momstang rebuild begins.

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: momstang rebuild begins.

Post by ttocs »

yea I have to think that they HAD to know that there was just no freaking way in heck that they were going to get it done in 2 weeks if they didn't even start till the 6 week mark. I bought their excuse the first time because I have a cnc and I know how when things are off by hair shit don't fit but when they gave the exact same excuse the 2nd time with the same timeframe I knew it was time to start looking for an alternative.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I had not realized I have not updated this for so long because its just been the usual, one thing after another. I finally went a different rout with the shifter and I had the stock parts machined so that they would allow the bolts that were sticking up and making contact to be replaced with bolts that could be recessed so they were flush with the cover. This got me another 3/8".
with that and just a little bit of work with my bfh it just barely slid into place and I thought I could declare victory after making a new center mount for the X-pipe but I was wrong. I had to have my driveshaft shortened and I dropped it off at a local shop that said they would have it done in 2 days. Naturally a week later I have to call them to tell them that I will be picking up my shaft this afternoon/evening and if it isn't done I will be taking it to the shop down the street that I already spoke to, they have availability. Go figure when I went to pick it up that they were just finishing up on it finally. Then I went to turn the key on and I hear liquid hitting the ground and look to discover I have a massive fuel leak on a part that I have been doing no work on. AFter some investigating I found out the o-rings that were on my dist block that splits it needed to be replaced. AFter that it started up but it was not revving right for some reason. I suspected my throttle position sensor was having issues and wanted to hook up my laptop to see what it showed but I got a new laptop earlier this year and the build of the software available was higher than the one on the ecu which meant I needed to update the firmware on the ecu. I hate that crap and it took a few days to sort out what needed to be done and then it did show I was having issues with the tps so I go to the store and it takes 4 days to get one. I wait 4 days, plug it in and the first thing I have to do is program the tps and it would not program. The old one would program but still revved wrong so it led me to believe that the new tps was bad. I go to the store to replace it and now it will take 5 days to get another........ 5 days later it finally came in, plugged in and finally freaking programmed and revved correctly, it had a shifter, driveshaft, new orings/tps and I was sure I was forgetting something but I was finally able to get it out on the road. I am happy to report that after only a short drive that there was no vibrations, shakes or noises and at 55 mph in 6th it is just under 1500 prms, perfect. I am dying to take it for a long enough drive to break in the trans but I had another date I had been looking forward to now for a while

18 months ago I saw an advertisement online to drive supercars on the track including a 2020 GT500. I HAD to do it and then was looking forward to it when covid hit, and it was delayed 5 months. Then the date came and I drove 5 hours round trip only to get rained out. This year I decided to go just outside of indy to meet up with some old friends and it all could not have worked out better. We got there right at lunch and they had all the cars lined up to cool off and said we were welcome to drool on them as long as we wiped it up with our headsocks.
certainly all cool cars with out needing to be said but I had a date with the most powerful out of them all. 760 hp on tap and who can hate on that orange?

The car was freaking amazing. I was scared as hell the first 2 laps as I was sure the back end would wan to break loose with all that power so I slowly started to get into it further. By the last lap I got it up to 130 mph on the straight and went white knuckled into the corner with the abs braking starting to kick. They have a camera set up in the car to record it and I have to say it just doesn't catch how fast we were going, how good it sounded and of course the feeling of acceleration. It never stopped going faster the entire time I had my foot on the pedal. Here is the vd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOAr2yqIYz0
After talking to the crew working there they said that the porsche was their favorite as it was just a great/fun track car with a nice interior. I got to check something off my bucket list and next year I look forward to checking an exotic off with either the lamborghini that was my 2nd fav sounding car or the porsche to experience what they say. All around it was a good day just because I don't get out of town almost ever because of my stomach crap and it was really great to hook up with 2 of my oldest friends that were close to it.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Its been one thing after another but I finally have it running and staying cool. I had been having issues with it getting up to 225 on short drives and discovered the aftermarket fan I have kinda sucks. It only moved 1300 cfm so I found one that moves 2400 and now its finally staying cool. I also made an adjustment on the clutch and now its feeling super smooth. I also splurged and got a killerglass rad pipe. The old hose was always an issue because of that big old PG alt with the fan on the front they were too close. After noticing that it had touched it a couple of times I decided to go with this solution because it gave the option to have it bent at the angle and lenghts I ordered and its made from pyrex so it looks cool.
and then at night.

So now with that taken care of I can start to look back at the stereo.
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

Are you running alcohol/water injection with the supercharger
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

at the moment no but if you at the pic right in front of the pipe there is a long flat tank that I built into the radiator mount to hold meth. The kit is there I just have not figured it all out and turned it on yet. I only got on it enough yesterday for the first time to hear the bypass valve kick.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Gotta say I love that thing. It worked out perfect that it gave more space by the alt fan and looks cool as shit.

Today I finally was able to get the alignment done! Of course as I am enjoying it driving straight I hear some noise starting from the rear brakes I will be investigating next. But the drive home was fun when a challenger with a 20 yr old rolled by and gave a rev. I responded by hitting my loud button and giving two back. We were in 4pm traffic so there wasn't any room for any real fun but we did a couple short pulls in 4th but he still had dealer test plates on it(lol) and I am on a new tranny so I don't think either of us were on it all the way but it was fun.

Also check out what I found on ebay. An add for the ms1000

now with some good weather(and if the brakes are no problem) I hope to get the trans properly broke in.

lilviper

Post by lilviper »

Thats one pretty car.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I knew building the first car of my life I would have some setbacks and monday was my first. I have been chasing an oil leak for a while now and last week I tore the top of the motor apart to the lower intake to replace some gaskets on it. I went for a drive and then threw some fresh cardboard under it in hopes of finding it dry a little later. 30 mins later a neighbor knocked on the door to ask if I could help with his garage door opener so went into the garage to get my meter and found it full of smoke. I opened the outer door and threw the hood open to see flames on the floor on the passenger side of the engine bay so I grabbed my fire ext and started spraying and prayin. The cardboard under it was the main part of the flames but I could also tell it got a good amount of wiring as well. After getting it up in the air I got a closer look and it looks like some of the trans wiring came loose and landed on the cat converter which of course started that harness on fire. It continued up the harness to where the airlines meet up with it an melted them and when that happened the front end fell down and then caught the cardboard on fire. The worst of the damage was that it melted part of the holley ECU wiring at the firewall bad enough that it needs to be replaced and holley is pretty damn proud of those harnesses. In addition some of the trans wiring and I am afraid the housing that the reverse lockout solenoid plugs into melted into the harness. It looks like it is replaceable but I have not talked to the trans place yet. I have also ordered a $100 worth of various heat shielding........ Sucks but like the phoenix it will rise from the flames.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Oh jesus Scott, really sorry to hear that! But at least you caught it before something considerably worse happened. Still... ouch. Really sorry for you man!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

stipud wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:36 am Oh jesus Scott, really sorry to hear that! But at least you caught it before something considerably worse happened. Still... ouch. Really sorry for you man!
Thanks dude, how are you holding up?