Portable Audio

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
BH
Wretched Simmons

Portable Audio

Post by BH »

What does everyone use for their portable audio pleasure? I'll let the thread live for a bit then start to share the well into a grand that I've spent on an mp3 player a pair of headphones and a headphone amplifier... Just curious to see if anyone else shares with me in this audio niche.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

80gb iPod video, Sennheiser PX200's, and Etymotic ER-6i's.
BH
Wretched Simmons

Post by BH »

Do you like the 6i's? I wasn't all the impressed w/ them but I did like the 4's. And you can't go wrong w/ a pair of Senns... :)
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

30gb Ipod video. I have the alpine adapter for my car, plugs directly into the HU and can access it through there. I want one of the newer Alpine HU because they have the full speed capability. I can only access one playlist/album at a time.

I love the capability of all my fav. songs in the palm of my hand.
BH
Wretched Simmons

Post by BH »

AVICJR wrote:30gb Ipod video. I have the alpine adapter for my car, plugs directly into the HU and can access it through there. I want one of the newer Alpine HU because they have the full speed capability. I can only access one playlist/album at a time.

I love the capability of all my fav. songs in the palm of my hand.
Main point of the thread is the headphone system not the mp3 player. But appreciated.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Older iPod shuffle and I just use some crappy Koss over ear headphones. i really don't use it very often.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

BH wrote:Do you like the 6i's? I wasn't all the impressed w/ them but I did like the 4's. And you can't go wrong w/ a pair of Senns... :)
I don't sit and listen to music all that often, normally it's just on the go, or randomly around the office, so I just use my Sennheisers 99% of the time. They are great for the airplane when I sit for long hours and don't need to put them in and out all the time, but when I first got them my ears became majorly irritated by wearing them.

The treble is good, midrange perfect, but it lacks on bass. With my laptop EQ it works perfect, but the iPod EQ and amp leaves much to be desired. The Senns sound perfect with treble boost on the iPod however.
Last edited by stipud on Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

8g ipod nano. it looks super slick

within the next few months you all will see a thread about its glorious integration into my cars interior
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

None, becuase I only really listen to music in the car and to use the ipod as a source is kinda stupid with its low sonic quailties I have been reading about...but have heard of a few upgrades that can be given to them, nto sure what tho?
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
BH
Wretched Simmons

Post by BH »

The iPod really isn't much of a slouch! You back it up w/ a nice amp and it becomes a healthy output stage.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Wallet... keys... cellphone... iPod...

My pockets are full man. Who has room to carry around an amp? :lol:

I guess I can sort of understand at a desk, but even that is a bit obsessive (says the guy with the expensive car stereo :lol: ).
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Then I have a question with I pod....

If I were to get the alpine unit to hook it up directly to the alpine head unit through AI-net, I believe, would the head unit be receiving the signal from the IPOD digital or analog?
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Analog probably, but at least a line level output, unlike the headphone jack that had it's output limited due to French laws.
BH
Wretched Simmons

Post by BH »

I have an older 60G iPod Photo which isn't as limited and doesn't have the volume limit feature in it which I like but I pretty much only use the iPod for a line level out to drive outboard amps even though I have a very efficient pair of headphones.
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

anybody have any headphones suggestions for something to pair with my 80gig video ipod? I'd like to keep it under $100, but i've been known to ignore budgets for the right piece of equipment.

I likely will never add a headphone amp as this system will almost exclusively be used portable and on-the-go.

thanks for your input.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I liked the Sennheiser PX100's, but they were very open (everyone can hear you). I have the PX200's now... the 100's sounded a bit better, but the 200's are more comfortable and don't radiate any sound. Awesome portability on both.

Grado SR-60's (or something like that?) were really good too.

www.headphone.com has been a good site in my experience.
HoseHead
Tim Horton Himself

Post by HoseHead »

1Gb iRiver with FM tuner.
Beat up old set of JVC headphone speakers transplanted into a set of industrial monster ear defenders.
Cable runs inside my shirt with slack around me sack.
I work with loud equipment as a hobby. Need the protection, but listen to music and news while working.
It's all gotta be 5 years old now, never a failure.

HH
The only stupid question is the one not asked .......
BH
Wretched Simmons

Post by BH »

dedlyjedly wrote:anybody have any headphones suggestions for something to pair with my 80gig video ipod? I'd like to keep it under $100, but i've been known to ignore budgets for the right piece of equipment.

I likely will never add a headphone amp as this system will almost exclusively be used portable and on-the-go.

thanks for your input.
There are some very nice portable headphone amplifiers. And also some really nice bags that make them even more portable. Honestly if you want to go w/ a really nice pair of headphones the amp makes a big difference. You wouldn't run deck power in your car if you had good speakers would you?
BH
Wretched Simmons

Post by BH »

stipud wrote:I liked the Sennheiser PX100's, but they were very open (everyone can hear you). I have the PX200's now... the 100's sounded a bit better, but the 200's are more comfortable and don't radiate any sound. Awesome portability on both.

Grado SR-60's (or something like that?) were really good too.

www.headphone.com has been a good site in my experience.
The Grado's have been an audiophile favorite for MANY years. They are only slightly lacking in the style category. They look like old wood cans but they are very nice listening phones!
BH
Wretched Simmons

Post by BH »

HoseHead wrote:1Gb iRiver with FM tuner.
Beat up old set of JVC headphone speakers transplanted into a set of industrial monster ear defenders.
Cable runs inside my shirt with slack around me sack.
I work with loud equipment as a hobby. Need the protection, but listen to music and news while working.
It's all gotta be 5 years old now, never a failure.

HH
You should look into the new IEM headphones. They go into your ears like earplugs and provide wonderful isolation from the outside world and give you fantastic audio quality. I really love my Etymotic ER-4Ps but wanted more comfort for very extended use (8 hours a day). I find that the custom ear molds I had done by an audiologist are the most comfortable headphone I could ever imagine! I'll post a picture when I get a chance.
Hontzo_MD

Post by Hontzo_MD »

I have the 60gb ipod/video, set of big old MB Quart headphones, I am shopping for a set of in-ear style, and an amp though.
REALLY!?
"Im not even supposed to be here today!"-Dante Hicks
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

4GB iPod nano w/ Sennheiser PX100

Sounds great for a tiny little combo but I really wish the open design of the PX100 didn't require it to leak so much sound. On a quieter train ride, the people beside me can hear my music with some degree of clarity even though I don't have it turned up very loud simply because the PX100 tends to be leaky.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

BH wrote:
There are some very nice portable headphone amplifiers. And also some really nice bags that make them even more portable. Honestly if you want to go w/ a really nice pair of headphones the amp makes a big difference. You wouldn't run deck power in your car if you had good speakers would you?
Well, I just got some Sennheiser HD280Pro's and they've been very good. the attenuation of outside noises is fantastic. they are an exceptional sealed headphone. I must admit though, I'm intrigued as to how much better they could be. My 80 gig video ipod seems to be limited on the volume output as mentioned previously, but even before max volume the headphones begin to break up.

any suggestions for affordable and more importantlly very portable headphone amps to take advantage of these headphones?
Last edited by dedlyjedly on Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joyride

Post by joyride »

Sony Vaio 40 gig. I couldnt settle with the terrible sound of the ipod. The output is much better on the Sony. Typically use the stock headphones walking to class, but I have some old Sony ones that work great and are comfortable to wear for long periods of time (cant remember the model).

I was also thinking of new headphones, but the in ear style that Ive worn irritate me after 15 minutes. However, I have never work a set that is over $100. Do the expensive ones still irritate people?
BH
Wretched Simmons

Post by BH »

dedlyjedly wrote:
BH wrote:
Well, I just got some Sennheiser HD280Pro's and they've been very good. the attenuation of outside noises is fantastic. they are an exceptional sealed headphone. I must admit though, I'm intrigued as to how much better they could be. My 80 gig video ipod seems to be limited on the volume output as mentioned previously, but even before max volume the headphones begin to break up.

any suggestions for affordable and more importantlly very portable headphone amps to take advantage of these headphones?[/quote]

The amplifier that I designed and built for my office is a slightly beefier version of this:
http://www.headphone.com/products/headp ... ro-amp.php