headphones NEEDED

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Post by Mackenzie »

Let me also add that these sonys do not sound muddy, and boomy like some of the cheaper the models. These are totatly different beasts..
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

stipud wrote:http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91522

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=14015

I haven't heard the set, but they don't seem to be too popular...
To each his own i guess, but they sound great.. Ive been listening to just about every kind of music, and they sound great. Since i work at cc, i may play around with a few different sets..
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

I think we need to have a headphone sound off. :lol: Im not to sure what was up with the first thread. O well, cant please everyone.. the second link was good..
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

I am curious as to how the sony mdrv6s sound, so I think i am going to purchase them.. The site you posted even seems to heavily praise them, and say nothing in that price range is with them.. Cant wait to try them out..

quote that forum.

Your best bet around the $100 average pricepoint for a closed circumaural would be a Sony MDRV6 or a used Beyerdynamic DT250.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 1665089914
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

stipud wrote:I've personally seen the Beyerdynamic DT-250's in a few studios and other professional places. The movie "Blades of Glory" is the last time I saw them.. the announcers are wearing them. VERY popular monitor headphone. The Sony's are pretty cheap for a "studio monitor", so that may explain their popularity. I haven't heard them, so I can't comment, but typically Sony's have been the EPITOME of uncomfortable, with insanely bloaty sound.

That DT-880 and amp package seems like a pretty smoking deal! I would personally prefer the DT-770's due to the sealed design (no outside noise), but if you are listening in privacy then the 880's will be fine. They are semi-sealed, so better than the 990's. I can still get the 770's pretty loud outside though...

It's hard to describe how these headphones sound... because they sound like headphones. The characteristics aren't quite as obvious as they are in car audio. You don't feel the music the same way. These headphones just sound... perfect? There's no obvious bloating anywhere... it's not like a car where you have the subs, mids and tweets, and they all have different characteristics... you just have two point-sources.

Personally I like to bump the bass by about 3dB on the 770's, just because I'm used to car audio pummeling my face. Other than that, I wouldn't change anything about them!
Just to comment on this statement more, the sony r10s are proclaimed to be some of the best/ best headphones made.. check out the forum8) Sony makes great headphones, just the cheap ones arent very good..
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

That's fine, but I can only comment on the Sony's I have heard, which mostly fall in the $1-200 range consumer products. They have all been extremely uncomfortable and bloaty sounding. I am sure they can and do make good products as well, but I have yet to hear one.

If you ever see them, give the AKG-701's a try. That's the headphone that made me want to change.... SOOOOOOOO comfortable, sound awesome, but very expensive. At close to half the price the Beyerdynamics are pretty much equal in comfort, and sound nearly as good. I loved the open sound of the AKGs, but that also meant they radiated a lot of noise outwards. Since I use my headphones predominantly in the office while listening to metal, sealed cans were an absolute must.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

to touch on sonys..i have a pair of the sony mdr-nc50's i use at my computer at work.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones-head ... 94268.html

i don't know if they just need an amplifier, or if they just sound like this all the time, but they lack bass, and distort quite eisly if i try and boost it on an eq. they sound great other then that.

i have heard from many musicians that the higher end sonys are quite good. if these could put out some decent bass notes, i would love em.

just my $.019995can
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

Bfowler wrote:to touch on sonys..i have a pair of the sony mdr-nc50's i use at my computer at work.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones-head ... 94268.html

i don't know if they just need an amplifier, or if they just sound like this all the time, but they lack bass, and distort quite eisly if i try and boost it on an eq. they sound great other then that.

i have heard from many musicians that the higher end sonys are quite good. if these could put out some decent bass notes, i would love em.

just my $.019995can
I would step it up to the studio monitor series.. like the mdvr6, or another model.. I am personally debating on the mdvr6s, which are a very popular headset, and is used in many studios throughout the world or the sa 1000s, which is the higher end sony sets, and are supposed to be the most comfortable headphones..
mdrv6s
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 1665089914
sa1000s

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... d=11035320
Last edited by Mackenzie on Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Got the 880 today holy shit...these things are so comfortable its silly, sound pretty good but I def need an amp for them....
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

bdubs767 wrote:Got the 880 today holy shit...these things are so comfortable its silly, sound pretty good but I def need an amp for them....
Yep, 250 ohms is pretty tough to drive.

How's the ambient noise with the open design? Putting on my 770's sounds like i've stepped into an anechoic chamber.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

you can hear the noise around you quite easily....but the headphones are not loud from the outside.
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

I ordered the sony v6s.. I did alot of searching around, and that set is very popular amoung the forum. My v600s were not, but i took those back monday anyways.. Apparently they are way better than the v600s, so i am eager to test them..
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

update!! I just got the sony mdrv6s in the mail, and I must say, their is a night and day difference between this set, and the v600s.. Much much wider soundstage... I couldnt believe the difference. Smoother highs, much deeper, and fuller lows. This set is the real deal..
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Got the dared mp5.

Thing is gorgeous, its a real "audiphile item" because it comes w/ white gloves and a camel haired brush to dust the amp off lol. Also has all the cables needed, nice solid package, just plug it into a USB port and it's ready to go.

On to sound....with the DT 880s this is simply the greatest thing I have ever heard. Ill give a more in depth review in about a week, and if I'm not lazy Ill put some pics up.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Did you ever figure out conclusively what is used to amp the headphones with the Dared?

I would definitely like to get my hands on that amp.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

stipud wrote:Did you ever figure out conclusively what is used to amp the headphones with the Dared?

I would definitely like to get my hands on that amp.
Not sure but this is what I know. The unti register on my mac as Burr-Brown Jap PCM2702. So it comes out the Mac via the USB through a BB then to the tube preamp, from there what drives the headphone not sure? The output tubes are lightened up but that doesnt mean squatt...

All I know is it sound like sex.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Also very nice offering.

You can have both the USB input and RCA input hooked up and changed between the two with a flip of the toogle switch on the back.

SO w/o this little babies going to run the my Scan 6600s in the towers.

Tom also I want to say now after listening to it for an hr my guess is the tubes drive the headphones as the only area thats hot on the amp is around the output tubes.
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

My sonys sound amazing without an amp, I cant imagine what they will sound like if i choose to add one..
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Mackenzie wrote:My sonys sound amazing without an amp, I cant imagine what they will sound like if i choose to add one..
man up and do it.

My dt 880s sounded amazing before, but the dynamics you get from the amp is stunning. I have not taken my headphones off since the first post lol, there to much fun.

Def worth the $670 I dropped on the set up.
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

Link for the amp? or amps
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

The grado ra1 amps look nice with the wooden finish in this thread..

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthrea ... y+pictures
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

This review reports a background hissing. Do you notice this with your Beyers Brandon?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthrea ... =Dared+MP5

I think I finally figured out how the amp works. The tubes power the preamp stage and the headphones, but it uses an integrated amp to power the outputs. So it's a tube headphone amplifier and preamp with a little built in amp for speakers. Definitely not a fully tube home amplifier then, but a hybrid. So may not be the best speaker amplifier in the world, but it should at least have a tube sound to it.

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/dared/dared.html
"Today's kit is different. I let Mr. Joe P. Zhou, US importer for Dared tube amplifiers from China, describe it in his own words: "The 2006 new Dared MP-5 is a USB DAC tube headphone and hybrid integrated amplifier"

Found an internal pic as well:
Last edited by stipud on Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

I am pretty sure it uses the tubes...the thing was piping hot.

I dont have any noise issues at all