windows xp

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

windows xp

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

my computer was a freebie from a buddy, it came with XP. now the computer was originally used in a computer college of his dads. they went under so his oldman fled the country, leaving his son with a huge stash of computers. heres the problem, my xp is no longer registered? i am unable to get updates or anything.
how safe is it to burn a copy from a torrent and then run it. seems scary to me but i dont want or have the $ to spend on a new copy. what do you guys think? ive seen them on torrent finder with keys included.
sorry forgot to mention my buddy cant find his copy of xp. so no help from him
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

The computer itself should have it's CD key on a sticker on the side of the computer. Just get a copy of XP from the internet and use the CD key you already have.
Boomshackalacka
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Nope, there has been some stickers peeled off of it, right on the front of the tower :( Yeah, I cant find a key sticker anywhere. Do you think they might have put it on the inside panel of the tower for security purposes?
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Is the computer a generic PC or is a big name like Dell, HP or whatnot?

Some of the generic builders won't put the CD key sticker on the case and just give you the XP CD + key separately.

I'd also be weary of XP ISOs, I've definitely heard of people distributing Windows with trojans/viruses/worms in the installer.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

No its a generic. yeah ive heard that about the XP ISO's aswell. arrghh this is frustrating
I might aswell add this.
Generic with Pentium3 processor
797MHz
and 512MB of RAM
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

Try and find a copy of the XP black torrent it works flawless you don't even need a cd key for it. it installs automatically.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

GEEEZZZ. What version, theres some with 3000+mb, and some with only 700 or so. the larger torrent would obviously be the full meal deal, right?
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Yea, full of viruses. :lol:

Go for a copy around 700MB or so
Boomshackalacka
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Pretty sure you can change your CD key, if that's the only reason.
http://www.petri.co.il/change_the_seria ... ows_xp.htm

What version do you have, pro or home?
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

pro. I just perused the website and i believe that should work.The first part of the page explains exactly what is happening with my copy of windows. thanks guys ill keep you posted.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

My windows is invalid. :( There are still a few things to try out. gotta find a valid key :x
GX3

Post by GX3 »

I have a copy of XP slipstream it auto installs and will update (its sp1). I can burn you a copy and send it if the nothing else works out for you. I have been using it on my laptop for 2 or 3 years now with no problems.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

GX3 wrote:I have a copy of XP slipstream it auto installs and will update (its sp1). I can burn you a copy and send it if the nothing else works out for you. I have been using it on my laptop for 2 or 3 years now with no problems.
working on it as we speak, if i cant fix it in a couple hours i'll let you no asap. thanks guys :D
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

GX3 wrote:I have a copy of XP slipstream it auto installs and will update (its sp1). I can burn you a copy and send it if the nothing else works out for you. I have been using it on my laptop for 2 or 3 years now with no problems.
Im gonna hit you up on that offer GX3, pm me with details 8)
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

I can send you a copy of xp black if you are interested. It takes all the updates.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

gridracer wrote:I can send you a copy of xp black if you are interested. It takes all the updates.
Yes please, this is pissin me off, tried downloading a copy from bitjunkie , but its missing some files. PM me. How do you want to send it? Or whats the easiest way.
GX3

Post by GX3 »

OMFG after two hours of trying to upload it came back failed ..... any one know how to transfer 600M files ????

oldskool do you have limewire ???? i can down load it and give you my ip and you can get it that way
GX3

Post by GX3 »

ok i have lime wire up its the best way i can find right now to do this. In place of setting up an FTP on my PC. I tried to do that tonight with no luck Ill PM you my direct connect IP and have it up until you get back to me.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Hey GX3, Im downloading it right now. Once its done Ill let you know.
Thanx again, OSMSF :)
GX3

Post by GX3 »

50kbps is as fast as limewire goes :!: :?: :!: :?: god that sucks my modem upload speed is 1.2 mps .... sorry its going to take forever to download ...... I have to ask what is OSMSF ?????
GX3

Post by GX3 »

once you get it all downloaded un zip it burn it on to a disk and boot from you cd drive it will unpack and load xp for you.... just have all you file you want to save first it will format the drive
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

GX3 wrote: I have to ask what is OSMSF ?????
it's his screen name... :)
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

downloaded :D
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

GX3 wrote:once you get it all downloaded un zip it burn it on to a disk and boot from you cd drive it will unpack and load xp for you.... just have all you file you want to save first it will format the drive
Im still a little unfamiliar with rar files, you say unzip, is that the same as extract? I just want to make sure, I dont want to f this up. Maybe you could give me a quick tutorial(rar files 4 dummies :lol: )
GX3

Post by GX3 »

yup same as extract.... sorry bout that ......... just create a folder to extract it to then burn that to a disk and boot the pc from your cd drive it will auto run from there at the end of the install it will tell you to change your key just x out of that window and start your updates have all your drivers on hand for your NIC , audio, video and so on. Dont for get about PDF, java flash and shockwave and apple quicktime