than buy anything I could have got great discounts on from Ultimate.

I digress. Your room is looking like it is off to a great start!
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I have mixed feelings on Klipsch. They sound good, but a lot of other speakers sound better. In my case I really like Klipsch because they play loud, and for home theater that is worth something.

I have bought a bunch of stuff in the past few months and now have the following...

2 KLF-10
1 KLF-C7
2 RF-35
2 RB-5
2 KSW-10
2 Cornwall I
1 RC-3
2 RS-25

I really like the RF-35. It may not be as loud as the KLF-10 or have as much bass, but it seems clearer, and the fit and finish is WAY nicer.

I have not listened to the Cornwall I yet. They are in excellent shape, but I will take them apart prior to trying them, and inspect everything. I am guessing the crossovers may be bad due to age (1980).
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I have always enjoyed klipsch myself. The last store I installed for before moving to az had a home audio section that was headed up by klipsch and definitive technology. Love both of those brands.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

Set up properly, with the right electronics, in the right room, I think any speaker can sound good. But some sound great. Of course it is all subjective as well. What works for one does not work at all for another.

I hope I like the Klipsch setup I am hoping to bring home next week. If not, it will be easy to re-sell at least. If you are not yet familiar, google Bob Crites. He sells and services nearly any Klipsch speaker going all the way back to the original Klipschorn. His prices are reasonable and he has a stock of most commonly needed parts and upgrades. The Klipsch owners' forum has some pretty useful information, in case you had not already scoped it out.

My first choice in speakers would be Zu Audio something or other. I was about to get a set of their Soul speakers. But I do not have the budget at the time. Some big Martin Logan electrostats are pretty mesmerizing as well. The first speaker that really pulled me into the hifi/A/V scene were B&W Silver Signatures. I would love to get my hands on a mint set with the matching stands and external crossovers. I am not holding my breath. No one seems to ever want to part with them. I do not blame them either.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I could hang a nice set of electrostats on the wall to never hear them. I have found myself just blankly looking into/through them on the rare occasion I managed to get around some.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.