I gotz studio lightz :D

Like snapping pictures? Amateurs, hobbyists and professionals all enthusastically supported!
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

I gotz studio lightz :D

Post by bretti_kivi »

Finally, I have some serious flashes. Elinchrom Dlite 2 and 4 with stands and one shoot through, one reflective umbrella.
Got them yesterday, had to use them in anger today. They came with both UK and EU plugs (which was a nice touch) and cool bags which might actually protect them on a plane.

In the garage, I was at 1/160 and f/16 with them bounced / umbrella'd. Today, in the church, they were too far away and I had problems getting the portable flashes to work correctly. Very annoying, should have been there ten minutes earlier - and I also forgot my diffuser. ARGH!

Anyways, I'll do some more playing shortly and post the results.

Bret
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

NICE!! :clap:
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Very nice.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

I realise now just how important DIYPhotography is.

I set the lights up so they were running at minimum power. One left, one right, object on a white board on a translucent plastic box.
Portable flash on 1/64th power inside the box; one main flash on radio trigger, everything else on optical.
First, I forgot the background. Cue some office paper.
Then I thought it was all great - not really.

see the results (these have some level tweaks)....

I'm happy with this apart from the reflection. I didn't see it on screen....

these were the others (recognise the object in the reflection?)

not bad, but uneven background lighting

This one shows the ineffectiveness of the bottom flash when dealing with dark colours:

I want a table now with slopes and bottom-lit, followed by a background. Will have to work on that, I'm not going to get it any time soon unless I build it. Will hopefully have some work in the spring doing some wheel product shots :)

Bret