K20D or K7?

Like snapping pictures? Amateurs, hobbyists and professionals all enthusastically supported!
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

K20D or K7?

Post by bretti_kivi »

I need a second body. I am 90+% sure I have a wedding to do in August, I have a meet shortly afterwards, I have another person shoot in June. Those will all pay money. Two Christenings next spring will be freebies, but I expect to deliver quality pics.

What body? K7 is $1300, K20D is around $700. The K7 does ISO6400 and 5 frames / sec; the K20D only ISO1600 with noise and 3fps.
The K7 has a bigger (different) battery; I have two for the K10D. They would fit, as would my grip, but the K7 needs a different one.
All lenses work on all bodies.

I can probably stretch to the K7, the 20D is relaitvely easily doable. They both run at 14MP. The K7 is fresh and minty, the K20D a couple of years old (but I'd be buying a new one, anyways). The K7 is slightly lighter than the 20D, slightly lighter again than my K10D. I'm not really worried about that.

Thoughts, please!

Bret
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

i have no idea what you just said other then "i need a second body" you should go for one similar to matthew mcconaughey. the ladies love him!
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

Camera body, dear fellow, not beefcake :shock:

:whistle: :lol:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Hmmm... I don't know much about wedding photography but I presume it will be mostly flash work, and you won't need to worry about high ISO. Certainly FPS is going to be a non-issue. Having your two bodies sharing parts is a definite bonus as well. The K20D seems like it would be more than sufficient.

But since the K20 is old, when is its replacement due? Either buy the new replacement, or take advantage of the bargain price drops on the K20's.
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

One of the reasons for swaying towards the K7 is the ability to go high ISO if wanted / needed. It saves using a lens at the edge of its ability (like the 85 @ f2), and enables slightly faster aperture speeds. That's sometimes all it takes to make a really cool shot. I'm really tempted on the 20D because it would leave some cash over for more lenses and, as you said, the compatibility with the present kit.

But high ISO would be really nice for those occasions where I really need it. I have to check out the stuff from last night, I played with ISO 1250, flash, and mild overexposure. That should avoid too much graininess, but churches without flash are dark and difficult. Since I intend to do quite a few of these (a thousand for a 'tog is normal but it's three days solid work...) maybe the 7 would be good. But of course, that also assumes I can get hold of one!

Bret
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Grab the K7, then trade your K10D to me for my K100D. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Afterall, it's just a back up right??!! :twisted: :twisted:

Honestly though, you should be able to pick up a K20D for a good price right now because everyone is dumping them to go to the K7. It's a tough call, the K7 seems like a lot better camera, but would you use all of the features?? Add to that the fact that you have to start over with accessories and it seems like it's going to be a tall order to go to a K7.

I just might try to talk the wife into letting my upgrade right now because of all of the used bodies on the market right now because of everyone switching to the K7. It just might work out for me! :wink:
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

from the 100d, go 10D first. if you can find one with <10k actuations, it ought to be around $3-400. Ohyeah, if you then want to lose the 100D for a couple hundred, LMK, because I want a cam I can throw up an antenna and not worry about. And my wife needs something small :D
I can also strongly recommend a couple of custom settings on the K10D. It's been my "friend" for the last 2.5 years (literally yesterday broke the 30k actuation barrier) and I really like it. That's another reason I'm up for the 20D, as the learning curve won't be so steep. Plus I can always upgrade later, if and when I start doing this kind of thing regularly.

After reading the K7 will not be available in quantity until early / mid July... well, that's too late. I need mid July because I ain't doing a wedding as the first use of a cam and I will need time to bed things in.
So, maybe a k20d and a 24-70/2.8 ....thinking about it, that combo should be less than eight hundred. I think that's the way to go right now, I will sleep on it and wait on my 85. Will probably need to sell the 50-200, but that's OK as I can replace it later and don't use it that much.

Bret
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

I finally got my M42 adapter today so I can play around with this old 50mm f/1.4 that I have sitting around. If I like it I just might go after some other M42 lenses! :hurr:

I would think that you could find a used K20D for a good price on pentax forums right now. I know everyone is going gaga over the K7 and dumping their current gear to get one. :wink:
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]